North Spring Behavioral Healthcare

United States37 reviews
Featured review
North Spring Behavioral Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Phenomenal Organization and Rewarding Work
North Spring is a great place to work and my current job there is thus far the most gratifying position I've held in all of my professional experience. The environment is collaborative and encouraging and the compensation/benefits are competitive. Senior management cares about its' employees and has always provided me the tools I've needed to be successful in my day-to-day work, as well as the tools I've needed for advancement opportunities.
Pros
Incredible Benefits, Collaborative and Inclusive Environment, Leadership, Advancement Opportunities
Abysmal and unethical
Great learning experience, would not have the diverse skill set had I not had the experience of working at North Spring. Met many amazing human colleagues, in all departments, I am positive I will never have to opportunity to meet such talented and strong people in this capacity. That said, North Spring is a greedy cooperation that puts all energy into making a profit. This has caused great trauma to all those involved in the business, including not just personal trauma but to society and the population that it serves as a whole. I love love loved the work I did with the kids and families, I was good at it, got the job done and was on top of everything, including the daunting paperwork that was never ending and forever changing. Despite my loyalty, skill set and work ethic, my efforts went unappreciated and discarded. My most current supervisor was a glutton to please the CEO and went above and beyond her duties to micro manage to the point of misery and emotional abuse. I had never been unhappier at a work place than when my former supervisor came on board. Sure, it may look good to administration initially, but eventually that mentality will catch up and unfortunately, those harmed are usually innocent victims that are seeking help. This agency has struggled with joint commission, Medicaid and various localities regarding accurate documentation, ethical practice and appropriate conduct. Please be weary of working for this company as it can be a liability and tragedy waiting to happen. I resigned after a long run at North Spring, and that was hard due to my commitment to my - more...
Dangerous
I worked there PRN for a while in their residential facility. When they opened their acute location, I wasn't there for very long. The building started falling apart and flooding within 2 months of being built. Constantly working understaffed (never enough techs) so the one nurse (only one nurse on staff at a time for 17 kids at the time) was in holds regularly. It was paper charting so the paperwork required for 1 hold was over 10 pgs. If there was 3+ holds in a 12 hour shift, I'd have 30+ pages of hold paperwork alone! Not even counting regular documentation! Equipment was lacking; I had to bring in my own equipment to care for children's wounds. When I quit, I told my manager "This place is a ticking time bomb". Lo and behold, 1 hold related death and not even a few months later, a broken spine related to an improper hold! That place had SUCH potential to be something great, but with lack of staffing, it was terrible. Spend the money to staff appropriately, or OVER staff! Morale of staff and children will improve as will safety.
Pros
I was trusted to make my own decisions, independence, respect.
Cons
Poor staffing, not adequate pay (considering the work I was putting in).
Self Care needed
Self care needed to prevent burn out; lack of support from staff. It would be nice if overall the staff were more approachable,instead of assumming/judging me,very "clicky". I wonder about this companies measurable outcomes, can't be too good, by simple observation one can see how clients' are mistreated and not making progress;yet it is so costly.
I loved the kids but not enough staff
Work environment was tough due to understaffing, and disgruntled staff. Not an easy job without the understaffing. Very intense issues. Can make a difference if you stay caring and don't mind sacrificing your own time. It's just a tough business. Had my department had one more good staff member I believe I would have had success. too much expectation for one person. I felt like I couldn't do it all.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Toxic atmosphere
Direct supervisors are mostly terrible. Nobody shows up to relieve your shift and you are constantly held over. Staffing is so low that it creates a safety issue.
Pros
Pay is good, some good staff
Cons
Most employees Who are good at their jobs move on
great company
Great money and People to work with I love working for North Spring. I Think if you love working with kids and giving back North Spring is a great Start.
Toxic.
NS is the worst job I’ve had.
NO loyalty towards the staff that has worked hard, picked up extra shifts every week & stayed for years. Drama all the time.

Kitchen staff: disrespectful towards residents and staff members. They can’t make a food tray right to save their life. complain about everything.

Management: will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.

They will believe the resident word over the staffs. Unfair treatment— let the weaker staff members make big mistake after big mistake, with no consequences & expect strong staff to pick up the slack and take blame for the mistakes of other staff. Unreasonable staff expectations, You work 16-18hr shifts w/out any type of break.

CEO and HR: they will FIRE you & NOT even tell you that you’re fired.

They are sketchy, weak-minded men.

They blame staff for every situation that happens & will punish you without any actual evidence/proof, they don’t ask for your side of the situation. Go behind your back, break verbal contracts.

They are clueless about what it’s actually like working on the units, handling situations & offer zero guidance or suggestions on how to help. Ignore staff suggestions on how to make working the units better, what isn’t working and what to fix in the unit program.
Horrible place to work
Management are mostly terrible. They lie and punish the people who do their jobs so their pets can get away with coming in late, not showing up at all. You are stuck working extra shifts when they don’t come in. The pets get all the promotions. Absolute worst place I have ever worked! I wouldn’t recommend them to my worst enemy. I feel sorry for most of the people that are stuck there. I’m so glad to be gone!
Pros
Cons
No breaks, poor management, hateful people
Nasty, horrible place to work
This is the absolute lousiest job I ever had. Most of the unit coordinators are horrible. You can be held over if the next shift is late or doesn’t show up. The ones who come to work late all the time are rewarded with supervisor jobs and get away with murder while everyone who does their job are stuck picking up the slack.
Unsafe for Employees
Understaffed, overworked and underpaid. Generally, enjoyed my coworkers but felt like our residents never got the the level of care they really needed because we were always so understaffed. When working with residents that are behaviorally out of control or in a crisis, having competent, experienced staff present is mandatory. Management expected staff to wear multiple hats and fill gaps in staffing on a daily basis.

