Northcentral University Employee Reviews

Great Place!
Compliance and Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 7, 2019
It's a great place to work! Love my coworkers and enjoy the job that I do. It's very satisfying to assist students throughout their educational journey.
Super place to work
Distinguished Core Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Faculty and staff are very kind and helpful. They do what they can to support you when life issues arise. I've been working there for 10 years and haven't regretted it at all.
I was a student at NCU
Student (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZDecember 28, 2018
As a student it was great. I feel I learned a lot that will help me be a productive teacher. Teaching is what I have wanted to do for a very long time.
Needs more peoplewith degrees
Administran (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 10, 2018
At Northcentral University there is poor management from leadership. There is a department that has lack of leadership presence. There has been multiple days where there is no leaders within a department. Not only is their a lack of presence from leadership, but their is also a lack of direction given from leadership. There is minimal communication with training or communication amongst the team. Another issue with leadership is a lack of listening skills that their employees ask them questions, assistance, and guidance. One last issue with leadership, is that they cover up their "favorite employees" when employees have done something they should have not done.

There is a lot of bullying (verbal & nonverbal) amongst employees and managers do not address the situation, they allow bullying to occur. You go to your leaders address how you feel, but there is no action that takes place. These employees are not written up/or fired with the extensive bullying that occurs on the workplace. When seeing this, it tells employees that this company allows bullying and they accept that type of behavior. According, to the HR handbook, bullying is against their policy. In the workplace, there is harassment amongst employees. Also, you see employees sabotaging their co-workers

I want to say that they are flexible with your schedule overall. However, I carpool with my husband and my leader will not change my schedule without a ligament reason. That is the part that stinks.

Overall, this company has poor management and Leadership
Pros
Relaxed and Flexible
Cons
Bullying, Managment/Leadership
Quality Education
Student (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 16, 2018
Provides quality education to students and fosters student development and success. Allows for remote education tiered to adults who work full-time or work in home.
Positive review.
Infrastructure IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 1, 2018
I met with the Director and then went back to meet with the team.
All seemed to be positive.
My Day consisted of checking the ticket queue and giving =a report to my Director and then giving the ticket to the team and I worked on some specially the Office 365.
More than fair with their employees
Financial and Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 5, 2018
NCU gave back to their employees with quarterly team builders, such as outings to go bowling, laser tag, carnival themed activities, prizes, awards, ice cream socials etc.
Pros
Fun and friendly environment
Cons
Cannot roll over unused PTO, use it or lose it
Great Organization Run by Great Leaders
Team Lead of Student and Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 11, 2018
Northcentral University was a solid company to work for. Senior leadership knows what they are doing there and take care of their employees both through compensation and benefits as well as professional and personal progress. Senior leadership leads by example and teaches lower level leaders and their teams how to professionally achieve goals through example and encouraging action.
Fast-paced environment
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 7, 2018
Higher ed is an industry that is constantly changing and NCU is no exception. NCU has a lot of potential and has made a lot of strides in the right direction in recent years from an operational standpoint. Frontline employees and lower-level management are a mixed bag and can be immature at times however, Academic leadership is forward-thinking and supportive. The pay is not as competitive as it should be considering the number of institutions in the Phoenix market but it isn’t horrible. The outlook for the university seems promising if they continue to make improvements to program offerings and operations.
Pros
Birthday celebrations, snack cart, on-site gym and cafe, newly remodeled office space
Cons
High cost of medical insurance, frontline employees can be negative
all about culture
ADOA (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 21, 2018
Too casual about development of staff
Management is about the goals but afraid to clearly set or define them
Very loose and unstructured
Its a high pressure sales environment
Pros
snack cart, ping pong, pool table, can surf web all day
Cons
Goals could be more clearly defined
Higher Education
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 10, 2018
NCU is a great place to work. It is the first Online University that offers doctoral degrees with no physical residency requirements. It has grown leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Inability to work work remotely
Enrollment Specialist
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 29, 2018
Great hours and flexibility depending on what team your on. Good people who are interested in helping students grow with their education. I've learned a lot working for Northcentral University.
All about the money
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 14, 2018
The company is all about getting students through as quickly as possible with pressure on faculty to pass work by deadlines. Most students are constantly worried about "failing" rather than taking their time to learn properly. This could be true of all on-line education providers but seems particularly problematic at NCU.
Pros
benefits, pay.
Cons
work life balance
Laid-back until they aren't
Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 1, 2018
This is a VERY laid-back place to work until they decide not to be. At that time, the management, most of whom have worked together at a previous employer, either places you in the "Let's make them miserable" category or the "Let's reward them for doing nothing" category. Your final experience here is determined by which category you land in.
Pros
LOTS of food! Fun game/mixer room!
Cons
Healthcare benefits are a joke! The culture has multiple personality disorder.
It was pretty okay
Student Finance and Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 30, 2018
You will have job Security as an AFA. Days are long but if you put effort, it works. Just be frank with management and understand that they are under more pressure than you.
Pressure depends on your manager
Admissios Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 21, 2018
Had one of the worst managers I've ever had at this place and one of the best. They have a strange way of discipline that is inconsistent between managers and different for different staff. Confusing. H.R. is not very informative and not a lot of company benefits and morale boosters in place.
Pros
Less pressure than most schools
Cons
Use of phone script and inconsistent rules
Not you average school environment
Academic and Finance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 30, 2018
The metrics are terrible and they are very much micromanagers. There is not enough time in your day to achieve all the goals they want you to achieve. There is too much work.
Worst Job Ever
Academic and Finance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 4, 2018
I came to NCU with no experience in the position and eager to learn. I was told I would train at my own pace with about a month of training and a few months before I would have to be answering cold calls. HOWEVER, I received one week of training and I was given my population of students two weeks after I started and was answering cold calls the next week when I barely knew the job! Needless to say, I left this company fast, would never work there again, and would NOT recommend NCU to anyone.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Stress level, lack of training, lack of support from leadership
Nice place to work
Adjunct Faculty, College of Education (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZFebruary 5, 2018
Nice and stimulating workplace for all. Excellent academic rigor of courses.A competitive work environment or researchers. I will recommend to all to work for Northcentral University.
Pros
Free tutor training
Cons
No negatives
Administration (Current Employee) –  AZJanuary 30, 2018
Some of the employees and upper management are drug-users. The culture is laid-back, but if you want to gain skills for the workplace do not apply here.
Cons
Healthcare is expensive and HDHP