North Carolina Public Schools Employee Reviews

Love the job
Social Studies teacher and Latin teacher (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 15, 2019
I love teaching high school students. It is an arduous, but fulfilling career. I enjoy teaching, talking, thinking, and assisting students in understanding the complexities of history, art, and language to eager and disinterested learners.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Paperwork
Professionally Rewarding / Highly Stressful & Unnecessarily Problematic
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Various Systems in NCFebruary 23, 2019
On the plus side, this is an opportunity to make a positive and in many cases lasting impact on the lives of students and a significant contribution to society as a whole. Anyone of average or above average intelligence can learn to be good at it but the sincere desire to do good needs to be there. If it not then I would suggest looking elsewhere for employment. If this is important then this may be a good choice for employment. The benefits tend to be good, but the money is not. My first year's salary (1976-77) was $8,000. My last year's salary (2007-2008) was $58,000. It took the overwhelming majority of the years that I worked to break the $50,000 mark. Dependable employment is generally also a plus but it is wise to make a practice of expecting the unexpected to happen.

On the negative side, the public schools tend to be a place that individuals in administrative positions think exists for the sole purpose of having their egos stroked, promoting their careers, and padding their paychecks. For many of them, it obvious in their decision making processes that effect many students and teachers. Personal agendas, favoritism, and ego issues tend to circumvent best practices that would be of benefit to those that they work with. For many of them, the exercise of poor judgement for the reasons just stated is a common practice and rationalized frequently in a totally irrational manner. When I think of administrative management techniques that I have witnessed and the manner in which many buy in to what they see taking place, I am reminded of the story of "The Emperor's
  more... New Clothes." It is amazing how ridiculous it can get to be sometimes. On the other hand, there are a number of good people in administrative positions who make a priority of doing the right things for the right reasons. They represent the best and most honorable aspects of the profession and the better teaching situations.
Unfortunately, these individuals have become an increasingly diminishing minority.

