Northern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Best Place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 3, 2018
It was amazing to work at NIU, being a student i was given assistanschipp and thats a great oppurtunity to work and study parallel. this oppurtunity gave a good start
Great student job
Technical Supervisor Computer Labs (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 30, 2018
This was a student job working in the Academic Computer Operations computer labs. I started out as a lab attendant working between 2 labs before taking over as a computer lab Technical Supervisor in charge of keeping all the computers and printers functional.

The job was fairly relaxing, allowed enough freedom to get homework and papers done if you are decent at multi-tasking.

Management was friendly and flexible as long as you respected them and the computer labs.
Pros
Relaxed, on campus, no saturday hours.
Cons
Short breaks
Trip Leader
Trip Leader/ Team Facilitator (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2018
As a trip leader and team facilitator my role at NIU was mainly as temporary work with the Outdoor Adventure center and not indicative of all staff positions.
Good Job
Tour Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2018
I enjoyed this job because it wasn't too intimidating to go into as my first job in college. My boss was very understanding and worked around class schedules.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not many hours
Productive, consistent and hardworking
Graduate Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 29, 2018
The Northern Illinois sports performance department is filled with dedicated hard working strength coaches who have the student athletes best interest at heart.
The Students kept me encouraged
Bursar Counselor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 13, 2018
It was inspiring to watch the students reach there educational goals, I was proud of the people I helped graduate each year. The gratefulness the had for my efforts in helping them acheive their educatinal goals made it all worthwhile.
Pros
free higher education offered
Cons
no union
Nice Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Great environment to work as a college student. Managerial staff are very flexible when working with students schedules. Not too demanding and great atmosphere.
Flexible work schedule, low-key, independent assignment completion
Office Support Specialist (Dept of COMS) (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 19, 2018
I typically work independently from the rest of the people in my department, and am not consistently micromanaged (though it happens on occasion). I receive/complete requests/complaints on basic office needs (copies, copier issues/assistance, need for scans, emails, etc.). I communicate and check in with my immediate supervisor and the faculty person I directly assist at least a few times a week. I typically have the freedom to complete my work assignments independently, so long as the deadlines are met, and the work is done properly and completely (with as few errors as possible). I'm mostly left to my own time-management. Breaks are on my own to manage, lunch is typically from 12-1, but can be flexible, if need be. Time reporting is strict (no more than 7.5 hours/day, 37.5 hours/week, as contracted for employment), but direct manager is able/willing to work with/receive changes in scheduling requests, as necessary (for making up time, using personal time, etc.). I also receive/complete individual research requests, as necessary, per my faculty director's departmental requirements. I've learned that independence (lack of micro-managing) is rare and a good thing, and to be appreciated when it is found. I also appreciate the concise directions given by my faculty supervisor, and the open-door availability of my direct supervisor. Co-workers in this department (as opposed to previous) are friendly and welcoming. Hardest part of the job is maintaining positivity when it comes to the solitude (you will rarely see people), and self-discipline, given the amount of freedom.  more... The biggest drawback to the position is the low pay (and the benefits are not all that supportive). The independence and lack of micro-management is the biggest plus, along with having a relatively personal space, aside from it being an office open to the public.  less
Pros
Independence, not micro-managed, flexible (to a point) work schedule, not-difficult but large assignments, personal office space, known expectations
Cons
Isolation, low pay, public office space
Excellent!
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Most friendly, engaging and enlightening team to work with. The team supports you and encourages new initiatives which are an advantage to faculty and students.
Decent place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Worked at NIU over 20 years ago. Only making this statement to try to get a job thru Indeed now. At the time, NIU had really good benefits, they probably still do.
Very busy place to work.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  DeKalb County, ILFebruary 8, 2018
Very very busy, always on the go, it was a job that reqired me to keep up on everything I had to do. I had to keep everything cleaned up so the cooks and kitchen staff had what they needed. I learned if you fell behind you were behind the rest of the day. I worked with many managers throughout the years, some were enjoyable to work with and some weren't, some knew there job well but others didn't, all around it was enjoyable and interesting both. As far as the workplace culture, it changed a lot through the years, sometimes good and sometimes not. The hardest part of the job was when other coworkers could not make it into work and you had to do your work plus theirs if management could not find a replacement for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was some of the good customers I had and some of the friends I made at work.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits
Cons
long driving time to work especially during winter months
Not a place I would recommend
IT Coordinator / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 4, 2018
The technology side of Northern is exceptional. The University itself and it's attitude towards it employees is terrible.Unfortunately because you work for the State of Illinois there is always a budget crisis, the first to suffer are the workers. Went 8 years with no pay increase.
Autonomy
Instructor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 3, 2018
As an instructor, my superiors are mostly concerned on how I improve teaching math to students. The higher-up takes the side of the instructor in most cases.
benefits
Cons
pay
Awesome
Information and Data Management Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 29, 2018
It is an amazing place to work. Students are given better opportunities here while they study. A lot of research options and tuition waivers will motivate students, even more, to study and work for Northern Illinois University.
Government Studies
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 22, 2018
They were always great to me in any of my life circumstances. I was hired back 2 times after I relocated and returned to town. Though its only part time and no benifits was a good environment.
Data Entry Operator
Data Entry Operator I (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 18, 2018
We first worked on machines that did cards. That was very loud. Then I worked on the newer keypunch machines that were recorded on tape. I did Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, etc.
Pros
It was a very friendly environemtn
Cons
No room for advancement.
Nice Workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 18, 2018
As Teaching Assistant I have to interact with students to clarify their doubts from which one can learn new things. We can ask professors if we have any doubts in related subject.
Great work experience
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 9, 2018
This job taught me how to do things in an efficient manner. We had to go to several buildings on campus during the time we were there for the day and make sure everything was fixed and up to code.
Pros
Met great people
Student teaching
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJanuary 8, 2018
I thought they did a great job at setting me up with a student teaching position. I understand that it can be a challenge to get everyone a good classroom placement but they were able to find a spot for anyone.
was a job to help make ends meet
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 29, 2017
It was an ok place to work.The work was easy except when I had move chairs,that became repetitive but it had to be done.I didn't really learn much since I was there to clean