North Kansas City Hospital Employee Reviews

Decent Place To Work
Nursing Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City HospitalJuly 10, 2019
The people that work here are great. I love it here. The only issue is the pay and don't stick around for the raise.. it's only about .25 cents to .65 cents a year..it's based off your employee evaluation which is a tedious process. Other than the pay I liked working here. The benefits are good, cafeteria is yummy, Starbucks in the lobby, lots of CLOSE parking, and an all around nice atmosphere.
Management is the worst
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2019
NKCH sells you this idea that we work together and that they are different than other hospitals. This could not be further from the truth.

I worked in ES evenings which is mostly dismissals. It's very busy but totally doable work. My co-workers and Leads we great. However, the supervisors were the worst. They talk down to you as if you're a little child and will even yell at you. One never leaves the office but threatens how much trouble we will be in if he has to. The other will tear apart your clean room trying to find something wrong with it and when she can't, she gets upset and you have to fix the room back up. It's like she's angry you did a great job (makes no sense). There are no breaks except for lunch and they only give that to you because it's mandatory. They set up times when you go to lunch but will work you 1-2 hours past it but complain that you took it late.

There's a reason Environmental Services is always short staffed and has such a high turnover rate here.
It's okay
North Kansas City, Missouri - Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  KansasJuly 8, 2019
The department I work in is poorly managed but it's probably die to a systemic problem within the hospital. Too many people just here to work and not make a difference.
Some people made it enjoyable
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2019
Its a good place to work but the lab is so small and the phlebotomist are so petty i had to go. I think its a good place to work if your white cause they all stick together and gossip i had to go before i ended up in jail
Great olace to work for
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2019
I felt proud to be an employee of North Kansas City Hospital. The hospital pays time and a half for holidays, if you work on Christmas or thanksgiving you receive a $5 meal voucher for the cafeteria. Very friendly environment.
nice inverment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 4, 2019
had great staff just was not what I was looking for. I preferred working with children instead of adults it was also night shift which was really hard.
Pros
great staf
Cons
didnt like working with old people
Has potential for great employer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2019
I have worked for this company for about 1 1/2 years. The department has a Director and 2 Supervisors, but there is no leadership. When a supervisor is asked a question, you are asked what the policy says, but the policies are never followed. There is no consistency or accountability within my department, so it's basically a free for all when it comes to how things are suppose to be handled.

The Supervisors sit in their offices all day on their computers. One of them comes in in street clothes and flip flops, puts his feet up on the desk and clicks through the computer shopping on Amazon most days. The other hates confrontation which is ironic considering the department I'm in handles nothing but confrontations. Neither Supervisor will actually discipline anyone who is in "The Group." If you're not in "The Group", there still won't be real discipline, but you will be pulled in the office all the time getting a "talking too" and threats of HR action. The rules that apply to some, don't apply to the others. I have been told on numerous occasions, that I can't do the same things others are doing because it is against policy and won't be tolerated.

There are so many VPs, Senior Director, Director, Senior Manager, Manager, Supervisor, Leads, that you never know who to really go to with a problem, which doesn't matter since it won't be listened to and handled.