I am a retired teacher with the NC Public Schools and the son of retired teachers. I watched what it did to my parents emotionally and financially and I have made if a point to be careful not to allow the same things to happen to me. I would suggest to anyone that they keep their eyes and ears open and pay attention to what is going on around them.
Pros
Professionally Rewarding
Cons
Highly Stressful & Unnecessarily Problematic
Lack of support from admin and unethical practices
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 23, 2019
I was a speech language pathologist in Winston Salem/Forsyth County schools. The lack of support from administration from principal on up is astounding. My case load was supposed to be 50 students (state law), but my caseload was above that from day one. Absolutely no support or ideas forthcoming from administration regarding lessening my caseload or hiring another SLP. The paperwork required on a daily basis is ASTOUNDING. I spent as much time doing paperwork as I did serving students. Absolutely no time to plan for therapy sessions (or lunch), mandatory attendance at meetings that had nothing to do with my job, lack of any discernible disciplinary plan for students who disrupted the education of other students, lack of a livable wage were just some of the reasons I left the district. I believe that billing every student for Medicaid, even if they don't qualify for Medicaid, is unethical. Using eligible students' Medicaid payments for anything that does not directly benefit said student is, in my opinion, unethical.
I was surprised by the extremely high turnover rate of teachers. It seems they burnout or leave for greener pastures very readily. No teacher seemed happy in their position and many talked of leaving. I was not surprised.
Pros
I didn't really find too many pros working for WS/FC
Cons
low wages, no support, high caseload numbers, extreme paperwork demands, poor work/life balance
Students take a backseat to numbers and administration agendas
CTE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilkes County, NCDecember 28, 2018
Worked in high school for nineteen years before being told my curriculum was changing, I would have to go back to school to teach what I had been teaching for the past 19 yrs, new administration throwing me under the bus concerning discipline and parents and wanting to rewrite and micro manage my class. I miss the students daily but will probably never work in this county again. I realized that I was a very good teacher but not a great employee according to their standards of sacrificing all the personal time and freedom they wanted.
Pros
Students
Cons
Administration
Great colleagues, poor management.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rowan Salisbury School DistrictSeptember 13, 2018
I worked in an elementary school in which the administration was terrible. There is NO work/home balance. I worked 10 hour days all the time and spent weekends creating lesson plans that were pages and pages long. A typical day consisted to one, 40 minute period for planning (haha) and no breaks. There was also one day each week where we didn't even get the planning period since the kids didn't have enhancements once per week. We ate lunch with our students so the management didn't have to hire additional lunch room aides. We were not given text books and told that we had to create lesson plans using only the NC teaching standards. This made it very difficult to be on the same "page" as the other teachers on the grade level, and we were not allowed to share lesson plans. The kids were awesome, but the administration did not care one iota for their teachers. I wouldn't recommend teaching in North Carolina.
Pros
Good rapport with all colleagues
Cons
Terrible management by administration.
Great
Physical Educator (Former Employee) –  Brunswick County, NCApril 16, 2018
Great. Low pay, but rewarding. Long hours but mostly because of the voluntary work after school that I put in. Like my film club and running club and the SEARCH 5K COLOR RUN
great
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 16, 2017
a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job. Great place to work.
No follow through from Leaders
Teacher (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 12, 2017
10 hour days
No management assistance
no follow through with improvement
plans
best part is the students
long days and nights grading papers
buying own supplies gets costly
Parents can be challenging but mostly pleasant
Pros
Students
Low pay for what you do
Teacher/Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCAugust 30, 2017
Loved teaching and was good at it. Won awards. But, if you have a family be prepared to pinch pennies. For the time it takes to be a good teacher and the hours of preparation/stress...very difficult to find work life balance b/c of low pay unless you have other sources of income.
Pros
vacations
Cons
everything else
Love it
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  NcMay 15, 2017
I am a public high school teacher and have been teaching over 20 years. I love teaching. Point me where to go and I'll do it.
The only difference to me is the principal you work under and your budget for materials. That totally varies from year to year, from school system to system.
But if you love teaching, it's great! Not bad pay for 10 months, and you have the same vacations as your kids do, if you have kids.
Very organized
Spanish Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 25, 2017
North Carolina Public School system was my first year of experience. They were very supportive with the employees. They provide good resources for all personnel,making it a good place to work.
Reliable work with benefits if you work full time
Cafeteria Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklinton, NCMarch 18, 2017
Traditional Cafeteria Work , Food production. As a substitute , Any school that you select at the interview will call you to work. Usually a day or two in advance and you can accept or not. Also they will ask you to drive the Bus in order to be full time
Pros
flexibility, lunch break, pay
Cons
cant be full time unless you drive the buses
misleading hiring practices
caferia associate (Former Employee) –  Onslow County, NCFebruary 21, 2017
The cafeteria hires under the misguided insinuation that employees can and will receive full time status. Once hired you find out "there is no full time unless you are a manager". If you are looking fir a 3 or 4 hour a day job. This is it. Upper management plays favorites.
Pros
.short work days and no weekends or nights.
Cons
friends and pets recieve management status over employees with more education and training.
Effective employment opportunity
Adolescent Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 22, 2016
There are opportunities for professional development. School administrators may or may not be knowledgeable of educational best practices and of district policies and procedures.
Pros
various locations
Cons
transitioning administration
Non-stop daily schedule
General Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Granville County, NCNovember 1, 2016
Working for NC Public School system has been a learning experience. Although I enjoy being an educator, it is time for me to transition back to what I enjoy best being the Business World.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Poor working environmnent and support
Bad management
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Craven County, NCOctober 17, 2016
We're required to work excessive hours. Associate superintendents and other administrators had personal agendas at the expense of employees. This is not an employee friendly workplace. Teachers and employees are treated as expendable.
Pros
Holidays off.
bad work environment
teacher (Current Employee) –  Efland, NCOctober 31, 2015
one of the worst schools in orange county school system. no leadership from principal and central office administrators treat staff with disrespect. I will be leaving soon too.
Working with Students one on One
Inclusion Facilitator/EC One on One Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 5, 2015
Supports Student's Individual needs
Assists school staff
Student/Parent Liaison
Monitor behavioral students
In-School Suspension Support Staff
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Hard to reach all the students
I am a Retired Elementary Art Teacher in N. C.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wayne County Public SchoolsOctober 4, 2015
I worked for 32 + years in the NC Public School System as an Elementary Art teacher. I am now retired and enjoy a retirement check every month.

Yes, the work is hard. teachers must be dedicated and cooperative with a lot of impossible circumstances,yet do their best and rise over problems. Yes, we are often asked , "To do more with less".

I am proud of my 32 years of being able to teach Art to 32,000 students and they stop me on the street any time I go out to say hello and tell me how much they loved my classes.

I was surrounded my many wonderful other teachers in the many years I worked and loved my students, fellow workers and Principals.

I was an Art Major in college and always loved Art. The children loved Art, too and I was privileged to have employment to share my favorite and best talents with them.

No, I am not rich, but I had steady and dependable, respected employment for my entire working career. I am now enjoying retirement, and would consider a part time position to tutor or be useful in the current school in Goldsboro, NC.

Teachers do not get paid for the amount of work they actually do, which is continuous, but I always had a steady income, nice housing and a good car and plenty of the necessities of life.

I worked with educated people, had a safe environment to work in, had the love of thousands of children and the friendship of countless teachers and parents. I worked in a respected profession and will always be proud of working within the school system in NC and am grateful and lucky to have the opportunities I enjoyed.

In
  more... Retirement, I have a steady income, BCBS of NC Health Coverage, Dental, Eye, Life Insurance, and the love and respect of many people. I am very proud of the work I did and the progress many of the grown children I run across often in my community. I also had a fine career in Art.  less
Personally and Professionally Enriching
Educator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC AreaJanuary 2, 2014
I have been afforded the opportunity on a daily basis to work collaboratively with site and district level colleagues to transform the lives of America's youth. My daily goal continues to focus on impacting the lives of youth, community stakeholders and co-workers in a positive manner to help produce a greater tomorrow for our country.