North Star Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Damgerous and hostile workplace
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 7, 2018
This is the most dangerous, unethical, poorly managed facility I have ever seen with the highest turnover of nursing staff. In addition it is a hostile workplace that destroys moral in staff. They do not change poor patient care and/or neglectful practices, they work on ways to cover up these issues.
Pros
The patient population
Cons
The administrator, the CNO, the ADON, the management team
North star
Medical Record Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 21, 2018
North star prepared me for future careers.
Work culture is very stressful at times. Need to be able to handle children that have been though a lot in there short life. Need to be able to handle sad and disturbing stories. Need to have a heart and actually care about the children there.
Lack of growth and pay for front desk
Hospital Pool Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 12, 2018
Pay is little compared to most hospital front desks in my community. Lack of job growth within most departments, unless you have a degree and connections.
Productive and challenging
Manager, Health Information Management (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 6, 2018
Typical workday could include a variety of tasks and hours. May be from surveyors to corporate responsibilities. Gained tremendous knowledge from the health information management department to environment of care.
Pros
Extended Leave Benefits
Cons
None at this time
quick to screw you over
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 13, 2018
after working there for 2 months, they decided they no longer needed me full time, so they cut me to part time, told me they would work on getting it back to full time, but to no avail... once i quit, they hired someone else full time... same thing happened to him
I do not recommend this specific UHS facility
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 12, 2018
Stressful, minimal administrative support, undereducated staff, continuous Crisis interventions, minimal training, minimal advancement opportunities ,
Pros
secured, lock Mental Health facility, opportunity to provide therapeutic care
Cons
Steadily in Crisis, under experienced staff, minimal training, low pay, high turnover rate
Do not work there
Registered Nurse/Baylor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 12, 2017
A very unsafe place to work and the management is not supportive of their employees. HR and management look for ways to get nurses in trouble with the state nursing board as a means of retaliation.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Very unsafe and dangerous
The Rward is the out come
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 9, 2017
Great job cause you get a chance to help a troubled child turn their life around form the destruction path that they are on. Although it is a stressful job watching they kid excel is the reward.
Pros
Guilde a child to a better life a better path to grow.
Cons
to many people to answer to, and the pay is not enough.
stressful and enlightening
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 25, 2017
The atmosphere is definitely that of a mental hospital. There is children acting out, banging on the walls, yelling, cursing and destructive behavior. Management is clueless at how to keep the good employees and the bad employees leave after a couple of weeks as well. There is such high turnaround they cannot keep nurses as compensation is not competitive.
work day
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 5, 2017
During a typical work day I will receive about 4-10 Release of information requests. Depending on if I have charts to audit or file I will continue working on release of information's. We also go up on to the floor to work with the kids and file documents into the patient charts.
Pros
great management
Cons
few hours
Acute environment
Mental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 1, 2017
I worked as a Mental Health Specialist II on a pool schedule, meaning I was not a full-time employee, I was able to make my own schedule. However, due to a high need I was able to work full-time hours plus a ton of overtime.
Pros
Work with kids, Overtime
Cons
High turn over, aggressive staff
Flexible
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 2, 2017
Flexible, lots of opportunities to move shifts experience new units. Shifts are long fast paced based on patient acuity. Lots of thinking on your feet, guiding staff based on interventions and adjusting care based on patients illness and treatment plan.
Pros
Hours
Cons
High Acuity
Very positive staff and may challenges along the job
Mental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 30, 2017
Wokring at Northstar has been one of the greatest challenging jobs I've had and i enjoyed every minute of it. Working with behavioral kids can be very challenging. Learning how to be patient and being able to be that person to help guide them in the right path of life or to be a better person, it is the best job.
Pros
Great and Awesome co-workers
Cons
Unfair management and no benefits
Fair place to work
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 1, 2016
North Star Behavioral Health is an organization that requires to have very compassionate and talented people working for them. Overall it is a fair place to work.
Mental Health Tech
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work would begin early in the morning. Myself and my co-workers would come in and get the patients up and ready for the day. We would guide through different daily and therapeutic activities. We would counsel the patients as needed and help them with coping skills. This was a very rewarding and enjoyable job. I worked with the best staff in the world at this job!
Best place to work in both personal satisfaction and patient care
Mental Health Specialist III/ Clinical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 3, 2015
This was the most satisfying and rewarding job in mental health I have had. Each and every day was different, much like Centennial Peaks. I never knew what I was going into in regards to the patients, however when speaking on behalf of my co-workers I knew what to expect. That was support, positive attitudes, teamwork, understanding and creativity. This included the management team. I felt that I was able to go do management with any issues and they would be resolved in a way that would consider all those involved and to make everyone happy or satisfied with the decision. The safety of the patients was the priority as well as maintaining a therapeutic environment. Working with challenging and difficult youth was the hardest part of the job. Some of the rewards were hearing the youth tell me thank you for helping them or when they would write me thank you notes or the younger children drawing me pictures and getting excited to see me walk onto the unit. Working at North Star was a great experience and I would recommend anyone to work there or if they needed treatment for their children.
Pros
free meals, great positive environment, room for advances in my career, requested time off was easy to attain, loved the population I worked with, co-workers were supportive, positive, and easy to get along with, management took pride in their work.
Cons
not enough staff at times of crisis, short breaks on extended shifts, admitting patients when the units are full
Exceptional company to work for.
Mental Health Specialist II/Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palmer, AKMay 13, 2015
There is no typical day at work when managing at-risk adolescent males, however what was typical was the level of skill, care and positive disposition of my co-workers. To maintain a high level of effectiveness as a treatment facility, teamwork was an absolute must and I believe this happened daily. This effort helped each of us make a difference in the lives of many youth.
Pros
Helping at-risk youth and professional development
Cons
Realizing that dispite all our efforts, not all of the youth will make better choices.
Very productive and fun place to work at
Accounts Payable/Purchasing Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage AlaskaMarch 16, 2015
North Star is a very diversity and fun place to work at. Excellent customer service and the employees are very generous and good vibes.
Enjoyable work environment
Mental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 1, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company. I learned so much from my co-workers.
Overall great place to work, cohesive group of staff members, health care team, challenging environment, but rewarding. Supportive leadership
Teen Behavioral Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 24, 2014
Great place to work, challenging but rewarding. Great learning environment. Incentives are creative and fun. Nursing education provided on a consistent basis. Leadership supportive and flexible.
Pros
Job Security, Great leadership, stable environment, knowlegeable staff
Cons
High burnout, high stress, pay could be better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North Star Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

North Star Behavioral Health Reviews by Location