This place needs an overhaul from the top down!
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOMay 17, 2019
Teamwork is wonderful, pay is decent, cafeteria food is good. Long hours and busy work but co workers are great to work with. Benefits are excellent too
great place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 7, 2019
I really enjoyed working at NKCH hospital! The people I worked with from fellow nurses on the floor to my upper management were all amazing to work with!
0 Stars
Histology Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 8, 2019
The culture and work environment is why I left. There were only a handful of people who were actually nice. The ONLY nice thing was the benefits and through the benefits you could acquire some satisfaction. Otherwise.... There were only protocols for what was necessary, a lot were not followed. The only nice people were the volunteers. And even then they were disgruntled. NOT Military friendly, no communication, and blatant disregard of PT AND EMPLOYEE WELL being.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, the people, the hours, the work ratio
Room Service Associate (Current Employee) –  MoMarch 5, 2019
Just get the food handlers license early so you don’t have to worry about it as much because you only have about a month to get it before you aren’t able to work
A very demanding and fast-paced work environment that is ever-growing
Outpatient Scheduler / Prior-Authorizations (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 1, 2019
Working at NKCH as an off-site scheduler is a fast-pace and demanding job. On an average day I received a variety of orders from 15 different doctors in which I had to call each of the patients health insurance and retrieve an authorization for required tests or retrieve No Prior-Authorization Required and document the contact information along with time & date. After I received the authorization I had to work with the patient to get the test/tests scheduled as fast as possible.
Going Over medical records to prove medical necessity so that a patient can have the test he or she needs is very fulfilling. When the patient is there to witness your efforts on this process they are very grateful and at that time it becomes self rewarding as well!
I was 2 months shy from being employed at NKCH for 5 years and I found the most difficult part to be the department supervisores. In the 5 said years our department went through 7 supervisors. Most had not spent the time to learn the differences from the off-site schedulers who retrieved Prior-Authorizations apart from the Department Schedulers who did not call on patients insurances and were more number driven yet both jobs were very demanding and meaningful. This was the problem for constant misdirection and confusion in our process for getting our patient scheduled. Our bosses were always confident in our work but also wanting to add things that did not flow with the timeframe we were given causing stress and confusion on a job that was well done.
Pros
Great Self Worth, Always Helping Patients, Always Busy
Cons
many changes made before the understanding came of our workflow
First Job
occupational therapist (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOJanuary 4, 2019
I took my job out of school in the hospital I was born in! I worked in short term rehabilitation with a full hospital team. NKCH rehab floor is now a partner with Kindred Health Care.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
very quick paced
Overall job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 29, 2018
I overall love my job and what I do. I love helping nurses and making patient meds knowing they are getting better. I am very detailed at what I do and go above what I’m asked to do or required to do
Good hospital to work for
Obstetrical Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2018
There have been good changes made regarding leadership on my unit at NKCH. There has been a pattern of allowing certain individuals to control and manipulate schedules and work load, but due to new leadership this is not being tolerated. The doctors we work with are appreciative and respectful.
scheduling visits, making visits communtiing with case manager
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOOctober 10, 2018
patients assigned to HHA, telephone call to patient and visits scheduled and made, communication with case manager on patients progress toward independence.
Pros
offer company cars
Cons
get calls to add visits at the last minute
North kansas city hospital is a good place to work
Outpatient Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2018
I would recommend working for nkch. It is a good place to work they do offer a lot of benefits to there employees. there are some things that could change but that is with every place
Community Atmosphere
Secretary/Technician (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2018
Big city hospital w/community atmosphere. Decent benefits. Hospital fitness center. Daycare on premise. Pay on par w/other area hospitals. Plenty of parking.
Gaining experience in life
RN (Former Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOAugust 29, 2018
Great coworkers and teamwork. Wide variety of experience to be obtained. Hardest part is that no matter what the patient is always right, so even if they were wrong, you the nurse were wrong and they were right, management does not investigate accordingly. This happened to several nurses. Need a true management turnover.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
seeing new life come into the world was wonderful
Obstetrical Technician (Former Employee) –  KansasAugust 17, 2018
Working in obstetrics could be feast or famine. There could be one to two mothers laboring or 6-7 and being an obstetrical technician and being required to scrub in for all deliveries and clean the instruments, prepare for next case - which meant cleaning, packaging and sterilizing, could be rough. Workplace culture could be cutthroat - the nurses would tell one that a good job was being done and then say to others that that person was lazy. That attitude made for a very uncertain work environment.
Pros
working with the new moms - assisting them with breastfeeding (I too was a new mom), bathing, feeding and holding the newborns
Cons
when it was busy it was ridiculously busy