North Orange County Community College District

North Orange County Community College District Employee Reviews

United States38 reviews
Great place to work with many dedicated employees who help the community on a regular basis. Employees are motivated and are compelled to assist students in any way they can.
Fun work environment with fantastic students!
I'm learning to take my class remote during the current pandemic.

Management is very supportive in all our needs.

Very nice and caring people in the workplace, everyone goes out of their way to make sure you have what you need.

The hardest part of this job is keeping up with constant changes, but everyone is experiencing that right now.

The most enjoyable part is working with all my students and sharing our work as it develops.
I was part-time. I always felt supported and valued. All my work was done off-campus at seven different locations in Orange County. I worked in the LEAP program which is such a valuable program for working with assisted living facilities.
Lots of Clerical work. You work as a team and you are committed to all the students in the campus. As long as you get your work done you will be just fine. The most enjoyable part is communicating with staff and students.
As an adjunct, it is easy for me to work my class schedule without a lot of red tape. The support staff is always friendly and helpful. I mostly work at Cypress, but have had the opportunity to work in Anaheim and Fullerton as well.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
A great workplace, employee and student-centered. Many events to motivate employees. Very dedicated to providing students with good services and guidance.
I loved being an English coach. I was able to assist older adults in their pursuit of learning English as a second language. I learned a lot and the teacher I worked with was very friendly.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
I was an intern
The college job was a typical learning institution. What made it fun was having to deal with the various students' personalities and diverse backgrounds. Most students respected me for what I was: a teacher. However, I had to find innovative ways to motivate the students, not all of them, but some of them. Overall, it was a good experience.
Pros
Good experience dealing with diverse individuals.
Cons
Prone to California State Budget and minimum enrollment.
Try to get promoted, your friend better be on the committee! Hostile work areas are not addressed by Board, President, or union. Lots of lazy workers who pass the buck. Some of the secretaries and faculty are very rude to the students.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth unless you have friends.
Teaching is a very humble and thankless job. The financial compensation is low, but we're not in it for the money, right? Knowing that we're helping to improve people's lives is reward enough.

Typical schedule for me is two nights a week from 5-10 pm (teaching 2 classes). There are regular assessments, SLOs and other paperwork that needs to be submitted. Much of the success of the ESL program depends on student attendance and the aforementioned paperwork.

We rarely see management face to face unless they need something. The main form of communication is through email.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at North Orange County Community College District?
Good Place to work, collaborative atmosphere. There is a great deal of consideration given to the students and staff, and how best to accommodate the needs of all
I really enjoy working at NOCCCD. I have learned a lot this first year. I have many opportunities to meet and learn from other departments as well as conferences to learn from other colleges. The work culture is excellent, everyone is friendly and welcoming. I like the way the schools put students as priority. Staff and instructors are dedicated in helping students succeed. I feel a lot of pride working in such a professional and supportive environment. In addition, the district provide technology that makes my job easier. Overall it's a great place to work. The only challenge is getting enough hours but it's work in progress.
Pros
Family oriented, professional atmosphere, friendly staff, pays well, opportunities to learn
Cons
Not enough hours
The advancement opportunities are minimal. Management is unrefined. The current focus appears to be on generating additional funding rather than on an overall goal overall goal or mission
Working with the students is amazing, but the politics is brain-draining and soul sapping. Currently the adjunct union and the district are in mediation because of how badly the district devalues adjunct faculty. I have learned a lot working at this location for both what to do right as an individual, and better yet, not how to treat others. I have learned that in order to survive as an instructor here, you have to teach guided by a personal mission, rather than by the guidance of management because management only sees employees and students as a number.
I have been serving as an adjunct instructor at NOCCCD since many years. It is a very prestigious place to work with highly qualified staff and faculty. Everyone treats each other with respect and you feel part of the extended family.
I just wish there was a better opportunity for entry level positions for analysts or other jobs that are currently growing. It is very difficult to move up from within.
This is a great place to work at for students. With great co-worker and friendly environment. They are very considerate of your time and will give you flexible hours according to your need. A typical day at work would be attending to the students needs and answering most of the questions they have. You will also be required to provide the students with the materials they need when they come in to do their work. You will be train to do all sort of different things.
Pros
Flexible hours, sometimes get free food, friendly co-worker
Everyday varied, some days were busier than others. I learned to be patient, work as a team, and to be considerate of people's needs. Management is great, I had great supervisors. Hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was working with great co workers and supervisors and the relationships you build with the staff and clients.
Pros
paid sick leave
The district was good to work for but there was no opportunity for advancement. It was difficult to get permenantly hired part-time or full-time. No retirement match.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
no permenant hire
You're helping a ship-load of students find books at the beginning of the semester until you might be lucky to get a few people come in during the day. In my defense, I was working the back-stock where all of the books are located. The beginning of the semesters are hectic and then slows down significantly. You do the occasional book receiving for books ordered for the next semester and stocking books in the small "warehouse" in the back, but it's fun. The hardest part of the job was actually finding the books when there were literally lines of people looking for help going around the shelves in the store. There is definitely a special satisfaction when you do find that book that someone needs.
Pros
Get paid to stand around and guard books
Cons
It can get REALLY slow.
Teaching vocational Art, Computer Graphics, Web Page Design, Multimedia/Animation and Digital Photography classes. Along with teaching, you may serve as a member of advisory committees to help institutes to develop and modify their curriculum and keep the courses content current with today’s changing technology.
My previous review was for Adjunct. This review is for the Human Resources Department. Human Resources was a great place to work under the previous manager. I worked as an hourly while going to school for several years doing general office work. I answered phone, redirected phone calls, answered calls on the job line, responded to work related emails, processed job applications, closed job postings, created job listings, handled confidential information, and just helped with any situation that was within my knowledge base, and that included basic computer troubleshooting techniques. I don't believe that I had a hard part of the day because I enjoyed the work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Orange County Community College District. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3