NORC at the University of Chicago Employee Review

View all NORC at the University of Chicago reviews

NORC not as "rewarding" as it was made out to be
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2013
The promises in the ads NORC puts out sure knows how to reel you in. The big problem though is that this company falls very short on the delivery. I wouldn't take their ad for face value, if you know what I mean.
Don't expect much in the salary department. Their "competitive pay" is merely fancy wording for minimum wage. The environment is very controlled indeed, they put all of their energy in the wrong place. It seems as if management goes out of their way to see if you're committing any office crime, such as forgetting to punch time, barely overshooting on breaks or working a little too loudly(whatever that means.)
Speaking of management, they are a most conflicting bunch. It seems as though the different levels of management don't communicate with each other as well as they probably should. They do not make their guidelines for call production crystal clear. In fact, it sometimes seems as if their guidelines change on any given day. As a clerk, that makes it pretty difficult to know how to do your job, know when you're on top and when you're falling flat. They do offer the chance to have a 1-on-1 sit down to go over your stats. Unfortunately that turns out to be quite unproductive, as the person you meet with usually has no idea about the role of a production clerk, meaning they can't offer much in the way of advice or answer most questions you might have.
As for the actual work itself, in my opinion things can get a little tedious. There is little variety in regard to the kinds of tasks you perform; you're either on the phone, on the computer, or both. On the off-chance
  more... that there is another type of task available, you can pretty much forget about being considered for it if they already have you working the phones. Plus, I really didn't see many chances for true advancement during my time there. They only seemed to offer a handful of temporary projects, and once completed, it's right back to square one.
On the upside, alot of the other employees there are pretty pleasant, scheduling is quite flexible, and NORC really does have a great, easily accessible location. Just wanted to say that this was not intended as a bashing rant, so I hope it wasn't taken as such. I just wanted to try to paint a very honest picture about what kind of company this is so people would really know what they were walking into if considering employment here.
Pros
schedule flexibility, the location really is great
Cons
mediocre/flawed management, mundane work, minimal pay, very few chances for real advancement

Other NORC at the University of Chicago Employee Reviews

n/a
Medical Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2018
I do not have anything negative nor positve to say about national opinion research center. None applicable about the entire work experience. In the Past
Telephone Interviewing
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2018
Extremely helpful to learning how to create a win - win outcome such completing the task of conducting a full interview to completion with an incentive for participation. This experience was left with no regrets!
Pros
encounter some amazing people
Cons
verbatism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORC at the University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.