North American Lighting Employee Reviews

Always ask if in question! Do not be afraid to report unruly management. Otherwise, admirable benefits and pay.
New Launch Team/Production (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 20, 2018
The setup for money making is easily worked and well understood, without heavy stress. Usually there is overtime that is mandatory and often volunteer for extra as well, even holiday pay (that is usually volunteer to work) double for day of work if you are working and standard holiday pay. Not all management is bad, however, team leads, supervisors, and maintenance have been known for treating employees poorly for unjustified reasons (I would recommend reporting any unruly persons to proper management and not just the ones that you can see, dig to find out who the plant managers are to help bring peace to the workplace, and to help insure your own job, especially if immediate management cannot resolve). My paychecks never had a minute missing and I received raises accordingly, without having to remind anyone.
Pros
Benefits, temperature controlled, consistant work, pay scale.
Cons
Mandatory overtime. Often new management with no clue and hot heads.
Depends on department
Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALOctober 23, 2018
Typical factory work. Job was not to bad and many of the coworkers where great. Some where pets and totally useless. Supervisors of departments are arrogant and have no proper care for their members. Team leaders do the work and were really great. It is a buddy system for sure. Pay is ok and benefits were good but not worth the aggravation to get it. A couple of people in H.R. try but it is run by a gentlemen who has no real world understanding.. No wonder they cannot keep people.
Pros
Benefits, overtime as much as you want.
Cons
H.R., Supervisors, and general idiots.
Good work place
Lead Tooling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALOctober 22, 2018
NAL is a decent place to work. Hours are good. They strive to improve. They care about the employee and their future. They pay a competitive wage for the area with good benefits. They do have a large number of employees and it does not always have the down home feel. however they are Japanese owned and the culture is different.
Pros
Good salaries, Good management good safe work environment
Cons
nothing major
NAL was a great place to work. Clean great benefits great management great all around
Line operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILNovember 14, 2018
Overall a great company..... fair wages , you have the opportunity to move up in company. They hire family members they encourage you to advance in company. I have never worked for a better company. My son and two daughters work there.
Pros
Great benefits earn as many days off as you could, never refused a day off if I had it to use. Clean awesome break rooms
Cons
Lots of hours to work if you’re lazy not a good place to work
Productive and manageable work place
Material Handler/Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 16, 2018
A typical day at NAL was usually medium paced with great management. I learned how to operate a press, drive a tugger, and material handle. It also taught me how to handle certain situations in a respectable manner.I will say the hardest part of it all was taking care of 8 different presses until i got the hang of it. All in all the best part was all the walking i got to do and the friendliness of the environment.
Pros
insurance, money, 401k, overtime
Cons
short breaks, hot smocks
competitive and very fast paced
Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALNovember 17, 2018
NAL was a great company to work for. Long hours and working second shift was not easy but it was manageable. The plus was It had great pay and great benefits.
Pros
friendly coworkers, many hours
Cons
management was unorganized and could be better
Busy but great benefits
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Paris, ILDecember 15, 2018
Depending where you're placed and in what position, the hours can be a bit much. But the benefits and pay are outstanding. They do a lot of extra things for their employees.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Very fast paced job. Must make production rate
Production Lead & Line Operator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 18, 2018
Good place to work but good luck if you're sick. Great insurance, has dental and vision
401k
30 minute lunches
10 minute break every 2 hours
Work on holidays
Pros
Good pay
Cons
The point system is kinda harsh
Operator (Current Employee) –  Salem, ILDecember 5, 2018
Fast paced and at times, a lot of over time. I don't prefer all the over time. The benefits are nice and if you don't mind short notice over time or 6 days a week, the job is ideal for you.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
To much over time.
stressfull workplace with good pay and benefit
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILApril 11, 2018
AT Nal you typically get to work and start getting everything ready to run to run on line, Everybody has a set spot on the assembly line and you have to do the same thing for 8 to 12 hours a day 5 day a week so the work is repetitive. The biggest issues with the job our that there there is no set time to leave you come in at 4 and can leave anywhere from 12 to 4, also you never no if you have to work saturday until the day before, The mangement there is inconsistent there some good and some bad it just depends what department you are in. The Job does pay really well for the work that you do, and the insurance and other benefits are great, but the job can get very stressful and frustrated at time even though i wouldn't consider it hard work.
