Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Fun place
Working here was fun, but it was just an internship for me to get my degree, but I did appreciate the challenging experience that I received at NIU. I would love to go back!
Professors Are People
My professor I did research with was a completely different environment than when taking a normal lecture course. It is an opportunity to grasp more knowledge one on one.
state job
good state job.
All depends on the department. Most coworkers and other employees love the jobs they are in. Most are very happy. Normal work environment.
Consistent Schedule
What was great about working here was that your schedule stayed consistent and you only had to work every other weekend. What I didn't like was the pay becuase it sometimes wasn't enough for me to pay my bills (rent, utilities, etc.) but other than that the enviornment was good and the people were friendly.
Pros
free lunches
The people are nice but not Very competitive pay wise
The university has a lot of non ministry benefits such as tuition reimbursement, the positions themselves are protected by state regulations, so there is a lot of job security in any given full time position. However, the work load is insane, the work life balance is awful, the pay is pathetic, and honestly the working environment requires making allies and back stabbing your way to the top to succeed
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
A good company that is the backbone of our town
A great place to work and an overall positive experience. The only thing that is lacking is room for advancement if your part time and some odd rules on hours. Otherwise its great.
good place to work. good people
Worked there for awhile before getting hurt. had issues with an temp help employee in the beginning which lead to several altercations between him and I including him throwing a tool at me.
Good place to start a career
It is a great place to start a career, however the opportunities for advancement, higher wages, compensation are very few and far between. The benefits such as medical, paid time off, FMLA and tuition are great, but overall salary, is quite low.
Typical University position
This is a typical university position. RA's will be overworked and underpaid but the work is typically something that you are passionate about. So, there's that. The advisor is typically someone that you've worked with before, so you know what you're getting yourself into.
Fun
Great atmosphere! Fun to cater corporate events or sporting events.
Football catering at Stadium, very fast paced.

Learned a lot about working with Not-for profit groups.
Easy
It's a laid back position with a laid back boss. Everyone on duty always gets along easy and it creates a comfortable environment to work in no matter the season.
What you give is what you get
A highly respected public university that i would highly recommend and is a legacy in my family. I have great respect for what the university does and gives for its students
Good Benefits
A typical day at work is cleaning rooms and setting up tables and chairs.
I have learned how to clean properly and use cleaning machines.

Management uses all people efficiently.

The hardest part of the job is physically staying ahead of you job.

It is a pleasure seeing the job you have accomplished and knowing that people are in a cleaner environment.
Workplace appears to be geared towards monolithic thinking,
Challenging environment, with supervisor assistance. Freedom to add activities to the curriculum to add substance to the classroom. The environment is sustained with a continuous research background, but independent thinking appears to be absent, during many instances.
full time student
great organizations to join for students and they offer many opportunities to get plugged in while you are involved on the campus. I enjoyed all the various student clubs that they had.
Maybe things will get better?
I worked at NIU for ten years. Did not get a raise the last seven. Property taxes still went up. Taxes on gas and utilities still went up. Quality of life was definitely not good in IL or at NIU.
Looks Good
Where I worked in material management as a route driver was an excellent place to work. It helps when you have a good Supervisor and boss who are fair and understanding.The wages were fair and the people I worked with in the mail room we're top notch and also the mail room supervisor was a big help.
Can learn a lot of managing skills
My work gives me a lot of experience on how to manage in peak situations and how to lead a team in different situations. I learned to have patience and communicating skills.
Underpaid with insufficient resources
An office that started with five staff now carries the same responsibilities between three. Cuts are being made consistently across campus, as this school does not value staff.

Administrative staff are the lowest paid among university office workers across the state.

Hardest part of the job is making do with limited resources and assistance.

Most enjoyable part would be going the extra mile for students and making someone's day.
Secure Position; Low Pay
I left NIU ten years ago. Don’t know what it is like now. When I was there, who you knew mattered more than what you knew. My boss was excellent. She has progressed in her career and is still at NIU. DeKalb is a small town, and other than jobs at NIU, opportunities are few. When people get a job there, they stay forever.
Pros
Four day work week during summer.
Cons
Low pay!
Productive and fun place to work.
I assisted student organizations in reserving rooms for their events ensuring they obtain the correct space for said event.Along with that, I also assisted my supervisor in completed task she assigned me to make her work less stressful.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Northern Illinois University Reviews by Location