Northeast Kingdom Human Services Employee Reviews

It is a good place to obtain skills for furthering education.
Adult Outpatient Servces (Current Employee) –  St. Johnsbury, VTJune 10, 2019
It is a good place to obtain skills for furthering education. Co-workers are easy to get along with and very helpful. Helping people in a time on need can be very rewarding.
Best job I've ever had.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, VTApril 13, 2019
Very rewarding job experience. Excellent supervisor. I enjoyed working with my clients very much. I was given regular training for my job. My co-workers were very good.
Can be fun place of employment. Stressfull at times.
Residentail staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTMarch 12, 2019
Decent place to work. Must be able to deal with stress and anxiety of patience themselves. Night shift was not bad. Could be room for job growth for rite person.
Pros
Good benifits.
Cons
Pay is not compensery for length of time i was there.
nice people
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Derby, VTJanuary 29, 2019
Great agency to work for. They do what they can for their employees to make their job have as little stress as possible. Great communication between supervisors and support staff.
Nkhs
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTJanuary 9, 2019
Great place to work and great benefits. I like being busy all day long and I definitely was. The hardest part of the job I thought was being thrown into something without training, but I always managed to figure it out. The most enjoyable part of the job is changing lives, I love helping people, big or small.
Pros
adequate breaks
Cons
Not being able to help every one that needs it
Watch your back
SERVICE (CASE) MANAGER (Former Employee) –  CRAWFORD RD NEWPORT VTNovember 24, 2018
Serious watch your back
Best part about nkhs is benefits
Managment ,what mangement not much they do for staff...Do schedules.....
Workplace culture, alw2ays whispers behing your back
Hardest part of job,not ever knowing who to trust
Enjoyable part..Meeting clients and helping them
Benefits
Cons
Mostly in the community/field work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTOctober 10, 2018
Seeing the growth of any individual is the rewarding part of this job. Every day is different, and because of a consumer's disorder, sometimes days are very tough. Communication amongst the office and field workers lacks in efficiency.
Pros
paid sick and vacation time and paid holidays
Cons
emotionally stressful workplace
Enjoyable and a supportive company to work for.
Department Admin Assistant Adult Outpatient (Current Employee) –  Derby, VTAugust 12, 2018
My day changes daily, management is always supporting, culture is good, The hardest part of my job is the clients and how I feel for them, most enjoyable is my co-workers.
Pros
Medical insurance, vacation time, co-workers
Cons
working with clients
For the most part it is a fun nice place to work.
Css (Current Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTFebruary 16, 2018
I love my job for the most part. Most of the people i work I get a long with. We are not in the office much and winter is a hard time to find things to do with our clients. So I am creative in finding places to take them . I is in there care plan to do.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Co works
good place to work
Community Intergration Specialist (Former Employee) –  VT.November 14, 2017
Moved back down to FL. Worked with parolees and the mentally challenged clients, after working about a year and a half went to work in the special needs children unit.
Pros
work as much as you want
Cons
N/a
Official response from Northeast Kingdom Human Services
November 5, 2018

As an employee of 2 years I have seem positive changes; raises, promotions, strategic long term pan to continuously expend to meet the need of the community. IU am very leased with the Leadership team and all of the devoted staff of NKHS. I love my job.

