Northeastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Not a terrible place to work
Student Blogger (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
I worked here while I was a student so I obviously didn't get the same benefits as normal employees. However the work environment was always pleasant.
Avoid
n/a (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2018
The state has put this university on crisis mode. Poor administration has allowed for the directors and high level vps to receive far too much compensation while there is an extremely high turn over rate among the rank and file due to lack of pay and training.
Typical day
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
Being a library assistant is not a job for everyone, it can be boring and tedious work. The library was too quite while working in the office and when you were trying to work outside with the periodicals, students would look distracted to the slightest noise.
Excellent work envirnment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2018
Excellent work environment, I enjoyed the culture of working in an academic environment. Friendly and supportive staff interested in your needs and how to help you further yourself.
Productive and comfortable workplace
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2018
Working at Northeastern Illinois University feels like home. We treat each other as a family but also with professionalism. The most challenging part of my job is understanding the different personalities of our members and using the marketing strategy that could draw them.
Northeastern Illinois University
Front desk, Crew member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2018
It is a great school to attend if you are not looking for a very expensive education. Work is good laid back. Work can get busy during evening hours. You will also be able to meet new people on the shift. Foreign exchange students make the work environment fun something to look forward to if you are interested in foreigners or different cultures.
My feelings on the employer
Creative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2018
Northeastern is a complex employer of diverse and talented people. The lack of senior leadership for important initiatives and the persistent annoyance of inadequate or defunct policies and equipment creates persistent challenges.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2018
As far as the assistant positions go, if you're a student you can't beat the free semester tuition. If this is offered to you, take it, it's that simple.
Overall good experience but lacks job security
OFFICE MANAGER/OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2018
Excellent work environment that was a fun place to work and would love to work here again if an opportunity arises. Worked for an amazing manager who was a great leader. My department and faculty and colleagues were wonderful and truly appreciated my work ethics and performance.
work while at school
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2017
really good place to work while at school. can become tedious but I learned some new things about customer care and the ins and outs of how a university works.
Ecercise
Physical Education Instructor/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2017
• Maintain athletic supply inventory and requisition new sporting goods as needed
• Communicate with parents through parent-teacher conferences and address student issues when needed
• Analyze student progress and attempts and grade accordingly as required by district curriculum
I had a lot of teaching experience
Visiting Lecturer, f/t (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
I taught many interesting courses in the area of Math, Physics, including advance courses< and Astronomy.
It is a good workplace. I had benefits also due to a full time position.

Currently I have been teaching in the Math Department at Phoenix College since Jan 2014 as a part time faculty.
Fun
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2017
Good environment to work in and great people to work with each day. It can be fast-paced but it is manageable after you learn the roes for each position.
Best Job Ever
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
paid travel and unlimited sick and vacation time. We get to pick what area we work in. We have our office building away from main campus. Great place to work!!!!
good education and working environment
Work-Study Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
good wokring envrionment, that has thoguh me to manage my time, muslti task, network and work deligently in a professional environment. i have really enjoy wokring there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short amount oh hours and low pay
I taught Writing I and II
Adjunct Instructor - English (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
I taught Writing I and II at the college to a diverse group of students.
It was a great opportunity and quite rewarding. I prepared lesson plans, and taught the class.
Pros
Good students and faculty
Cons
No enough classes to teach
Multitask acctivities
GEAR UP Parent/Student Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2017
• Deliver presentations during meetings of the Roosevelt Parent Advisory Council, the Roosevelt Bilingual Advisory Committee, and the regional bilingual meetings facilitated by Chicago Public Schools.

• Deliver bilingual workshops for parents on a range of topics to raise their awareness about high school graduation requirements, how GPA is calculated, the importance of taking rigorous classes, and the steps that are necessary to prepare for college.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of communication
An indifferent culture!
LECTURER, POLITICAL SCIENCE & HISTORY (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2017
No-one really cares! Unless you are full-time faculty, advancement prospects are nonexistent. No job security at all. Course assignments for adjuncts are subject to the whims of the department chair. Senior-level administration is in a world of its own. Constant infighting between FT faculty and adminstration. NO input from PT faculty in any decision making.
A fantastic place to build of your career foundation and possible advancement
TRIO Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2017
Excellent coaching staff members who maintain an open-door policy. Very relax atmosphere with help always around the corner from any of the available supervisors.
Pros
friendly place to work
Cons
short hours
Extremely educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
My experience working for the Vice President of Student Affairs was one of my greatest work experiences. It prepared me for higher educational and the great possibilities higher education can bring.
Pros
Great experiences to learn and train other students.
Cons
Extremely fast paced.