Pros
Pay, Beneftis
Cons
No set hours, Inconsistent management
good pay thats it
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALSeptember 23, 2018
Benefits and pay are good but too much overtime. The Management needs to improve their communication skills. They need to be more concern for us to have a outside life.
Excellent workplace with good pay per location
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILSeptember 7, 2018
Fast paced job with competitive salary plus excellent benefits. You must be willing to be a hard worker and have flexibility when it comes to your available work hours.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Hours
Lots of overtime
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILAugust 21, 2018
If you are not willing to work overtime this isn’t the job for you. Many weeks I worked more than 50 hours. But overall the pay was great and so was all the benefits.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
So much overtime
Plant life
ASSEMBLY OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALSeptember 4, 2018
Great environment great people safe and clean work space . Great benefits and weekly pay I would refer anyone here. Also the hours are reasonable and over time
Very stressful. Only cares about production not their employees.
Assembly Operator (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALMay 13, 2018
Hours vary. Some days you may work 8 hours or less and then other days you may work 12 hours. Very inconsistent. Advancement is hard because a lot of it is done by favoritism not by qualifications.
Pros
Many vending machine options, good 401k and insurance benefits
Cons
Short lunch, short break, 7 point system takes a year for a point to roll off
NAL has a growing buisness
Quality Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILNovember 16, 2018
The Japanese culture was different from what I have ever worked for. Some of the philosophies and practices for automotive component manufacturing was quite different than what I experienced working for an American company for over 20 years. There was a lot of wasted and scrap, and management was not interested in resolving this situation. Significant dollars are being thrown away at the Paris, IL. operation. The company allowed bullying from management. I was harassed at the company by a manager. I made a complaint, then I had a target on my back. Nothing occurred of the complaint which was a clear and present threat form a manager.
Pros
Growth and new technology in the products
Cons
Management bullying
Great job with great pay
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed my time at NAL, great environment with a decent staff. Pay was very good for the area . I worked in the warehouse sending parts out to the line to be ran for production. Lots of overtime with plenty of benefits.
Fast paced
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILJune 4, 2018
A good place to work with good benefits. Long work hours if you have family. Great benefits for family.would recommend working at North American Lighting.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
It's one of the best factories I've worked in and I've worked in quite a few.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Jobs are fairly easy, you do have to make good parts like you do in all factories. Your treated fair as long as you do your job. The only main gripes for me are the overtime, you'll work at least one 12 hour day a week, and every other Saturday, so working there you have to balance life and work because you'll be there alot. And sometimes it can be a bit fast paced so they can get the parts out to shipment. They do pay real well, health insurance is good, after you get your year in you'll start to receive some vacation time and earned time. Compared to a lot of factories I've been to this is the top one I've ever worked for I would recommend this place, and would definitely return to work here.
Pros
Pay, benefits, easy jobs
Cons
Lots of overtime, at times can be a little fast paced
North American Lighting, Inc.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Salem, ILJanuary 14, 2018
I have been with NAL for 18 years, I have held many positions throughout the Salem plant and worked at all the manufacturing plants (except for Mexico) at some point. There are good and bad people at all locations. The newer plants seem to struggle with management issues more than the older ones.
NAL has grown quickly the last several years, there are growing pains: lots of OT in some areas, manning demands taking priority over proper training and communication breakdown. It will pass and things will fall into a good rhythm.
I have worked in many factories and none come close to being as good a company, as far as pay and company treatment of employees, as NAL. I know people that love it and others that hate it. It is a factory, not everyone is cut out for that environment.
Pros
Benefits, pay and opportunities.
Cons
Can demand a lot of your time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North American Lighting. Our community is ready to answer.