Norms Restaurant Employee Reviews

Busy work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 24, 2019
Starting off at norms it was a great environment with coworkers who taught me a lot about my position. It was always a busy and productive day. The management could be better.
Pros
Employees are hardworking
Cons
Short breaks or no breaks occasionally
Bad management always switching everybody's hours and shifts the way people were treated was unfair.
Server (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAOctober 24, 2019
Some of the workers hours were getting cut or you would get taken off the list automatically off the working chart to not go into work while other were dramatically getting more work which were most likey their favorites.
Ok
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAOctober 21, 2019
Company growing, established for 70 years with different ownership, chances of advancing are restricted by longevity on the company. New units with no profits and turnovers very high
Get Ready to Work!
Server (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 16, 2019
I always felt busy here. The food is inexpensive and consistent, so we never had problems with having guests. It's a diner, but you still wear long sleeve button up white shirt.
If you work hard, you'll do great here.
Multicultured and Dirty
Chef (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAOctober 6, 2019
To many foreign workers hard to understand orders being given out and certain chefs don't handle the food properly. Some chefs would drop food on the floor pick up real fast and put in back on the stove. I was fired and they didn't expect my calls
Pros
Free food and drinks all day
Cons
Healthcare and co-workers
The hardest part of the job is pleasing people’s needs. And a typical day at work about teamwork.
Hostess Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 20, 2019
If you like a lot of older people and helping out very needy people. This is a job for you. I love having a job like this because I do love helping older people and love putting a smile in peoples faces.
Bad management and inconsistent hours
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  South El Monte, CASeptember 19, 2019
New management has messed up everyone's previous work schedules and continue to do so by shifting everyone around different shifts. When an emergency occurred I had to call off work (I called 2 hours before my work shift), and the general manager said it was not a valid excuse and persisted on me coming into work. Another instance while working here, there was a rush during dinner shift, and our current assistant manager was supposed to be on the floor assisting us, instead, they were in their office and waited until the rush ended and we handled all of the problems on our own until the rush was over. This has happened multiple times within the same week. I recommend corporate makes a change and really looks into who is qualified to be in management and realizes that their staff is also human.
Pros
60% discount for employee meals
Cons
Poor management and inconsistent hours
Not the worst place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CASeptember 10, 2019
Norms was a very good chill job but they had no limits when it came to personal life. They had several managers that treated their workers horribly and if someone needed a personal day to attend a funeral or something personal they would question you too much and they would ask for picture prove.
Loved it
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 2, 2019
I loved Norms my job here was really wonderful I stopped working there due to personal issues I was having at the time. Everything at the company was fair I loved working the and I would definitely work for the company again.
Fast paced environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 6, 2019
Fast paced job, good money, hardest part about the job was having to make all soups, specialty salads, milkshakes, deserts, and specialty pancakes/ waffles. A lot of the customers don't understand we do that all on our own and it reflects in their tips because it may take a bit longer to bring out some of these items to them. Management was great! The GM was amazing!
Highly stressful work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Claremont, CAJune 25, 2019
I’ve worked here for almost 3 years and notice that business had gone downhill. I used to enjoy working here. But it’s been about a year the menu has changed at least 3x also bringing in unnecessary over priced desserts, as well as taking away items most customers love. Customers don’t tip like they used to and expect the most from you... in a “diner”. I blame that on corporate and the menu changes. It seems now that everything is a competition. You’ll always have to be on your toes because management loves to check the cameras and nitpick at people. It feels robotic with the service steps. You will get slammed with many tables at once, they will be angry because they will have to wait, just hope they are not secret shoppers or you will be hearing from management. There’s also a lot of micromanaging that goes on with servers that have absolutely no type of authority but to be in charge for their shift when management is at home sleeping.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Many changes, customers
Fast pace at getting all your customers food orders to them in a timely matter
Server (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 23, 2019
Great place to work, have your own station and make your money. Regular customers and great co-workers! Were good to work with, great work environment.
Pros
Employe menu
Cons
2 10 min breaks 30 min lunch
Great job
Shift leader/cashier/host/sever (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 20, 2019
Great job lots of great people. Your get to learn a lot of different things. Your on your feet almost the whole shift but time goes by super fast. There is room to grow.
They need to work on worker appreciation
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAMay 30, 2019
I worked as a buser , dish washer and cook . They really work you hard at times. It feels like management is short so Alot of issues go unaddressed, manly worker appreciation and adviciary
Pros
If you work hard they will keep you
Cons
It's a grind every day
Okay place to start at just for the experience
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 24, 2019
I would be stationed with big party’s,but they would slam with many tables,you barely get to their drinks and they already had sent you two or 3 tables with big party’s
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Poor management
Fast pace environment. Friendly staff
Hostess (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 20, 2019
Great place to eat. Staff is very nice and friendly. Food comes out efficiently and is delicious. Prices are perfect! Environment of the restaurant is very comfortable and convenient.
It a great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 5, 2019
Wonderful job for those I’m the local area. Same crew for the most part still work there. So there isn’t much room for advancement unless you go to the other stores. Open 24 hours so it is great for any time of work habits
productive place
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CAApril 3, 2019
the restaurant business is constantly busy so there is always something to do but it is a great place to work and to have as a first job. I feel like it helped me grow
good coworkers
perp cook (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAMarch 20, 2019
love the team staff .. big parking lot always open 24 hr. good food to choose from and all ways clean affordable meals for the hole family. if you need a place to eat norms is the place to be ….
Pros
free food
Welcoming environment with customers and co-workers
Cashier/ Host (Current Employee) –  Bellflower, CAMarch 11, 2019
I had a quite memorable experience with the restaurant industry. I learned communication skills by hosting, serving skills by being a server, and working at the cash register allowed me to improve my math skills.