Human Service work is varied.
Shared Living Provider (Current Employee) –  Saint Johnsbury, VTSeptember 20, 2017
There are many different positions at NKHS. Entry level jobs are easy to obtain, but this is not for everyone. One job requires you to use your own vehicle. You have to interact with people with disabilities in a respectful way. The training to do this is lacking, but if you actively ask around for advice you will get the help you need.
Pros
Helpful enviroment, and varied jobs.
Cons
No real breaks for lunch/snack.
Spuervision, space and respect
Therapeutic Case Manager (Former Employee) –  VermontSeptember 7, 2017
The supervisors I encounter were condescending and unsupportive
The spaces to work were very tight
Not enough respect- treated like "just another number"
Terrible management
Residential staff (Former Employee) –  Newport, VTSeptember 1, 2017
At the place I worked the two managers slacked off, didn't do anything to help the employees when they needed it, they would have favorites and then set up the rest of the employees for failure. They didn't appreciate the staff at all even if they would work 24 hours in a row and be expected to stay awake and focused the whole time. No wonder they can't keep anyone long
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no feedback, staff set up for failure
They dont care about the employees
Residential Support Staff (Former Employee) –  St Johnsbury vermontJune 14, 2017
Unproffesional, harassment, name calling, managements late and unresponsive, no training on the consumers, raises only when min wage goes up, turnover rate-everyone sees at some point all i stated then decides to leave. This place, im suprised isnt shut down...but then again everyone at the agency on salary makes bank and covers up the tracks of past employees. More complaints and lawsuites happen here than all the other agencies in vt, oh and mcdonalds staff get paid more. HR does nothing...your lucky to get a call back if you ever call them for help on anything.
Would not recommend it
residential staff (Former Employee) –  Derby, VTMay 23, 2017
Pretty sad state of affairs, the turnover rate for the company overall is phenomenally high. In the specific place that I worked management was already being looked into as to why this was happening. The two managers were conniving and malicious, they set people up for failure by not telling them things and then holding them responsible for it later. They thought they could SAY and do what they wanted to any and all of the employees, yet if you had the fortitude to stick up for yourself, you were gone. I am not sure if this was the overall M.O of the company and they were being made to be that way, or if in fact it really just WAS them. Physical assaults are and can be run of the mill and they refuse to set any accountability standards, they also play favorites as far as clients go. The ones they like DO NO wrong and the ones they dislike are constantly ignored or rallied against. Way it is!
Pros
Great benefits, if they kept anyone long enough to recieve them
Cons
Extremely high turnover, poor management, poor overall work conditions, if you like and respect yourself at all not the place for you
Busy work place
Community Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  St Johnsbury, VtOctober 6, 2015
Lots of physical labor. Worked in all weather conditions. Fast paced and need attention to detail.
I enjoyed the work and did well in the job.
Rewarding position with a flexible schedule
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Derby, VTJanuary 15, 2015
A fast paced work environment coordinating all daily aspects for individuals requiring support.
Job Summary
Community Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  St Johnsbury, VTSeptember 1, 2014
My job is to assist adults with daily living skills and community participation. Some of the adults have different degrees of social interaction and skills needed for daily life. I am responsible for transporting and supporting them with their needs in different settings. I am require to keep daily and monthly logs and be sure that all information is kept strictly confidential. The most rewarding part of my job is being able to watch then grow with the help we offer. I love being able to help them possibly enrich their day to day experiences.
Pros
Insurance available
Cons
Very few raises, low pay scale and no personal recognition or raises
Increasingly rigid and paranoid management culture
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Newport, VTMay 5, 2012
The clinical director of this community mental health service has a decided bias against psychotherapy as it is taught and practiced in mainstream psychology. He not only admits this, but proclaims that psychotherapy is obsolete. He declares in treatment team meetings that the way therapy is taught in academic settings is essentially useless. His argument was that trained therapists become attached to their theories and orientations, and then force clients into their theories. At no time did he display evidence that he could apply this critique to his own orientation, which strictly favors brief therapy to the exclusion of others, despite the fact that our patients were by definition, severely mentally ill. They also had co-occurring substance misuse, severe prolonged PTSD, severe personality disorders, and developmental problems, for all of whom brief therapy has produced the most questionable results in research.

if you are a psychologist or a the therapist who values your relationship with your client as a kind of unique bond, the Management here will actively oppose you. And, any dialogue or even opinion that is contrary to this stance will be not only unwelcome, but forbidden. What I'm saying is not anything implied or suggested; the director simply talks over subordinates when there is risk that another view may be forthcoming.

I had one colleague who had perhaps a Bachelor's degree. She was in Management favor for various reasons, and was apparently instructed at times to dictate the content of my therapy sessions, because her opinion was more consistent with the reigning
  more... team consensus of the week. Therapy was not a sacred relationship between therapist and client then, but something else; therapy by committee, perhaps.

One reason that the culture here is admittedly hostile to psychotherapy is a belief that a unique bond with any client undermines their so-called treatment team approach. I was told that such a bond "held an unfair advantage over" my colleagues, by the clinical director. During these discussions, the wishes of the clients and the notion of informed consent to treatment were never brought up unless I attempted it. This was not allowed. They did not wish to hear that most of our clients actually feared them.

There was in our team meetings never any discussion permitted as to how to reconcile this formal opposition to the therapeutic relationship with the central ethical principle of the American Psychological Association, which holds "paramount consideration given to the welfare of the patient or client" in decisions about our relationship, as they were dictated by Management.

Relationships with my clients were abruptly disrupted by circumstances of an illness I had, but then later by Management after they became more and more suspicious of my success with clients. In neither case was I permitted to repair any of these abrupt terminations, or to provide recommendations or referrals for them.

I have yet to find a single practitioner in my community outside of this organization who has anything very positive to say regarding the management of this mental health division. Rather, I hear, "Oh, they have such a bad reputation."

This is unfortunate, because aside from management personnel, most of the workers there are absolutely dedicated and faithful to the welfare of those they serve. They are among the reasons I tried so hard to reconcile my ethical concerns with the atmosphere there. After I was able to leave my post there, I almost instantly had a shift of perspective that allowed me to comprehend the enormous pressure to conform to standards that favor increasingly corporate, increasingly managed goals, over the humble desires and sufferings of their clientele.

Management values at this mental health center reflect how easy it is for people with a little power to fall in love with themselves and the organizational tendency toward quantifying human relationships, which I believe is a symptom of the fundamental darkness of corporate rule.
Pros
co-workers, their dedication, clients, their appreciation and respect
Cons
i think i covered this below

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northeast Kingdom Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Northeast Kingdom Human Services Reviews by Location