Has the potential to be really rewarding and you can see kids really make positive changes.
Pros
Other staff members, and working with some great kids
Cons
understaffing makes it unsafe for staff and residents
Very stressful and not a good fit for people with kids
My day is long and stressful. Management is constantly watching me and I feel I don't have much space. I consistently work overtime or am expected to go to a training and then need to do my full time job in addition. Not enough help for the work load and lots of detailed expectations.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
very stressful, expected to work late
Stressful, Unprofessional staff, Unsanitary, Unqualified Supervisors
North Spring Behavioral Health is not your typical work place.
Majority of the older staff members who's been there for years are very mean and aggressive. If you are new staff and they don't like you, the older staff will go out of their way to make you uncomfortable hoping you will quit. There is definitely a "Click" among the staff that works there. Unfortunately, some of the shift leads and supervisors are in this click. There are several staff members who comes to work just to sleep, go out multiple times during their shift to smoke,constantly on their cell phones, and will leave the new staff in the unit to deal with the kids while they are out chatting with their friends in another unit. This goes on everyday, the culture is so negative because of the older staff that were there for awhile and have gotten used to acting unprofessional not only to other staff but also to the kids. Working in North Spring Behavioral Health is definitely a challenge if you are trying to do your job the right way and you are not corrupt. I recommend that the upper management should take a close look on their older staff members and investigate how they work and treat the kids. It is definitely an eye opener. Favoritism, manipulating the schedule, jealous old staff members, sleeping on the job, constantly on their cell phones, smoking and taking breaks multiple times during their shifts, cursing the kids, no call no show, tardiness and staff dating each other are just few of the things that goes on in this place.
Lack of support and structure
NSBH has a lot of potential but the sheer lack of support (and often outright hostility) from management makes it a depressing place to work. 99% of the people who work there are miserable and will tell you they hate it.

Ethically it’s a challenging place to work. They do the bare minimum to stay up to code, rushing around to spruce up before inspectors get there. Even supervisors make fun of kids and say awful things to them while they’re in crisis.

The kids are challenging, but it’s made worse by a lack of support or enforcement of rules. They have very little structure and act out because of that.

The environment is dirty. There are literally mice in the areas the kids live and sleep. I hated going to work every single day.

The benefits are okay and the pay is better than most tech positions. Decent amount of PTO and opportunities for overtime. You earn every single penny though.
Pros
Pto, overtime opportunities, pay better than many places
Cons
Lack of support from management, unstable environment, very unsanitary, angry/depressed coworkers
First Job Out of College
This job was my first job out of college and it was an eye opening experience, in a positive and negative way. You will need to have thick skin to work here. The children can be difficult at times (all kids can, but these are teenagers). They offer plenty of overtime, but be careful because they do mandate and you will be fired if you refuse to stay. If you're looking for a job that will help change a child's life, this may not be it. I was told that the majority of the kids here you will not be able to reach but there is a small percentage of kids you can. Best advice I received at this job. Do not give up hope but be aware that you cannot help those who do not want to be helped.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Little to NO breaks
Run far and fast
The nursing staff tries but the techs run this hospital. Management did not listen, Nursing license is at risk on a daily basis. The only up side is working with the kids.
RUN!! Do not apply... do not interview... do not accept job offer. People are fired or quit without notice.
DO NOT WORK HERE. Management is a joke. The kids are the easiest to work with... staff not. I would never recommend this place for treatment or to work. EVER.
Horrible Place to work and teach HORRIBLE
Management is awful, teachers cannot teach due to behaviors in the classroom. Students are allowed to run the place and the staff. Horrible place to send any child.
Pros
Cons
unhealthy meals fatty
Stressful, demanding, and unappreciative
Not enough staff; too much documentation; unnecessary replication of documentation; lack of collaborative leadership; and not family-centered or kid-centered at all.
Pros
Salary
Cons
workload and hours
Is rewarding if you have Patience
I worked as a MHS for many years at North Spring and learned a great deal. The opportunity to see many different forms of mental Health is rewarding and valuable for the field. You will work overtime, it’s difficult to get a day off, short staffing is a problem, and the clients can be dangerous. However, if you take the time to learn from senior staff and really do 100% all the time you’ll enjoy your work.
Pros
Free meals, Tons of overtime if wanted (or not), never a dull moment, teamwork
Cons
Little breaks (if at all), Management is rude, Shift Mandation without appropriate notice, building feels dirty
Great place for where I was at in my career after graduating college
Tough environment, but rewarding. I gained a variety of skills and was able to advanced myself later down the road. Like all jobs - there are good days and bad days.
Pros
Employee perks, lots of skills gained, good working relationship with management
Cons
Long shifts, stressful environment working with troubled children (to be expected though)
Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Spring Behavioral Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4