North Carolina State University Employee Reviews

Finance & Grant Accountant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 17, 2018
Good place to work. Holiday time off. Education benefits are great. Work environment is nice with combination of faculty, staff, and students. Location is great.
Academia needs a reboot
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCOctober 16, 2018
A typical academic environment: managers and higher ups use their titles to dictate the pace and culture to their liking. Very top-down management styles. Generational culture issues plague the campus with executive leaders milking high pay (50+) and churning through younger talent to get things done. Leaders "Think" while their "teams" "Do." Office culture is stuffy and inflexible. High turnover across campus at every level. Clearly a symptom of poor leadership.
Pros
Lots of vacation, State job
Cons
Limited growth opportunities, Toxic work culture
Was very good
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 6, 2018
I worked here as student worker and I enjoyed everyday of it. The work was great and helped me understand the concepts that I have learned in a better way.
Work Environment has changed since new supervisors and leads
Food service technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27606October 6, 2018
A typical day at the Chik-Fil-A in the atrium is very busy because of the increase in students and items that. The staff is working hard and getting the hang of all of the duties that need to be done. I have been there for nearly four years and I am given the responsibilities of the leads quite often. But this year the supervisors and leads are taking there frustrations out on me and other staff members especially when we haven't done anything wrong. We share the space with other restaurants in a cafeteria style and the staff in those areas talk behind peoples back and have something rude to say about Chik- Fil-A staff. At first they will be friendly and talk like you are friends but then you walk through to put dishes away and they are talking about you. It has gotten hard to ignore the negativity in the building.
Pros
7.00 food limit, free drinks
Cons
the system has changed no more 15 min breaks and you have to work over six hours to get, which is inconvient for the students who work there and can only work a few hrs at a time
Very stressful work environment
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 27, 2018
Worked for department with grant money. Reported to 2 separate individuals who disagreed on responsibilities. No support for new employees other than a few classes offered to all administrative employees, no individual training in necessary areas to understand job requirements.
Equal Opportunities
Fiscal Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 26, 2018
I think there should be more diversity in NCSU's administration. Also, supervisors should be trained on all aspects of management. They need to understand the rights of state employees.
Great experience for undergraduate students
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 25, 2018
As an undergraduate, I have had the opportunity to work with a faculty member on an ongoing research project where I was given independence in making the experiment my own, which has instilled responsibility and confidence in my abilities after graduation.
Excellent establishment!!!!!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 20, 2018
Great environment and great atmosphere for future leaders of the world and leaders of industry, people, guidance, and health advisories.

Staff and employees were just what was expected and what can make a difference once you set your goals.
Pros
Great establishment!
Cons
Great environment!!!!!!
It was a good experience overall
Urbanization Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2018
I give it a b because im not sure why this is requiring me to write a review in the first place, especially for a company not related for the job which I am applying.
Good Research School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 4, 2018
"The Think and Do mentality that I’ve been gifted here at NC State is something that will stick with me wherever my path leads."

NCSU is a good place for graduate to focus on their research.
Grad student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 26, 2018
Grad student life is mid-level in terms of stress, expectations, and competitiveness. Professor was very hands on yet kind and open to novel ideas and discussion.
Pros
Low stress
Cons
Mid tier program
An exciting place to work and learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 21, 2018
It is such an outstanding environment to work. There is a good relationship between workers and facilities are very efficient and effective so as facilitate work.
Very productive work environment
Ticket Taker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 15, 2018
I loved working for NC State , it was an amazing job opportunity to be able to work the football games and make sure people had a wonderful time and were sat in their correct seats.
Fun place to live
Research and Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 14, 2018
Nice Environment
Great University with lots of things to do, close to fun part. and I like how cool the campus is. good transportation around campus if someone need to move around.
Great benefits, great people
non-tenured educator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2018
I have worked in a field office and on campus, both have their plusses and minuses. The management in the field is not as strong as on campus, but being on campus means more traffic and parking challenges. Choose your battles.

Excellent benefits offering two retirement options (defined contribution or defined benefit), and 401K, 457. Excellent health insurance options with a range of coverage for vision and dental. Life insurance as a payroll deduction for employee and dependents, tuition waivers for the employee.
benefits
Cons
management
Terrific and Understanding Supervisor
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2018
Hired as a temporary employee, yet was very welcomed by the department in general. My direct supervisor gave a perfect balance of guidance, availability, and autonomy to allow me to complete the tasks given to me. Learned a great deal of specifics relating to my job and to the other positions my tasks support. Given extra materials for my edification allowing me to have a broader view of the processes I was supporting which allowed me to carry out the tasks to a greater efficiency.
Very productive, busy, always challenging
Catering Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2018
My job lent itself to getting to know representatives of practically every department on campus. It was great! Also got to know local vendors, developed a great report with University staff.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free bus so no parking fees, relaxed office environment
Cons
Very stressful and sometimes abrasive immediate supervisor
North Carolina State University
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2018
North Carolina State University is an incredible place to work. There is a perfect balance between work and life. Additionally, the employees at NC State are friendly and hard-working.
Exciting working with graduate students
Consulting Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2018
I worked here as a volunteer so no input on compensation. Mentoring and guiding graduate students was very refreshing. I learnt as much from them as they from me
Fast services to students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 28, 2018
we open up at 8am Monday-Sun we had to make sure we had all our sandwich meet bread and other food products that sell every day ready the management team was pretty far most of the time the staff was friendly.