NMS Labs
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100

Working at NMS Labs: 31 Reviews

United States31 reviews

Fulfilling job, but experiences may vary greatly

The company has a solid environment overall, but within each department there are self contained ecosystems. The supervisor you get will determine whether you have career advancement or just get micromanaged. If you are trying to build experience, then this is a perfect environment, however it may not be what you want long term.

Pros

Good benefits, good work environment but highly dependent on supervisor

Cons

Pay is low, Some supervisors are not good communicators and do not help with advancement

Disorganized and harmful

My trainers didn’t have time to train me so I was not able to succeed and I was blamed for failing. They want more than what they are willing to pay for.

NMS Labs insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Poor management and toxic work environment

The company overworks its employees which causes excessive burn out with high employee turn over rates. There is poor management with most supervisors and lab managers sitting behind their desks or in daily meetings to really have a handle on their department. The job culture is a facade of employee well-being and is in actuality a toxic work environment that feeds on shift division, hostility and bullying. I would not recommend this company to anybody who values their mental health and work-life balance.

Great place to start in a lab setting

I started this job with absolutely no lab experience and have learned so much within my time there. I am constantly learning new things. You need to be able to work in a fast placed environment and be able to grasp things quickly. Pay could be better but for it being something starting out, it’s good!

Not the worst but

Lots of micromanagement and no direct room for professional growth. Pay and benefits weren't terrible but overall left a lot to be desired. Positive work was never acknowledged and any mistake was constantly talked about.

Cool place to work but poor management

During the training, it was very chaotic and multiple people were training the new people at one time. Felt difficult to work around those who had bad attitudes so it caused a rift in the work environment. I made one mistake while I was there and my “trainer” made sure that everyday I would know that she had a chip on her shoulder about it. I felt like I was walking on eggshells around her and whenever she wasn’t there I worked to the best of my ability. It always felt like she had an attitude towards me and that made me feel like I was in a hostile working environment.

Pros

Great entry level position for people interested in forensics

Cons

Training is chaotic, fast paced

Great Company, Horrible Department

Stay away from the Specimen Processing department. NMS is an amazing company, but unfortunately the huge faults in the management in SP will be a reason for their demise. The supervisors are rude, disrespectful, and do not appreciate what you do. If you talk to anyone, even for ten seconds or about work related things, you are yelled at. The department already is stressful due to the amount of work, so being constantly berated by management isn’t great for morale. Also, if you ever do anything wrong, be prepared for supervisors to talk behind your back and make you feel inadequate. They like to pretend that they are nice, but I promise you they are not.

Pros

interesting job, great company

Cons

horrible management

Pros and cons like any career

It’s been an interesting change in dynamic, to say the least. Previously, there were issues with direct management and favoritism, now it’s more upper management and the trickle down effect. Benefits are ridiculously expensive, pay is decent. Supportive teams, low turnover (in our department), company perks are nice. NMS just isn’t what it was though.

Pros

Great team, mentors, low turnover

Cons

Upper management, expensive benefits

Great Entry Level Position

This job was my first official job after graduating college. I did enjoy my time here as I feel I learned a lot and had a great boss. I worked with some great people while employed here. I do feel that the pay rate could have been better, however the reason I am no longer working here is due career goals which differ from the work being done at NMS.

Pros

Pretzel Day

Overall positive experiences

I got this job right after graduating college and I have learned a lot in the years that I've been here. My coworkers are great and management has improved a lot in the time I've been here. I have a few gripes but who doesn't with their job. Great place to start and opportunities to learn a lot. Jobs in higher up positions do not open often and different supervisors promote faster than others.

Okay place

iwould recommend working there short term only. Raises r very slow. A capable worker can find a better company. Managers not so good. Poor communication especially for mandatory meetings notice. A place to work for the unskilled and fairly desperate. Good for entry level skill sets. For short term or people with low ambition . or under educated .

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Good company to work for straight out of college

The pay isn’t great but you learn a lot. Depending on which department you work in, they offer a good amount of hands-on training. Must be attentive, be detail oriented and expect to work long hours. There is always something to do so there is not much downtime. Upper management needs to figure out the kinks because employees can feel the tension of upper management trickle down throughout the entire company. Also don’t expect large pay raises and climbing the ranks takes some time. Coworkers are friendly and they make the workday bearable. It can be a fun place to work but very competitive. The company boasts about being a family run laboratory but they try to act like a large corporation.

Pros

Learn a lot in the lab

Cons

Stressful environment and no work/life balance

Opportunity for Improvement

1. Collaboration: I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission. This truly creates a family environment where everybody is there for each other. 2. Work life balance 3. Company Culture 4. Challenges: I love how my boss constantly believes in me. feeling a sense a of accomplishment when I am up against the deadline and we only have one shot to get it right and it turns out better than we could have imagined. having a boss that appreciates the work I do and always thanks me for the hard work at the end of the day.

Most co-workers are very helpful, support staff is excellent

Long days Efforts go unappreciated Everyone works hard Training program is excellent Support staff is excellent Learning, collaborative culture Communication is sometimes lacking but efforts are made

Pros

Free food, decent benefits

Cons

poor attitudes

Nice work culture

Liked most of my co workers in my department although the work is very tiring and pay isn’t the best. Promotions take some time to happen but are posssible

Exactly what you expect out of a nine to five.

They do have some office perks like small events and free food once a week but 9/10 times, you go in, do your work, and go home. There's nothing to complain about.

Pros

frequent events, free food

N/a

Upper management needs to listen more to those who actually do the work Career advancement is a popularity contest HR is not confidential Lab supervisors have too much pressure Recognition is not uniform. Some people are recognized and others aren't for accomplishing same thing

Pros

There is always something to do

Cons

Advancement is haphazard

N/a

The people were friendly and helpful when you needed help. Training took a very long time and some of it seemed unnecessary. There was a 1.5 hour session on basic lab math...

Pros

Helpful people

Cons

stressful work

odd place

unusual business model as an independent forensic lab. business is challenged with outdated management techniques, impacts even more due to competition with larger companies and industry consolidation

Organized with Decent Benefits

Organization was well-established with far-reaching reputation. Health insurance provided good coverage. Company also matched up to 5% towards 401K. Great work experience.

Poor Management

It seems like the higher-ups of the company are just out for themselves and their own advancement. There seems to be an awful lot of traveling around outside of the country when the business is in the United States . I'm not sure if any of them know what they're doing. Or if the company really values corporate conciousness. HR for sure cannot be trusted and doesn't do a very good job in helping to keep the good people. If you perform well and get really knowledgeable then you may become a threat to others and they get upset. There are also some people that are really nasty that no one understands why they are still there. Really puzzling culture. And stressful. I have not seen the family involved with the day to day operations for years.

Pros

Great health insurance

Cons

So many to list

Common questions about NMS Labs

Answered by current and former employees at NMS Labs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NMS Labs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight