NORTH JERSEY DEVELOPMENTAL CENTER Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
People who care
Employee (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJApril 19, 2018
A special place for learning how to work with the Developmentally Disabled and enhancing the residents quality of life and ability to reach their full potential.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Low compensation
It was a great place to work
Cottage Training Technician (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJFebruary 2, 2018
This place was a great place to work. Unfortunately it was closed down by the governor Christ Christie. This place was well staffed all the time. Go on trips with the residents, it was wonderful to work there. You didn’t have supervisor breathing down your throat. As long as you do your job, you are good.
North Jersey reflect professionalism among consumers and workers.
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJanuary 5, 2018
North Jersey was a Developmental Center that took pride in the way consumers were cared for. It was a melting pot for people of all walks of life both consumers and workers alike.

I learned to value diversity and respect the differences of each individuals. It was hard when we lost a consumer but we had the ability to mourned together. One of the highlight was when consumers completed in various activities and overcome challenges.
Pros
To be apart of the healing process for consumers
Cons
The grief after a consumer passed
Can be both relaxing and fast pace
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJanuary 2, 2018
It was a great job, my position was temporary as a Human Service Assistant I had the opportunity to work with mentally challenged adults where I assisted them with their daily activities personal and professional, and the experience was interesting. I said relaxing because some of the residents there were very easy to deal with but fast pace for some more active and challenging so you must be on your game, however, they train you well for 3 weeks before you start, the salary was good at the time. A few months after my contract terminated I was called back but at the time I was already working full time permanent with my still current company so I did not go back but otherwise I would have.
Pros
When become permanent you receive clothes allowances and paid vacations
Cons
Salary reduced when become permanent worker with benefits.
NJDC is Home
CLINICAL DIETITIAN (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 20, 2017
As soon as you enter the gates of NJDC, you feel you are welcomed. Everybody greet you with a big smile, sometimes a hug, whether you are a consumer or a staff. We all worked together for the best treatment of our consumers and we treat them as we treat our own family members, with respect, love and dignity. Management has an open-door policy. If you have a concern, you can bring it up to management. Just make sure you are ready to suggest a solution to your concern to help improve the facility as well as improve the care of our consumers. For any job, we are not sure that the job will be there. The job may be abolished or be on hold and it may take months to replace it. There is no job security whether it is private or public industry. One day the facility will be there; another day, it will closed. And once it's closed, it will be very difficult to re-open it again, unless a "good soul" will re-open the facility for its former residents to come back. They said Home is where the heart is. NJDC is Home; this is where I left my heart and I am still looking for another facility to lodge my heart. If NJDC did not close, I would have stayed at NJDC until retirement. For job advancement, other professions can advance but not for dietitians. It's very difficult for dietitians to advance especially if you have a micromanager who wanted to keep her post. Additionally, advancement is by seniority and not by performance. A senior dietitian who does not perform well may give me a hard time if I, of lesser seniority than her, get promoted over her. I might as well stay where I am, even  more... I perform excellently, than be promoted over the one senior than me and be thrown with rude remarks or rude stares.  less
Pros
Benefits; camaraderie; Staff I worked with; Consumers under my care; Circus
Cons
My supervisor is a micromanager
Productive Place to work
Human Service Assistant /Recreation (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJNovember 12, 2017
Case management position, helping clients in everyday living skills, group session and community access. Recreation activities for clients to enjoy and create. Document progress weekly. Good place to work and great management.
North Jersey Developmental Center
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJOctober 19, 2017
I encourage those individuals who loves working with mentally disabled women/men to be enthusiastic and challenge themselves everyday. North Jersey is located in Totowa New Jersey .
very good
Direct Care / Human Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJSeptember 19, 2017
First let me say that im so sorry this facility closed down and I miss it to this day. The co-workers were amazing I mean AMAZING they always brightened my day.
Pros
Great Food
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks
great job before they closed down
PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJune 28, 2017
vacation days
good benefits
flexible schedules
paid holidays
Wonderful place to work. I was devastated when it closed.
Cottage Training Technician (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJMarch 8, 2017
NJDC was a wonderful place to work for a caring, involved employee. I was there for almost 10 years and loved everything about my job. NJDC was shut down by the state of NJ and I was laid off. If that hadn't happened I would have more than likely retired from there.
Pros
Cons
its closure
very fun place to work
Straight Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJFebruary 12, 2017
I loved to go to work with my clients they've taught me so much and Management was great the workplace culture was great the hardest part was the closing of the facility and the most enjoyable part about this job is that I got to work learn teach love and experience working with the mentally disabled and challenge what a great place that was.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
closing of the facility
ok
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 24, 2016
The facility is no longer open but when it was I learned a lot and grew as a person. I build a better understanding of the importance of patience and understanding
Very professional
Food Service Worker/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJuly 19, 2016
This was an another amazing job. Everyone was so loving and caring. It felt so much like a family. The pay was great, the people was great and also the work was great.
Pros
Leave for break, long breaks.
Cons
Closed down permanently
North Jersey was a educational place to work
Administrative Assistance II/Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJune 17, 2016
A typical day was performing the work duties that was assigned to you and helping the staff with their day to day work schedule that is given to perform for the clients

I've come to learn that the healthcare for mental and physical disabled clients can be challenge for all the is part of the facility

Management was always busy in helping the workers conduct their duties in making sure the clients was well provided and well taken care of

There was really no hard part other than seeing a client not happy

The most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing you help provide services to make a difference in someone's life regardless to whom it may be
Pros
There was no free lunches
Cons
There was an 1 hour lunch break abd a 15 minute break if you choose too
A great working experience
HABILITATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 22, 2015
I had very special experience working in this organization. The greatest take away for me is the leadership and management style exhibited by the CEO
Pros
effective management and employee movitation
Cons
low wage and performance appreciation
Execellent Job
Human Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJune 2, 2015
North Jersey Developmental Center was an Excellent Job, we helped people with disabilities for the State of New Jersey. The institutions was a great place to be, half of us worked as team and the consumers came first at all time. The governor of New Jersey closed the institution down but we treated the institution like it was a home for the consumers and that why a lot of people did not understand.
Pros
Helping People with Disabilities
Cons
The Governor of New Jersey Closed the Job Down
No Place Like Home
Direct Care Worker/Human Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJApril 11, 2015
Every day I entered this job knowing I was going to make a difference . I learned that anybody can make a difference in someones life if you chose to help and care. I was trained by my managers to run the facility and all aspects of it. The people I worked with were great individuals that had the same aspirations and goals as I . The hardest part of the job was letting go of the bounds I built with my consumers and staff . This job made you feel like it was not a job but your second family.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Productive and good place to work
Secretary - Principal Clerk Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJFebruary 15, 2015
This company is excellent opportunity to provide services to the disable. Great place to work until they closed the facility.
Pros
Diversity Work Environment
Cons
Closed
productive
Senior Clerk Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 4, 2014
an ok place to work. benefits were good but job was ok.. flexible
I was a essentil employee.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 1, 2014
coming in getting my clients and take to morning feeding after that recreational activity.
Pros
Helping people and the pay wasn't bad
Cons
the driving