North Hawaii Community Hospital Employee Reviews

Profit is driving the leadership instead of adequate patient care
CCU RN Manager & Bed Control Leader (Former Employee) –  Kamuela, HIOctober 29, 2018
Management should focus less of the bottom line and more on the delivery of quality and safe patient care. Drastic reduction in mid level management doesn't always equate to good patient care.
Pros
Some of the people
Ever changing leadership
PATIENT ACCESS & PBX MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kamuela, HIAugust 15, 2018
Frequent changes in administration at NHCH have created a very inconsistent work environment. Recent staff reductions have created more work for employees therefore causing burn out. Not a very good place to work if your looking for a job that has a good work/life balance.
north hawaii critical care unit
icu rn (Former Employee) –  Waimea, HIJuly 26, 2018
I loved working at this little hospital, loved my co-workers as well, we became a family. However after so many years of commuting I had enough and was offered a lovely job in a doctors office .....and now I am bored and want to once again work in acute care. A typical day would be to start off with change of shift report, collect telemetry data , depending on the acuity of the pts, vented, septic, stable, we would then do rounds with the physician and begin our 12 hour work day. Often times we would recover pts following surgeryl, we also were the code and rapid response nurses as well. It could get very busy quickly in this 4 bed unit so we worked together as a team which made it much easier.
Pros
lovely facility
Cons
long commute
Great environment and team work.
MANAGER - SERVICE EXCELLENCE (Former Employee) –  Kamuela, HIJuly 17, 2018
Support of upper management. Opportunities to take online classes. Promotion potential. Can transfer to and from other departments within the company. Excellent benefits!
Pros
Variety in duties
Cons
Occasional overtime
no communication
Interim Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamuela, HIJanuary 24, 2018
Under staffed and overworked.
No communication from upper management which causes lots of confusion and frustration.

no balance with home and work.
Staff feels overwhelmed and frustrated and no one listens to them to help resolve the situation
I enjoyed what I did
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Kamuela, HIOctober 20, 2017
friendly environment with alot of good employees who care about their patients. Gained alot of knowledge and experience. They offer a wide range of benefits along with a family oriented environment.
Pros
great beneefits
Great place if you are in the right department
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kamuela, HIAugust 11, 2017
Some managers are great others are not. The staff, however, is amazing. The medical team is dedicated and very professional. Some of the best people I have ever worked with
Enjoy my job because I get to work with great people and help others
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Kamuela, HINovember 3, 2016
Enjoy working as a registrar, great place to work & help people. I work with great people and the vibe is good. I enjoy working and helping others. North Hawaii is a great community hospital.
Productive and interesting workplace environment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  kamuela, HawaiiOctober 2, 2013
A typical day at work started at 7 am and ended at 730 pm.
I learned medical terminology and able to transcribe and order routine and emergent tests for patients. My co workers were those that were well educated and well trained in the medical profession and it was interesting to learn work aside them. The hardest part of the job was probably multi-tasking in such a fast paced, high stress environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was helping out assisting with the visitors and people of the Big Island community.