North Orange County Community College District

North Orange County Community College District Employee Reviews

A learning institution
Faculty/Instructor of Computer Maintenance Repair (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 7, 2018
The college job was a typical learning institution. What made it fun was having to deal with the various students' personalities and diverse backgrounds. Most students respected me for what I was: a teacher. However, I had to find innovative ways to motivate the students, not all of them, but some of them. Overall, it was a good experience.
Pros
Good experience dealing with diverse individuals.
Cons
Prone to California State Budget and minimum enrollment.
Who you know is everything
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  NOCCCDJune 28, 2018
Try to get promoted, your friend better be on the committee! Hostile work areas are not addressed by Board, President, or union. Lots of lazy workers who pass the buck. Some of the secretaries and faculty are very rude to the students.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth unless you have friends.
Rewarding Job
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJune 8, 2018
Teaching is a very humble and thankless job. The financial compensation is low, but we're not in it for the money, right? Knowing that we're helping to improve people's lives is reward enough.

Typical schedule for me is two nights a week from 5-10 pm (teaching 2 classes). There are regular assessments, SLOs and other paperwork that needs to be submitted. Much of the success of the ESL program depends on student attendance and the aforementioned paperwork.

We rarely see management face to face unless they need something. The main form of communication is through email.
good place to work
Director/ Director of Campus Safety (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 6, 2018
Good Place to work, collaborative atmosphere. There is a great deal of consideration given to the students and staff, and how best to accommodate the needs of all
Excellent place to work. Lots of support from all departments
Adjunct Transition Counselor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMarch 27, 2018
I really enjoy working at NOCCCD. I have learned a lot this first year. I have many opportunities to meet and learn from other departments as well as conferences to learn from other colleges. The work culture is excellent, everyone is friendly and welcoming. I like the way the schools put students as priority. Staff and instructors are dedicated in helping students succeed. I feel a lot of pride working in such a professional and supportive environment. In addition, the district provide technology that makes my job easier. Overall it's a great place to work. The only challenge is getting enough hours but it's work in progress.
Pros
Family oriented, professional atmosphere, friendly staff, pays well, opportunities to learn
Cons
Not enough hours
Semi-Hostile
Adjunct Faculty - El Camino Real Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 22, 2018
The advancement opportunities are minimal. Management is unrefined. The current focus appears to be on generating additional funding rather than on an overall goal overall goal or mission
Working with the students is amazing, but the politics is brain-draining and soul sapping. Currently the adjunct union and the district are in mediation because of how badly the district devalues adjunct faculty. I have learned a lot working at this location for both what to do right as an individual, and better yet, not how to treat others. I have learned that in order to survive as an instructor here, you have to teach guided by a personal mission, rather than by the guidance of management because management only sees employees and students as a number.
Love working with highly qualified staff
Adjunct Faculty, Digital Arts (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAFebruary 18, 2018
I have been serving as an adjunct instructor at NOCCCD since many years. It is a very prestigious place to work with highly qualified staff and faculty. Everyone treats each other with respect and you feel part of the extended family.
Great Place to work!
Lab Technician (Full time Classified Staff) (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 15, 2018
I just wish there was a better opportunity for entry level positions for analysts or other jobs that are currently growing. It is very difficult to move up from within.
Productive, fun, enjoyable place to work at
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CADecember 15, 2017
This is a great place to work at for students. With great co-worker and friendly environment. They are very considerate of your time and will give you flexible hours according to your need. A typical day at work would be attending to the students needs and answering most of the questions they have. You will also be required to provide the students with the materials they need when they come in to do their work. You will be train to do all sort of different things.
Pros
Flexible hours, sometimes get free food, friendly co-worker
productive and fun work place
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CADecember 13, 2017
Everyday varied, some days were busier than others. I learned to be patient, work as a team, and to be considerate of people's needs. Management is great, I had great supervisors. Hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was working with great co workers and supervisors and the relationships you build with the staff and clients.
