NORC at the University of Chicago Employee Reviews

Low-stress and easy-going workplace.
Professional Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 19, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere, calls come in at a constant flow which does not leave much "down time", this is a good thing. Get to speak to many people with different back-grounds while conducting surveys.
Pros
Free coffee/hot chocolate machines & they are lenient on time off requests.
Cons
Breaks are paid, which makes them short.
Great for part/full time !
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Very flexible income if you dont mind sitting long periods of time and talking to strangers. The surveys are very informative and help the nation but require you to discuss ( if people are comfortable) their personal information for research purposes.
Fun place to work
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
I worked here after I got out of high school. I was balancing going to a city college and working here. It’s a nice place to work where I provided wonderful customer service skills
Productive and enjoyable company to work for
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  IdahoSeptember 9, 2018
Training provided and supervisor was supportive and available whenever a problem arose. Able to set own time schedule for scheduling in home interviews
Pros
paid mileage, flexible working hours and days
Great Company
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
excellent company to work, I have worked for them for years and could not be happier. Part Time and temporary positions are available. Will work for them again in the future
Simple but boring
Professional Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 20, 2018
Cold calls to people all accross the country to qualify for a government study. Can take a lot of time before getting someone willing to participate. Flexible with hours and 2nd jobs.
Great
Network Engineer/Infrastructure Group (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2018
One of the great places to work for.Great team and top notch technology.Everything is cloud based and virtualized.i really recommend this place for engineers.
High pressure work environment with staff dedicated to company mission
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILAugust 7, 2018
I worked at NORC for 23 years and watched it triple in work over that period. Colleagues were interesting and devoted to the mission of the company, which was to conduct social science research in the public interest. High pressure work environment with some opportunity to conduct one's own research. Employees were well paid.
Horrible place , but good for pay
Professional Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 21, 2018
Managers, a rude and don't care. High turnover rate and not as organized as they lead on. It was a living her working at the call center, especially for the benefits that each project brings.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
everything else
The Most Enjoyable Part of this Job
TELEPHONE INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 4, 2018
The most enjoyable part of being a telephone interviewer is talking to caring people on the phone. You have those that will complain because you interrupted their tv time or dinner, etc. but the majority of people I spoke to on the phone was parents that wanted to answer the questions about their child's/children's immunizations or elderly people that wanted to give details about their doctors.
Pros
Speaking to positive people, Sitting next to interesting people, Meeting strangers but by the end of the shift making new friends
Cons
Short breaks, No benefits, Limited number of hours
Top Notch Social Science Research
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 4, 2018
As a Field Interviewer my schedule is flexible. I participate in a nationally vital study that collects raw data for research scientists. Many of my respondents, I have known for years. They have known me and I them. I work 25 hours per week setting appointments, participating in individual and team calls from my remote supervisor. I am assigned a computer and work from home. The company has been extremely generous by donating over $4 per hour worked on the project to my 403B. I occasionally fly to Chicago for training. I feel valued and work hard to meet the teams goals eac round. If you are given an opportunity to work for this company you will be given opportunities to travel and move up depending on you productivity and efficiency.
Pros
403B contribution, flexible schedule, temporary, amazing vacation and holiday pay
Cons
No health care
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
Turnover rate was very high and no opportunity for advancement. Morale very low. the Management team showed no sign of leadership or understanding about staff's personal situation.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
Great work girls
Recuiter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2018
I like it a lot you got the chance to make your own. Schedule it was a good experience and you can move up in the company very quickly you just have to make sure you keep your schedule
Previously
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJune 16, 2018
I no longer work for NORC. NORC says they welcome your opinion, but they actually don't. They are never interested in any suggestions. I learned successful strategies throughout the years.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
software
Workplace culture
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 14, 2018
This employment has varied programs allowing for variety in what you are doing Relaxed environment. Open break plan. Coffee is free. Snack room has vending machines which you can use credit or cash
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
No Benefits
Slow and somewhat strict environment.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEWER (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2018
There was no culture in the workplace. Communicating with your neighbor was almost frowned upon. You would walk into the building, clock in and get to work immediately. Taking calls is all we would do and if we had a conversation with our neighbor our MOD would tell us to stray away from conversations.
Pros
Decent Pay.
Cons
Short breaks, No culture in the work place.
Stressful calls,high turnover rate.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 31, 2018
Regular call center. Dealt with lots of rude people and read the same script for my entire shift. It got too boring,and they don’t allow you to do much at your desk.
Pros
Free coffee, good hours, work with schedule
Cons
Rude clients, not enough to keep you awake and alert
Very diverse environment; Wonderful people to get to know; highly populated by students of all levels.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2018
A typical day included calling households nationally to screen for qualified respondents for surveys. I learned a most important role that surveys have in American culture. This is a windows to the world position that is very fast paced. The training is very thorough and consistent.
Pros
Meeting people nationally and overseas over the phone.
Cons
When respondents are irate is difficult. Also, the metric curveball over completed surveys kept a lot of people on edge, including myself.
I felt that the job I held "made a difference."
Field Supervisor/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA and NCMay 19, 2018
There was no typical day at work because the studies were adapted to the respondents availability and location. For this reason, there was never a boring day.

As a Project Field Manager, time flexibility was essential, while hours and dollars per case were expected to be kept to a minimum.

Because I worked out of my office as opposed to a group setting, training sessions with others was a plus, for the camaraderie and education.

I especially enjoyed supervising the field interviews who were always a talented and inventive group.
Pros
Social Science projects had meaning and were worthy of my time.
Cons
Scheduling personal time while maintaining project deadlines.
n/a
Medical Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
I do not have anything negative nor positve to say about national opinion research center. None applicable about the entire work experience. In the Past

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORC at the University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about