Northeastern University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
The Adjunct Trap
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 18, 2018
While having income is essential to getting by, working as an adjunct at Northeastern was simply not enough to survive in Boston. Room for improvement here.
Fun
PROFESSOR OF SOUND DESIGN (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2018
I was able to teach two semesters of Sound Design. Very rewarding. Awesome students. Great facilities (the food court has a Popeyes!!!) Wish I'd been able to design a full curriculum though!
Northeast has great people to work with and to also help you on your long life turn
Columbus Garage (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJuly 11, 2018
I will be talking to the customers all day helping them get where they need to to get.outside also watching for the crosswalk when cars are leaving plus
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Ok breaks
Great insight on the broadness that IT displays
ITS Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2018
Gained plenty of experience troubleshooting desktops, laptops and printers. Ran images across campus computers to old and new machines. As well as doing port checks on devices that appeared not to be under DHCP (campus protocol)
North Eastern had the best educational benefits.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2018
North Eastern is a great place to work the EDUCATION tuition free benefit in the evening school the best benefit anyone could seek.
Great people from all over the world .
Awesome phys ed facilities and swimming pools and in door track and great library.
Location: NU located in probably the best city in America.
Pros
Best atmosphere and education benefit anywhere.
Cons
I have nothing bad to say ..work is work be grateful.
Great Job
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2018
I worked first as a game room attendant in a work-study position. I eventually was promoted and started work as building manager while occasionally filling in from time to time in the game room. I really enjoyed setting up audio-visual equipment for different conferences and meeting that took place in the building.
Tough to promote
Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 26, 2018
Typical day at work was very different, depending on classes or bookings for the day. I ran an audio and video studio that was open to everyone on campus to use. We would mic drums, guitars and singers. We would record and mix in pro-tools, and we would engineer if asked. Our video side consisted a lot of distant education faculty, so record them edit there video, and put onto blackboard.

I learned a lot of new software, and project management skills. The management was very loose because we were such a small department.

Workplace culture was relaxed and lots of face to face interactions with student and faculty. The enjoyable part of the job were the relationships I built with students and faculty.
Pros
working in a studio
Cons
poor management
Diverse student body and culure
Literacy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2018
A typical day at work involves greeting international students and working w. them by appointment in any reading, writing, listening, or speaking capacity. I learned to work with an older, diverse student body; the management is quite receptive to our suggestions so it's a collaborative, team spirit culture in the Lab. The hardest part of the job may be understanding different cultures feelings and emotions; the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting a huge array of diverse cultures, working with highly educated supervisors and management, and being praised for any contributions.
Pros
stress-free and autonomous
Cons
no benefits or raises for longevity or merit
Nice environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2018
Excellent resourceful university with helpful faculty and diverse students. Would recommend to join and good courses offered. Very dynamic institution.
Grossly underpaid for the living expenses in Boston
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2018
I worked at one of the Northeastern labs as a Postdoctoral researcher for about two years. While working after hours was completely expected, the annual salary was hardly enough to encourage the lack of work/life balance.
Pros
Great place for networking and being in touch with other academics
Cons
Low pay, non existing work/life balance
Productive Place to Work
Application Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2018
If you are interested in advancing your career and taking graduate classes, Northeastern is the place for you. They offer very good graduate classes and all for free.
Interesting and supportive
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2018
People are great to work with. Great position for entry levels, such as students or people fresh-out of college. Relaxed and collaborative environment.
Great benefits. Low advancement opportunity
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 24, 2018
I loved the benefits there. Better than a number of other univerities. Too much separation between departments as we were spread out amongst the campus buildings
Good People
San Jose - Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAMay 17, 2018
Everyone is here has the "get-it-done" mentality on. So if you like the startup culture but under a brand name company, then this is a good place to be.
Good Place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2018
Supportive Supervisors. Comfortably paced work environment. Cordial people and great incentive to work hard and sufficient reward the work that was done
A true campus in the middle of Boston
Academic Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2018
A beautiful campus in the middle of Boston. Students are engaged and very driven. Links learning and practical application for the students. A place that allows for free thought and collaboration.
Ta
Senior Assistant Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2018
I worked as a TA for a lab course during my studies. Lab manager is extremely helpful especially when dealing with behavioral issues. I was given enough independence to make my own decision but still had enough guidance when I had questions.
Productive and fun place to work
Department of Energy and Sustainability Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 10, 2018
I have enjoyed working at Northeastern University. I just graduated and that is why I am no longer employed at Northeastern. I was working as a part-time student.
Productive workplace
UI Designer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2018
The team of faculty and researchers were friendly and accessible. They always prompt in responding to students' questions, and they were open to new ideas.
Pros
Flexible hours
Nice place to work
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, Mass.May 1, 2018
Nice culture and atmosphere, tuition assistance, and good benefits. Also, very generous with vacation and sick time. Senior leadership is capable and innovative.
Pros
Interesting work, nice culture, decent benefits and time off
Cons
Not enough upward mobility in some positions