Pros
paid sick leave
Adjunct Instructing
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CADecember 5, 2017
The district was good to work for but there was no opportunity for advancement. It was difficult to get permenantly hired part-time or full-time. No retirement match.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
no permenant hire
Fullerton College Bookstore
Back-Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CA11November 7, 2017
You're helping a ship-load of students find books at the beginning of the semester until you might be lucky to get a few people come in during the day. In my defense, I was working the back-stock where all of the books are located. The beginning of the semesters are hectic and then slows down significantly. You do the occasional book receiving for books ordered for the next semester and stocking books in the small "warehouse" in the back, but it's fun. The hardest part of the job was actually finding the books when there were literally lines of people looking for help going around the shelves in the store. There is definitely a special satisfaction when you do find that book that someone needs.
Pros
Get paid to stand around and guard books
Cons
It can get REALLY slow.
Productive and fun place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 16, 2017
Teaching vocational Art, Computer Graphics, Web Page Design, Multimedia/Animation and Digital Photography classes. Along with teaching, you may serve as a member of advisory committees to help institutes to develop and modify their curriculum and keep the courses content current with today’s changing technology.
Hourly
Administrative Assistant I - Hourly (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 7, 2017
My previous review was for Adjunct. This review is for the Human Resources Department. Human Resources was a great place to work under the previous manager. I worked as an hourly while going to school for several years doing general office work. I answered phone, redirected phone calls, answered calls on the job line, responded to work related emails, processed job applications, closed job postings, created job listings, handled confidential information, and just helped with any situation that was within my knowledge base, and that included basic computer troubleshooting techniques. I don't believe that I had a hard part of the day because I enjoyed the work.
Unreliable for Adjuncts
Adjunct Faculty - El Camino Real Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 7, 2017
For a typical day, I'd open the lab and help students earn his or her high school diploma. I would assign subjects, grade, file, teach, take inventory, train new employees, and maintain the lab in a manner that is required by district protocol. The environment is safe and friendly, and I very rarely ever had to discipline a student. All of the students are adults. I never found any part of the job difficult, although, some might because the job requires knowledge of not only a single discipline, but a wide variety that includes general math, algebra, geometry, English, social sciences, science. I love teaching and I found the job rewarding, however, the hardest part for me was the inexperienced management. The entire department has new managers. The managers are friendly, but highly inexperienced, so common workplace courtesy from upper management is absent and often apathetic. Sadly, at the end of the day, I was left feeling like an expendable employee, rather than a member of an appreciated team.
Intimate and fun workplace
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 4, 2017
Working for the Health Workforce Initiative was a rewarding professional experience for me. The system provided nurses and students with additional courses and informational conferences at an affordable price.
Pros
Friendly co-wokers
Cons
Quick training process
work study is great
Student Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJuly 18, 2017
I was in work study so i was able to go to school full time and work on campus. They work around your schedule. It is very flexible. everyone should apply for it when they start college
Great Students
Adjunct Economics Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAApril 10, 2017
The students are motivated and willing to learn. Make sure to bring your energy with you into the class room and share your passion with the students to get them involved.
Pros
Great Students
Growing community education culter
Computer Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 20, 2017
I was a part-time instructor at the School of Continuing Education (SCE), a branch of the North Orange County Community College District. During my tenure I saw SCE emerge as an accredited educational institution. Over the years SCE has seriously pursued its mission and continues to assume a credible role in California's evolving community education environment.

I had to work according to the school's new policies and procedures. I never had any difficulty doing this, as I recognized SCE's growing importance to the community of students in and extending beyond Orange County, California.

I never felt impeded in doing my very best to give my students the best education I could!
Fun and rewarding workplace
Digital Media Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 14, 2016
I teach at School of Continuing Education for NOCCCD. It is a fun and rewarding workplace where I can teach digital media skills to both young, and old, experienced and novices.
Pros
Great Campus
Cons
Not many people know about this school