North Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

Not good, high turn-over
Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 18, 2018
Zero innovation ... and management that was promoted to that position based on who you know, not what you know. Management was clueless about knowing how to do the jobs of the people they were managing.
interesting and challenging profession
Director of Training (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 14, 2018
work for a department that encourages staff development and provides opportunities for advancement and growth. Interesting challenging jobs unlike any other field.
Pros
salary and job security
Cons
not a job for everyone it can be stressful
Great Team Work
Health Facilities Surveyor/RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 29, 2017
Everyone is usually very hard working and supportive. We work as a team and respect each other. Teams work well together and try to communicate effectively. If needed, team members are willing to trade assignments. Everyone pitches in to review correction plans and complete revisits..
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexible in office work schedule
enjoyed people
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working with elderly and find they have a lot to offer and are very knowledgeable. Helping people every day is extremely rewarding for me.
Ndsp
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 11, 2017
It was a job that gave you excellent benefits and pay for the type of job you did. The job was stressful at times but that was due to the residents that lived there.
Pros
State benefits Pay was above average
Was a really fun internship
Parole and Probation, Intern (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 16, 2017
I was an intern at parole and probation for almost a year and loved it. I had a very enjoyable time and toward the end they let me do a lot of things on my own. If you're looking for jobs in law enforcement don't count out parole and probation, it's very rewarding.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
I didn't get paid, but it was an internship.
Wonderful staff and management, awesome team environment
Operations, Planning & Logistics Section Chief (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 14, 2017
I have really enjoyed being with the ND Dept. of Emergency Services. My service with them has been as a member of the incident management team, which is on call. I would love to gain full time employment with ND DES however with state budget cutbacks and no open positions, it does not look likely that I will have that opportunity in the foreseeable future. Again, WONDERFUL staff, management and team!
Pros
Awesome personnel and environment
Cons
Lack of openings and state budget cutbacks
Disciplined and personal management of inmates
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 11, 2017
Daily briefing followed by rounding on inmates. Escorting inmates to medical appointments and work leave. Responsible for assisting inmates with activities of daily living.
A great learning experience.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 19, 2016
A typical day means showing up to work at 8:00 A.M. They are very flexible in terms of lunch hours and leaving time. I was able to learn about topics ranging from chemistry to microbiology.
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 15, 2016
The department of transportation is a great place to work, people are really nice and will do as much as they can to help you out.
Fun learning experience
Surface Water Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 24, 2016
I was mostly out of the office all summer long so I did not get to learn much in the office but it was an amazing experience to travel all over the state. Nothing like the great outdoors.
Overall a good place to work.
Water Resources Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 17, 2016
My job required me to travel a lot. I enjoyed the travel. I went to work at 8:00 and finished at 5:00 everyday. I felt that the organization was poorly managed. There were a lot of unhappy employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry landowners. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with co-workers.
Pros
Good benefits and good training programs.
Cons
management support was lacking
Great place to work, great benefits, great people.
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 14, 2016
The DoH is a great place to work. The people are friendly, the benefits are excellent, and the work is always for the benefit of the people of North Dakota. Being in the Environmental Health Section, I get to face new and interesting work every day.
Productive learning experience
Direct Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 10, 2016
Good and productive place to work. Great people to work with as well as a good learning experience into the correctional practices of the community. Chances to move up if interest is in criminal justice.
Fun place to work
Qualified Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 11, 2016
Assisted the elderly and disabled with their daily living skills.
Personal cares
doctor appointments
meals
Shopping
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
No benefits
Not too bad
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NDDecember 31, 2015
It's a good job if you're looking to get into corrections. The facilities are nice. Administration has a nice balance. You get to learn a lot about handling different situations!
Rewarding
Deputy Warden of Transitional Facilities (Former Employee) –  Bismark NDAugust 26, 2015
Very rewarding place to work with all kinds of opportunities to promote. Very fulfilling and enjoyable staff. Overall a very safe place to work and learned many new skills that can be applied to all aspects of life.
Dept of Human Services Review
Qualified Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 9, 2015
I met the most amazing lady while working for the state of ND. I was a home health aide and some of my fondest memories were made here.
Great place to work; job security
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 8, 2015
Great employees, lots of training available with good benefits and flexible work hours. Good "team" environment and camaraderie among employees.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Advancement is limited
Overview
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMay 26, 2015
It was a job which I had a lot of control. A lot of paperwork. However, a lot of town meetings with a lot of difficult angry people who cared about their township. I dealt with people in power regarding their county. I wrote reports to the the government asking for money to protect their farmland. I felt as many deserved what was being asked for. The greatest thing regarding this was I was young and not respected when I got there. When I left I was being asked to be at "coffee hour" with the locals and they like me. It taught me that listening and fitting in with the people who I was working with went a long way.
Pros
I can fit in and get respected by many types of people. While getting the goal accomplished.
Cons
There are many difficult people in this world.