Norfolk Southern Corp Employee Reviews

Stressful
Railroad Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 15, 2018
Working at Norfolk Southern was very and the trainmasters were not the best. It was long hours and not the best work environment. The benefits were the best thing about the job.
Benefits
Cons
Bosses
stressful place to work and always on call
Conductor (Former Employee) –  South Fork, PAJuly 13, 2018
stressful and also hotel stays with a 24 hour on call schedule, limited sleep with changing shifts. managers are hard to work with and the job in general is dangerous.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hotels and on call
If you value family life this job will be terrible
SIGNAL MAINTAINER (Current Employee) –  New York StateJuly 13, 2018
The job itself is not hard at all, the people who you work with make the jobs stressful and aggravating. The punishments for violating rules are not applied to everyone fairly, meaning different people get lesser punishments than others. CEO has no clue what he is doing, this company is a BILLION dollar company and there should be no excuse for paying employees accordingly, giving bonuses accordingly and buying and installing equipment accordingly. A CEO position is already set up before a new one comes all the new CEO had to do was sit down and shut up.
Pros
There is no pros once you weigh the cons
Cons
Wouldn't work here unless you are desperate for a job
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 12, 2018
The day they hire you is the day they will try to fire you. Kiss your life goodbye, no schedule at all you, will work every major holiday. The moral is terrible .
Pros
good pay
Cons
no life
very time consuming but you'll reap your rewards towards retirement
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, INJuly 12, 2018
Norfolk southern is a very rewarding job. A typical day consist on being on call until your spot has reached first on the boar. Once your spot has reached #1 you will receive a call telling your where and what train you have and its final desitination. Once the train arrive to it's home terminal you will be transported to hotel once rested you will repeat the same process. I feel Norfolk Southern was a great job just very time consuming.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
On call schedule & hotel lay-overs
My fellow employees were great! This is a great company with a few bad apples.
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2018
The company could use A lot of improvement in managing there workers and really getting to know them.. Have one on one with employees and see what's going on with there life as a whole and offer anything that may help.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Management and working conditions
Basic workplace
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
A typical day is 8-12 hours. I learned how to operate a locomotive. The hardest part of the job was being on-call and working multiple shifts per week.
Pros
Pay
Knowledge
Claim Agent/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 3, 2018
I was able to grow with the company. Given opportunities that allowed me to grow and gain valuable work experience. It is a very fast pace office and you need to be self driven and be able to self manage, in order to grow.
Continuous hostile work environment.
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, OHJuly 3, 2018
Would be excellent place to work, however recently the entire work environment has changed into one of constant stress and contentious atmosphere. As management has created a constant environment of a hostile work environment and looking to fire employees from day one.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Constant hostility and hostile work environment
Independent work, fast paced, thought provoking
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJune 28, 2018
In a typical day a yardmaster would inform me via phone or radio my instructions. The workplace is stressful at times but its definitely the last best job for "Americas's Dummies"
Pros
Pay, vacation, 401k
Cons
Management, advancement, "good ole boy" network
Norfolk
Chief Administrator/FCC Radio Records (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2018
I am a union employee and this company offers great benefits. The pay is pretty good however there will be many deductions every pay period. The company is a great place to work depending on the department.
Pros
great benenfits for union employees
Cons
poor management
Challenging, yet rewarding place to work.
Signalman/Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 20, 2018
I love how diverse my job is, here at Norfolk Southern (Signalman/Maintainer). I tend to get bored fairly quickly with things, and my position is constantly exposed to different scenarios (IE: different equipment that's being upgraded, terrain, job location). We definitely don't do the exact same thing very often at all.
High Stress And Fast Paced But SO Worth It
DISPATCHER/OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
My job was like an every day puzzle, it constantly challenged me and I loved every second of it. The pay was great. My coworkers were great. I LOVED my job.
managment is awful
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2018
Management knowingly breaks contract agreements and safety protocol for the benifit of the stockholders and without any disregard for the safety of their customers or employees.
Pros
Pay
Contractor
Help Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 19, 2018
Much of this does not apply. I was a contractor and therefore did not encounter these issues. The people I met were friendly and helpful. It took four weeks to get my PC and user credentials.
Pros
As contractor I have no idea.
Cons
As contractor I have no idea.
Great pay and retirement if you can make it to retirement
Rail Traffic Control (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 18, 2018
Wall Street is dictating to many business decisions when the decisions should be based on customer needs. Profits and shareholder dividends are all that matter currently in the railroad industry.
Pros
pay
Cons
lifestyle
Wonderful Place to Work
Regulatory Affairs (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 16, 2018
I'd recommend NS to anyone.It's a great place to work, with a wonderful culture, kind people, and strong leadership. It's great to be part of such an essential mission.
Great work place
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 14, 2018
I loved my job, hate I don’t have it anymore but things happen just have to keep pushing forward and hope for something better. Over all it was a great job
Fast Paced
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 12, 2018
You will not be able to find better pay and benefits but you will never be home. 48 hour round trips and often only 10 hours at home before starting another trip. no holidays and almost no time off. Management is harsh and you need the unions protection often even as an excellent employee. Can be dangerous.
Pros
Pay, benefits, pension
Cons
management, no breaks, long days, no home time
Stressful, Unfair pay, poor management
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 11, 2018
Poor management, the work environment is stressful, consistently force of overtime to pick up the slack, the constant unprofessionalism causes a great employee overturn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norfolk Southern Corp. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

47out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Norfolk Southern Corp.

Powered by Comparably