Northeastern State University Employee Reviews

Good Place to work, unfortunately the pay is low.
IT Office Coordinator and Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OK 74464April 23, 2019
Pros and Cons depend on which department you work in each department has there own culture. My biggest issue is the low pay and the high cost of benefits for our families.
The whole staff is so welcoming. They answer questions, they communicate well.
Access Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 16, 2019
Usually a typical day consists of checking in and out books and movies, shelving books, and stuff like that. I also take calls and messages for the supervisors and others and even help people with computers.
Great benefits at NSU
Facilities Assistant Director of Custodial (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 16, 2019
My day begins at 5:00 am every day through the week. I have learned a lot since my employment at NSU. I am currently in a management position.The hardest part is having to terminate someone who has been with the university for a long period of time. You get to meet a lot of different people. I really enjoy training new employees especially when it comes to stripping the floors so they can see the before and after work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary
Great atmosphere
student (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 15, 2019
All the employees are so helpful with their students and being advocates for their success in college. The atmosphere within itself is a great place to attend college!
Good
Clinical Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 11, 2019
Good place to work. Friendly staff, good work hours, and paid time off. Easy to work for and worked well with my children. The orientation process is a little extensive, other than that thumbs up!
The Muskogee campus is a wonderful, family-oriented place
Physician Assistant Studies Program (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OK 74401April 8, 2019
While a good place to work, the salaries are so poor that often people are drawn to other places. I believe the retention of faculty and staff would be a great deal higher with reasonable salaries.
Pros
Lots of vacation and holiday time
Cons
terrible wages
NSU is a great place to work
Executive Director, International Programs (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMarch 29, 2019
NSU is a great place to work. The university prides itself on its strategic plan and all departments work toward accomplishing the strategic goals.

The days are busy, but it teaches you how to balance. The hardest part of the job is working with the state regulations which can be restrictive, but it forces you to get more creative and find ways to make the regulations work for you and your department. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students and other employees. Also, the campus is beautiful and has a strong connection to the community.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great working culture and friendly staff
Cons
Located in a poorer part of the state and state funding is low
Excellent opportunities for new professors
Medical Director - NSU Physician Assistant Program (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OKMarch 26, 2019
I am only part-time, so may not offer as much insight but it has been a fun work environment. I don't have benefits given part-time work. NSU is committed to their mission for our program.
Fun experience
STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMarch 15, 2019
It allowed me to experience a whole new side to my education and social growth. It has been a long time dream to earn my bachelors and to obtain a successful career with that degree.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Didnt allow for a lot of family time
Work Experience in Biology while obtaining my degree
Research /Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMarch 2, 2019
This is an undergraduate student worker job at Northeastern State University. I enjoy learning and conducting experiments in the lab that go towards our scientific question. My colleague and I are able to think critically toward our halophile research, conduct our experiments and have mentors/Professors that are always available for help (if needed). A typical day is conducting multiple different experiments toward our scientific method and question. Twice a year we are able to travel and show our scientific findings via Scientific Poster (poster views available on LinkedIn account).
Pros
Gives me experience while still obtaining my degree
Cons
Is a student worker job- no benefits
Very good place to work
Chief of Police (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKFebruary 9, 2019
Enjoyed the ten years working for the university. The President was very supportive. We worked with a lot of good people and students. Worked and trained a lot of good police officers. It seemed like a training facility for police officers. The pay was low, after we got the officers trained and certified, they work move on to a better paying position.
Pros
Great group of people
Cons
Low pay, high turnover rate
Fun and relaxed workspace with fun coworkers
Student Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKDecember 2, 2018
Everyone in my old workspace was super nice and loved to have fun and mess around. Working together was incredibly easy with such good colleagues. If I still lived in the area then I would probably still work there.
Pros
Free tech repair and advice
Cons
Job status is very fragile
Student Life
Model (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKNovember 28, 2018
NSU is a very good university to attend. There are plenty of good and qualified professors. They are all very welcoming and helpful. The school is fairly small but that helps you to communicate people at a more deeper level. The town is small and therefore for the most part many student leave during Holidays. There are plenty of things to do around town if you can be creative.
Great place to work for amazing healthcare not salary
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKNovember 5, 2018
NSU is a great place to work at for the benefits, however employee moral is low. I know employees who have been here 10+ years and have not received a raise and will not receive one. Employees who work the hardest are the most overworked and underpaid. They do not promote from within. Your best bet for a raise or promotion is to apply to other departments.
Pros
Healthcare 100% paid for, excellent vacation & personal leave, plus all school holiday breaks
Cons
Will not receive raises, will be voluntold to work events after hours
Not supportive of staff
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKNovember 4, 2018
Upper management was not strong in their field and didn't offer much guidance or direction.
The workplace culture was very poor.
For the most part the staff attitudes were bad because staff were treated badly and not respected.
An average day for myself was more enjoyable than most because I was able to self direct my tasks more. The most enjoyable part was the staff I oversaw, he had a great attitude and years of experience at the college.
Pros
reduced college rates
Cons
No chance of advancement
yeah
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  OklahomaOctober 15, 2018
I really hate filling out these things when you are trying to do something else. Why do you have to fill out these stupid things. It shouldn't be part of the application process.
Great place, but difficult enviornemnt
University Advisor (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKSeptember 30, 2018
Experienced management is lacking, creating a difficult environment for positive employees attempting to complete work and excel. Creativity was often stifled, but there were a number of caring and professional staff members.
NSU was a great environment.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKSeptember 12, 2018
.I was an adjunct instructor at Northeastern State University. I taught a couple of classes a semester. The load was light, but I was teaching full-time at TPS, and needed to concentrate on the full-time gig.
Good Regional University
Director of Communications and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKSeptember 1, 2018
Good Regional University for music and performing arts and students wanting smaller class sizes and closer networking opportunities among fellow classmates.
Loved the students, not so much the management
Professor (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJuly 27, 2018
I loved teaching and working with the students. Management had requirements for work which weren't communicated at all to their employees. The available documentation for the requirements was ambiguous and open to interpretation by the management.