North Park University Employee Reviews

A warm and welcoming atomsphere for all. Very diverse, always learning and growing. Great place for developing one's personal growth and mastery.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Management is very knowledgeable and skillful.
Management takes the time to train and teach new skills to employee's.
North Park gives you autonomy.
Gain experience working with diverse groups, backgrounds, and cultures from all over the world.
The best part about working at North Park is being able to help young adults pursue the next chapter of their lives.
Pros
environment/community
Cons
low pay
Workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2018
We usually get a high volume of students who need help whether its about classes or talking to a counselor, we direct students, make appointments, phone calls. The workplace ethic is. very diverse and fun to be around because you learn something new everyday. As this is a growing experience we learn new things how to evaluate and make students lives easier and accessible.
Pros
there is always an advisor to help see students, we never turn a student away no mater what the situation is
Great place to do homework and also enjoy friends company
Cadaver dissection (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 8, 2018
I worked at North Park as a student worker so there were no paid vacation time or health insurance. The only benefit out of it is that you get to do homework and study for your classes if your boss does not assign you tasks. If they do, they usually are something simple that can be done in less than 30 minutes. Morning shifts are slow and great to do homework and study and in the afternoon, friends stop by to hang out and you can talk and enjoy their company. It is also very diverse so tons of fun and work was never boring.
Pros
Free lunches, get homework done, meet new people
Culture starts from the top
Head Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2017
A good or bad job culture starts from the top and works its way down the down. Let's just say that the culture at North Park was anything but good. Lots of pettiness and backstabbing, but it was all coming from the top of our Department down.. I would never suggest that a friend apply to that Institution until there a change in leadership.
This was a relaxed job that is perfect for a student.
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2017
This job was perfect for me as a student. The management was great and there is room for advancement if you are a noticeably good worker. I was offered the position of desk manager, but because I had to relocate, I could not take it.
student employee. ups and downs
Assistant Recruiter, Track and Field (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2017
Former NPU student-employee. I had several jobs on campus, some better than others. Not very competitive wage. and pretty much only part-time opportunities.
Advocacy and marketing
Communication Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2017
I learned to listen and give new cultural perspectives.

The north park community is very family friendly and and the most enjoyable part was the ability of always making mistakes and always be encouraged to try again and learn from it.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low salary
Excllent learning experience
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2017
This was a contractual position. The students were BSN students, and the support of new faculty was not as inclusive as I would have liked. The administration was willing to listen to concerns and or issues. The resources were current and available to me
Ok Place To Work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2017
Good friendly people at North Park. Christian University where people will try and help you if you need help. The pay is not great since it is in Chicago.
Pros
Friendly University
Cons
Low Pay
good place to work as a student
Student Manager(Event Staff/Intramural) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2017
They work around your busy school schedule and are very patient with you as they know you are just a student learning how to do a lot of these task for the first time.
I had a wonderful time working at NPU
New Market Development / Associate Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2017
I had a wonderful time working at NPU. Very good people that care for the kids. I would Highly recommend this University.
Work/Study
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2016
Started working here at the beginning of my college career and many different opportunities presented themselves to work in either custodial or food service. The jobs worked around my school schedule so that was nice. However, they did pay federal minimum wage at the time so I only made about $7.50/hr, so it was a struggle to manage working 40hrs/week to pay my tuition and go to school.
Nice coworkers; lousy senior administration
sudent advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2016
North Park University has some great staff people, many of whom have worked there for decades. Senior management leaves a lot to be desired.

The university closes for a week and a half at Christmas time so everyone gets a paid christmas break, however, the King holiday is only for students and faculty, a rather ironic policy considering MLK was all about equal rights for all.

This school seems to be barely staying above water. They function like a very poorly oiled machine.
Fun place to work with great colleagues
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2016
People you work with make the job, caring group of people. Work is sometimes varied and everything comes at once. Good for continued education if that's what you want.
Productive and great work place
Men's Athletic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2016
Working here had a family like environment, even though it had the big city energy campus provided a soothing, small town feel.
Great place
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2016
North Park is an amazing university with so much to offer. Unfortunately with new management, the enrollment offices are feeling undervalued and expendable.
Good environment with great co-workers
Supervisor and Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2015
I stated out on the serving line as a freshmen and during my senior year I was promoted to location manager. In the dining hall I learned how to work in a kitchen, serve and prep food based out production outlines, schedule and manager students. As a location manager I learned to do inventory, make product orders and do financial reports. This job has given me the ability to learn and grow throughout college.
Good Environment, Great People, Little Advancement
Student Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2015
North Park is a great place to work and a lot of people who work there live in the Albany Park community. Because North Park is a non-profit educational institution, budgets are low. There aren't many opportunities for raises or position advancements. A lot of people who work at North Park, remain in their position a long time, which can make it hard to advance. Benefit packanges could be better, but they do give most full-time staff access to the exercise facilities and some staff is given the opportunity to attend school for free, as long as it doesn't interfere with your work.Tuition discounts are offerend for dependent of staff mambers as well.
fun work place
desk person (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2015
As an Exercise Science major I am trained to be patient, compassionate, and understanding. I speak English and Polish. I will do anything I can to help athletes successful on the field. I believe I have qualities that will make thrive in this field of work. The lack of professional experience I have is more fulfilled by my leadership and volunteer experience I have done ever since grade school; therefore I have experience working with people of all ages, from helping special needs to coaching and training young kids and teenagers.
Independent research experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2015
I worked as a lab assistant for my university and screened ticks (Ixodes scapularis) for Borrelia miyamotoi in the Chicagoland area. A typical day of work consisted of taking the individual tick DNA and running PCR to detect if said tick was infected. The results were visualized via gel elecrophoresis. There were advisors who were able to help with any questions you had, but it was encouraged to learn and figure out things for yourself. I gained a lot of independence from the position.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not always got questions answered