Norfolk State University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fast paced workplace
Administrative Assistant- Financial Aid Office (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 7, 2018
This job consisted of filing papers, entering data into student logs, and keeping track of every student who received a scholarship. The management team so spot on, they were welcoming and offered extra training.
Great place too get PhD
Full-time Ph.D. Student (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2018
Worked with highly educated and motivated caring staff. It was challenging but they expected the most and best out of their employers. Workplace culture is inviting to all races and sexes. The hardest part was meeting their strict expectations. The most enjoyable part was learning. I look forward to sharing the knowledge..
Pros
Team collaboration; Experienced saff
Cons
No Benefits part-time
Fun place to work at
Tech Support/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 3, 2018
The job was very straightforward. I helped customers with any computer related issues they had. If i was not able to help them, I would fill out a ticket for one of the senior reps to look into the issue.
Productive workplace
Housekeeper, Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 20, 2018
It was a great place to work although management was not good at all it was very un organized and they didn’t have an open door policy the mangers always gossip a lot telling the colleges personal business and I didn’t like that at all
Pros
Cons
Healthcare overtime
Professional Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2018
Norfolk State is a good place to work. However, the room for growth is there just not too much within the University. Management changes often as well.
productive and fun workplace
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2018
A typical day at work consist of being sure students are in class by taking attendance and reporting them if they are not in class, tutoring students and having a connection with the students. I learned how to be a successful mentor. The culture was very educational. There wasn't a hard part to the job. However the enjoyable part was when we had activities for them in the evening time.
Pros
fun
Great Place
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 17, 2018
I was a going there to get my master degree and working in the computer science department was definitely a wonderful experience for me. I learned a lot from great teacher and coworker
Noforlk State Internship
Consultant of the Athletic Department, Division I (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 6, 2018
Served as a consultant for the administrating athletic/campus events
Promoted events for the athletic department
Assisted in the marketing and academic department
Served as the liaison for student development and increased student involvement in women’s athletic programs
Pros
Great athletic environment, Staff and management
Cons
No Pay, No benefits
Provided opportunities to support 21st century adults.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 22, 2018
NSU is a university that actively engages in the creation of 21st century thinkers. This university and the department that I supported provided skills that allowed students to further their education in the areas of English, Communication, Speech, etc.
Pros
Obtained teacher experience at the university level
Cons
Job ended due to low enrollment
Ok
Registered nurse instruction (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 17, 2018
The co workers were wonderful. The constant changes in University Administration and Department Chairs was very stressful, and disturbed how well the teams could work on the oucomes of the department.
Productive workplace with nice students and library
Community Assistant Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I have passion for my residents and I enjoy working with my residents. I socializing with my residents when they have problems and need some one or somebody to talked to.
Pros
pay for breakfast and lunch with they spartan card
Cons
I have health care
Great job for training and job experience
Spartan Tech (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 8, 2018
Great experience with the staff of Norfolk state. Great group of people who makes you enjoy your job while giving you great experience and indebt training. If you want a job that you would like to go to everyday this is the job for you.
Pros
Great training and excelent working environment
Cons
short hours
Productive work place with multiple opportunities
VOLUNTEER LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 4, 2018
NSU has a self-motivated work atmosphere with great guidance and structure. Though I wasn't paid, I gained an amazing amount of mentorship and respect from the research instructors.
Pros
skill builder, state-of-the-art lab
Cons
no pay, schedule conflicts
Productive and fun.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 2, 2018
My work day was busy teaching, advising, working with faculty, staff, and students. It was and still is my passion and love for my profession. The workplace culture was like family.
Pros
Great work environment. Food being provided during some of our university, school, and department meeting.
Cons
University policy for faculty that caused my dismissal from the university.
Norfolk State University - Barnes and Noble College
Textbook Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 24, 2018
My position was in charge of ordering the Textbooks for the college and establishing healthy relationships with the Publishers.

I enjoyed speaking with the students, faculty, and staff.
Ra
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day is getting up going to class, working a 4 hour shift at the desk, 1-2 hour of office hours, solving a resident problem, homework with residents or by myself, meetings, check up on certain residents. What I learned is that about others is that people take things different way and I had to remember each way one of them took certain things. What I learned about myself was that I could be more patient and being even more open minded. The most enjoyable part about my job was the love I got from my residents. Hardest part of my job was keeping everyone happy or finding a solution that everyone can agree too.
Slow Paced
Assitant Director Residential Housing (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 19, 2017
It doesn't pay what the job in tells and you work more on personnel issues than anything else.........................................................
One of the best companies I have ever worked
Signal Processing Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 14, 2017
One of the best companies I have ever worked. Great people to work with. I also love the technology that we implemented. Very successful company and still is.
Encouraging and Challenging
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2017
The internship experience I gained in the Norfolk State University Counseling Center was second to none. I gained valuable experience and am looking forward to officially entering the Social Work Profession.
Productive and Pleasurable
Assistant Professor of English (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 10, 2017
I taught English courses to Freshman to Seniors in American and African American literature, in addition to research and diversity classes. The students were always eager to learn. The workplace was professional and cordial for academics. The most enjoyable part of the job was the students and their progress.