Nong La Cafe

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Nong La Cafe is the best place to work if you want to be a server

Nong La Cafe is a great little northern Vietnamese restaurant on Sawtelle. A typical day at Nong La is stocking condiments, utensils, and beverages then prepping Togo's and sauces for the unpredictable rush of customers on the busy streets of Sawtelle. Nong La Cafe straddles on the lovely in-between of pulling lucrative tips for the least amount of serving work! Which is a good goal if you're trying to be sustainable lol Nong La's management is prompt and personal which makes for smoother solutions to unpredictable problems. Also, they are very flexible in scheduling and won't press you to work more than you have to, which is great. The hardest part of the job is the customer service part which is the fault of the company but more the customer culture itself. Every now and again, you'll get entitled ignorant customers acting like they own this very restaurant barking orders at the servers... That can be debilitating since the service industry is about about "TAKE TAKE TAKE" from the servers and that can take a toxic toll after awhile... I learned a lot there like my broken restaurant Espanol, Bun Bo Hue, and the value of communication. Also, Nong La taught me to give everyone a chance to match the company's character but be real enough to let them people go if they don't match

Pros

Free meal every shift

Cons

The menu stays the same

One of the very few resaurant companies that feed their employees for free

They also do annual Christmas parties at Bowling alleys and they give out individual gift cards. Pretty neat, most restaurants treat their employee like expendable cattle. It's a nice change of humane pace.

The best place!

This was the best place I've ever worked at! I had to move out of state which was why I quit. The people there are so amazing! They all take care of each other, there's honestly no bad thing to say about this place. Yes there are some ups and downs and very interesting customers, but other than that this is a great place to work at!

Pros

Cons

nothing!

Good work enviorment.

On a normal day when I start my shift I began frying eggrolls and partially cooking some meat for so it would be faster to prepare orders. Co-workers and management were all friendly. The job was simple and straight forward the only difficult thing was when there was downtime. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience since I had never worked in a kitchen before that.

Pros

Free lunch from anything on the menu

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Nong La Cafe?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nong La Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.8