Northern Illinois Food Bank Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Good Place
SNAP Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Park City, ILMay 23, 2018
The position I was in was good for that time period in my life because it was flexible allowing me to attend school full time. I did not like the traveling involved because I had to use my own car. The company makes enough money to provide cars for outreach workers to drive and they should.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Main Office location
good job
Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 13, 2018
interesting and good management, friendly people and pleasant working environment. i enjoyed working here very much and being able to help the community was a plus.
A place to work that has a mission.
Customer Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMay 8, 2018
Northern Illinois Food Bank strives to bridge the hunger gap for those in need in the counties in which it serves.
It is an awesome place for those that understand that the work is mission centered.
Pros
An awesome place with great people.
Cons
Salary - it's non-profit and not competitive to other organizations.
Okay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 9, 2018
It's cool what the cause is for. It's nice to give back to the community and be part of something bigger than yourself. However, it can get a bit mundane
Overall good company with continuous growing pains
Child Nutrition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILFebruary 27, 2018
Northern Illinois Food Bank is an ever expanding food bank that offers a somewhat reasonable atmosphere to work in, but unfortunately due to said expansion, ever increasing workloads and subpar pay it is, at times, incredibly stressful to work there. The coworkers are very friendly, for the most part.
Okay experience
Volunteer in Service to America (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILOctober 28, 2017
This was an AmeriCorps VISTA job/Job still lacks the meaning of the AmeriCorps VISTA program. The manager I had was awesome and totally understood the VISTA program.
Great place to work!
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILOctober 24, 2017
great place to work, the management was very engaged in the day to day activities. I felt that tehy generally cared for my well being and they wanted me to succeed
Most amazing place to work!
Skills Based Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMay 22, 2017
I loved working at the Northern Illinois Food Bank! Such good people work there and it felt so awesome knowing I was making a difference. I can't say enough good things about the NIFB!
Excellent group to work for advancement potential high
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 23, 2017
Overall a great group of people and a simply excellent non-profit. 5 stars all the way. I have enjoyed learning from this exemplary group of people who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience with everyone who works there. Most enjoyable are the meeting people, diversity, and events. Hardest part is having the energy and stamina to keep it going despite lots of time and energy spent planning!
Pros
Great perks, food, awesome events, lovely people
Cons
Long hours, low compensation- is this a con?
Review Summary
Volunteer Coordinator Americorps Vista (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMarch 15, 2017
Your Review-Give us your opinion about a typical day at work. What you learned. Management. Workplace Culture. The hardest part of the job. The most Enjoyable part of the Job.
great place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 12, 2016
this place was a great place to work while in school. I worked here over the summer between school years and learned organization as well as how to work well with customers. It's a great experience that teaches the people skills needed to get ahead in your career.
Northern Illinois Food Bank cares about workers and community
AmeriCorps VISTA, Capacity Building Consultant (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJune 1, 2016
The enthusiasm for helping others is palpable throughout the offices of the Northern Illinois Food Bank. It's easy to feed off of the positive atmosphere, and the result is that most employees love going to work every day.
Pros
you're helping the community, departments are eager to help one another out, company fundraisers are always fun, opportunities to advance, opportunities to work from home
Cons
it can be difficult to "leave work at work"
Passion and Productive Workplace
Capacity Building Consultant (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILAugust 6, 2015
I found the work place constantly buzzing with exciting energy to make a change in the lives of millions of Americans. Everyone was kind and willing to collaborate by having multiple brainstorming work groups. Individuals shared there work for others to utilize. The president keep the mission in view while helping to achieve it.
Good Place to Work
Assistant for Nutrition and Network Partners (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMay 26, 2015
Great understanding of work/life balance; CEO is always positive and a good representative of the mission. Pay could be better, but such is the case in many nonprofits.
Very rewarding, Non for Profit
Logistic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILJuly 5, 2013
I was a part of Northern when we were growing toward Second Harvest , we were going to be big in distribution for the mission of Ending world Hunger. Very rewarding Job
Pros
Great People to work for
Cons
Did not pay much
Friendly Envirement
Shift Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILApril 9, 2013
Good experience
I learned more organizational skills
Management was friendly
Co-workers were co-operative
The hardest part of the job was people always around not at the same pace.
Themost enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and making a difference.