Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Cashier/hostess-Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 16, 2018
I loved working at Nordstrom it has great benefits & competitive compensation. There was room to move around in the company. They were very flexible with your schedule.
Nordstrom Ala Moana Beauty Department
Ala Moana Mall, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 16, 2018
To call and create new clients
I learned how to create your own customer base
Management was hard to communicate with
Workplace culture seemed very cliquey and selfish business mentality
To stay motivated to promote a beauty product I did not believe in
To be able to sell products that I love
Pros
20% discount
Cons
you're on your own
Welcoming environment, very team-orientated
Seasonal Sales/Customer/ Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILApril 16, 2018
A typical day at work at Nordstorm was informing customers about new product and reaching sale goals for the day. Another important task that Nordstorm focused on was/is customer service.
Pros
Customer relations
Cons
N/a
Good work place, fun people, work hard and you will do great.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2018
I developed great communication skills while working at Nordstroms. Working in a sales/comission environment dealing with the general public is not easy, but may be very rewarding. You will meet many wonderful people and will build your network. The problem with Nordstrom is that, the retail world is thriving only in the online spectrum. People are not shopping in store anymore unfortunately, due to effortless and efficiency of online shopping.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Can be slow and that will hurt your pay.
Strong Company Mindset on Customer Relation Building
Beauty Concierge (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 16, 2018
A typical workday in my role like any job had its ups and downs. Benefits are well balanced for a Company and if you are lucky enough to acquire a position within the Company that you are passionate about Nordstrom may be the route for you.
Pros
Customer Friendly
Cons
Partisan Career Advancement
Great company to work for
Sales Associate - Men's Sportswear (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 16, 2018
Great starting point for anybody. You work hard for your money and then some. You will make friends for life which is a good thing. Meeting and greeting poeple all day which will lead you to more repeat business down the road.
Pros
The more you sell the more you make, its that simple
Cons
Standing on your feet all day. Working hard for your money
Nordstrom, a good culture
Loss Prevention Specialist (Manager Track) (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXApril 16, 2018
Nordstrom was a good place to be employed, my concern was limited career advancement. Our team was responsible for incoming and outgoing product safety and distribution to all departments.
Pros
very clean and upbeat environment
Cons
low wages, and limited career advancement
Fun if you’re a people’s person
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2018
It’s fair but not enough to support the average adult’s cost of living here in Houston, Tx. I’m looking for a company to work for that’s willing to truly utilize my worth.
Pros
Working around people
Cons
Short hours
Lots of Drama
Sales assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 16, 2018
It a great place to work and advance, but there are no guarantees. You can lose benefits and position depending on sales even if the business is bad and the economy is suffering.
Pros
fun place
Cons
Too much drama
Culture rich and retail endangered
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYApril 15, 2018
Based on merchandise delivery and space availability for inventory
Days that were instrumental in reaching and aligning with clients and customer base seemed to be most productive. Utilization of the technology and teaming with company’s culture and successes have been the most positive impact both for learning and customer satisfaction.
Pros
Autonomy and customer relations
Cons
Management turnover

Want to know more about Nordstrom?

Ask a question
Very team-oriented and professional
Sales Representative in the Trend Department (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 15, 2018
Nordstrom puts a lot of faith in us to make good decisions and real relationships between their clients. You learn a lot about the decisions behind the layout of the store as well as the quality and precision of why they choose their products.
Productive fast place environinment
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2018
Must have sales experience, be willing to interact with all walks of life. Styling clients, and making reccomedations in personal book to build clientele is key
Pros
Discount, customer service and management training
Cons
Communication with department managers
excessive mandatory overtime causes burnout
Customer Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 13, 2018
i left Nordstrom after burning out from working 70 hours a week for a month. these hours were mandatory and we had employees passing out from being overworked.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
Burn-out due to excessive mandatory overtime.
nice environment to work
Denim Specialist/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOApril 13, 2018
Very progressive place to work all inclusive black white gay lesbian the work place makes everyone feel at home and welcomed only requirement is to enjoy fashion!
Typical day starts differently depending on your selling position your schedule is primarily chosen by where you rank in your department #1 usually opens and etc. Making relationships with customers to get them to come back and make more sales with you . The hardest most aggravating part of the job is their return policy because it is commission based you get paid by your sales if a person returns an item of regardless of reason they take there commission back which makes it hard to determine your checks. Most enjoyable part is that you meet people from every walk of life that you may not meet under other circumstances. They do like to promote from within so advancement is quite a possibility with many avenues to do that.
Pros
flexible schedules and possibility for advancement
Cons
unreliability with income
Great place to work.
Special Occasion Dress Sales (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2018
What impressed me most about working at Nordstroms was the way they treated employees. If you were willing to put in the time and effort you got rewarded. For my work in the department and meeting and exceeding my sales goals I was awarded:
• Named Nordstrom “All Star” in November 2017
• Achieved Gold Pacesetter for exceeding sales goals.
• #1 Dress Salesperson for the entire company of Nordstrom

Although a fancy lunch, getting up on stage to receive an award, all felt good, the warm fuzzy. They did not add to my financial compensation. This was frustrating and put me in the mind and action of seeking more financially sustainable employment.
Pros
Great benefits, departmental discounts etc...
Cons
No real way to easily navigate your financial growth
I liked to work at Nordstrom
Fitter/Tailor (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXApril 13, 2018
It was a little stressful to work there but pay was good.
I learned a lot abut sewing and taking care of customer.
Their customer service is really good. Their way of management was a little intimidating.. but I still feel that they were nice.
Fun Place. Good management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2018
I enjoyed working as a barista at the Ebar/Nordstroms. My manager was super understanding about my anxiety and always made sure I was doing ok. The pay was really good for the 20ish hours we all received. My coworkers were some of the best I ever worked with and I miss it there very much.
Pros
2 free beverages for Ebar employees on sbift, and normal Nordstrom discount. We got to take food we were throwing out home, and thats how alot of us got 3 meals a day.
Cons
Just occational rude customers.
Fun work environment
Bobbi Brown Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 13, 2018
Our mission is to make the day, everyday! I have learned management skills when dealing with my team and customers. We are coustomer obsessed and go over and behond our services. It can be challenging to Book events back to back from week to week. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching clients to look and feel good.
Pros
Great management
Cons
many days its to busy to take a break
Good teamwork
Retail Sales Associate/Women's Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2018
Assigned to an area to clean, put back items, work with a team and assist customers. Managed 10 employees and gave direction and guidance. Assisted with merchandising womens floor. Answered phones and cashed out customers.
Modern, fun, fresh workplace
Project Lead, Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2018
Worked in their HQ near Pike Place Market, so it was an awesome location and views were forever. Distinctive culture compared to other big Pacific Northwest companies I've worked, at, fun and upbeat. Structure lacking in many areas, I got the impression that management preferred it this way to promote an ad-hoc culture.
Leadership very customer-focussed but people seemed suspicious of favoritism, and quite a few promotions I observed did not make a lot of sense. Technology was pretty good, and loved their store discounts.
Pros
office environment, work location, upbeat feel all day long
Cons
odd choice for promotions, some troubling personalities in key positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K
42.3K
31.3K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

73out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Nordstrom.