North Spring Behavioral Healthcare Employee Reviews

Great place for where I was at in my career after graduating college
N/A (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 27, 2018
Tough environment, but rewarding. I gained a variety of skills and was able to advanced myself later down the road. Like all jobs - there are good days and bad days.
Pros
Employee perks, lots of skills gained, good working relationship with management
Cons
Long shifts, stressful environment working with troubled children (to be expected though)
Fun and hard work
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 19, 2018
Very good with students helped student relearn how to live and return to public schools and home. Students learned how to managed money ,shop and apply for college
Pros
Fun
Cons
Hard work
Huge Regret
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJanuary 5, 2018
When I worked full time, I was working 55-60 hours a week even though my schedule was 40. They kept mandating me (forcing me to work extra hours without advanced notice).
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, Low Pay, High Stress, Not Enough Staff, Mandation without advanced notice
For profit mental health facility takes advantage of the employees and residents
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMay 31, 2017
Working here was extremely stressful. There is no sense of teamwork from the management through to the staff, and certainly not even in the interest of the children that are residents in the program. The environment is unsafe (while working there, I experience staff members who were stabbed in the back with pencils, had their knees broken, had their noses broken, and were threatened on a daily basis). A coworker witnessed the death of another coworker after their shift had ended, and was expected to return to work the next week.

Do not work for this company; after I have left, I've heard it's only gotten worse.
Stressful day-to-day
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 18, 2017
I worked at North Spring for over a year and I can verify that the pay you receive is minuscule compared to the work required. As a newer employee, be prepared to take the backseat and poor assignments compared to the long tenure staff.
Day to day there is a lot of variation that could be remedied through simple communication from management. Must be comfortable with confrontation with residents and be comfortable with performing physical restraints on residents, albeit with assistance, but occasionally it will start as just a 1 on 1.
There are minimal bathroom breaks (if any), especially when working a 16 hour shift on Saturdays/Sundays.
Pros
Free meals, lax management
Cons
Hard to advance, management, lack of breaks
Culture and supportive administration are lacking
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 2, 2017
The culture is not very trauma informed, which is unfortunate since most clients have a trauma history. Staff are under tremendous pressure to meet productivity and other standards, that are often unrealistic given the environment and limited resources. Administration takes a punitive stance toward staff who do not meet their expectations. Work culture echoes that of a traditional for-profit, capitalist corporation, which is not ideal in the mental health sector. Also, there is pressure to grow service lines when staffing and resources are not adequate to do so. Making a profit, and not providing quality treatment or a positive work environment, is the bottom- line.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Under staffed, harsh administration, not trauma informed
Apply I guess
Mental Health Specialist, Lead (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAAugust 11, 2016
Long Hours; no time off,no breaks. Very rewarding experience working with the children. Tons of overtime available for those who like picking up shifts.
Pros
overtime available
Cons
no breaks
You will work your life away there and for nothing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 4, 2016
The benefits are horrible, absolutely horrible, you have to find your own coverage to get a day off, there is no support from anywhere, the only good thing is experience that is why they are always hiring
Toxic atmosphere and very poor treatment of employees
I'd rather not say (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VASeptember 7, 2015
Upper and middle management make North Spring one of the most negative and hostile work environments I have ever experienced. As a long-time healthcare worker, I can say North Spring is one of the worst facilities I have worked in. The problem is management. They bully floor techs and staff and are quick to ruin someone's job if you stand up for yourself. Do not expect to be treated fairly or for anyone in managment to have your back. I strongly dissuade anyone from working here.
Pros
little to none
Cons
management, poor pay, no recognition of good work, toxic work atmosphere
Working with adolescents
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 29, 2015
Very rewarding to work with this population. The work can be draining at times. The work load is pretty heavy at times. The clinical team is the best!
Pros
great pay, free lunches, christmas gifts, and employee appreciation events
Cons
flexibility in days off, work some weekends and evenings, kids can be aggressive
Emotionally gratifying, but can be exhausting
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 9, 2013
The best thing I love about this job are my coworkers and supervisors. I feel appreciated and supported, and for the most part, we all make a pretty great team. The biggest struggle comes from working with the kids. On the one hand, when you have the opportunity to see them change and grow, it gives you a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, and even hope; but when these kids first start out, there is hardly any respect, and there is a potential for danger from their physical aggression (this is where coworkers being good backup comes in). It really takes a thick-skinned and determined sort of person to work here, to get to the good that's in the kids through all of the bad.
Pros
beautiful campus/grounds, get to participate in outings for free
Cons
sometimes dangerous and physically/emotionally exhausting
Rewarding
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 1, 2013
Great pay, benefits, employee base, environment is safe, clean
Pros
location, philosophy
Rewarding Job!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 16, 2012
Managed a team of Mental Health Specialist and assisted with the direct care of clients

Oversaw daily facility operations, facilitated the hiring process, and conducted training sessions

Prepared daily, weekly, and monthly schedules in addition to maintaining safety standards
please see resume
Full-Time Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 15, 2012
As an admissions coordinator, the position was busy and stressful at times. The staff were cooperative and helpful as new admissions arrived almost daily.