Northern Michigan University Employee Reviews

Great learning opportunity
Theater Technician (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 8, 2019
I learned an incredible amount about theater operations and what really goes into making a show. Employees are encouraged to learn all facets of the industry with aide from experienced faculty members
Cleaning
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 30, 2019
A typical day at work was vacuuming, sweeping up the floors and wiping down surfaces. There were days we had to work quickly to get everything done and others where we could go at a sails pace, it really just depended on the day.
Does not pay enough money to live in Marquette
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  English departmentApril 24, 2019
NMU does not pay its staff a liveable wage. Instructors are expected to participate in teaching enrichment classes without the expectation of benefits, job stability, or fair working wages. I would never recommend working at the University to another person.
Great
Campus Visit Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIMarch 28, 2019
Amazing team, and a great place to work. If you are an outgoing individual who enjoys a fun work environment, this is the correct job for you. Go cats!
Great Place to Work
Career Services Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIMarch 14, 2019
I love this job, and everyone I work with. It is great to interact with students and help find them jobs and help them when I can. It is a very fun , laid back place to work as well.
Pros
People
Fun workplace
Custodial Staff/ Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHFebruary 22, 2019
RELAXED JOB,Clean dorm rooms, and laundry room for a clean living environment Assist with plumbing, electrical resulting in an 8 hour work order reply.
Pros
Fun
Cons
same work everyday
Student Work
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIFebruary 11, 2019
Best job to get for students that want to help out and get some money out of it. Management is great they understand if you are going through something or something family related happened.
Lie to temps.
Grounds Crew temp (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIFebruary 8, 2019
They lie to your face. I was hired as a temp on grounds Dept and told if I worked hard it would be permanent. They lied. No benefits for temps. Still had to pay union dues. Back stabbing coworkers. Con artist mgr. Run away .... Fast
Pros
Cons
They lie to grounds Dept temps. Awful company. Terrible
Not a great place to work as a non-traditional student
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 6, 2019
Ultra-liberal in the extreme. Have to watch everything you say, or you can be accused of being hostile to the culture of NMU. It's quite patently ridiculous.
Pros
Management is usually very good.
Cons
Atmosphere and work culture is atrocious and smothering
Northern was fine
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIDecember 27, 2018
This was another job to help cover the expenses of life and be able to get married. I loved who I was working with and what I was doing but I don't know how much of that is Northeen's doing specifically
Great to work for
CPhT (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIDecember 12, 2018
Great place to work. Family first attitude. Opportunities to advance/ move up. Continuing education is always offered. Positive & professional environment.
Taught me the basis for my career
Athletic Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIDecember 10, 2018
Taught me how to work in a fast passed athletic department at both the division 1 and division 2 level. Learned how to develop graphics within brand standards. A very laid back environment as long as everything is completed for sporting events.
Fun place to work!
Cashier/Server WildCat (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 26, 2018
Great place to work at while you're in college! Managers were usually pretty nice. They work with your school and life schedule pretty well too. Only issue for me was wanting more pay.
Pros
Easy work, decent pay per hour, great managers
Cons
Hard to get pay raises
Excellent Electrical Engineering Professors!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 11, 2018
Great place to work and learn at the same time! I would recommend anyone to become a teacher assistant if they have the time! Great way to get to know your professors one-on-one!
Interesting work
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MISeptember 26, 2018
Productive and enjoyable relaxed atmosphere to work in. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers. It is a place that promotes from within also. No pressure from management.
Pros
Good people to work around, good benefit package.
Great retirement
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  UP Area Health Education CenterAugust 30, 2018
Most other careers did not match at the rate NMU matches. Unions are very well supported. It is difficult to move into a position held by a different union and many shifts in employees takes place before it is open to a different union level.
A fantastic opportunity to better the local community
College Political Party Communications Director (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 20, 2018
My time with Northern Michigan University as a Resident Adviser was an excellent opportunity to help with the betterment of the university community through open dialogue, promoting teamwork, respecting confidentiality, providing a safe learning environment and plenty of leadership and volunteer opportunities.
Experience filled and unpredictable
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 23, 2018
Working for Northern as an NMU student was a blast. All of the faculty and staff are extremely supportive and polite. They remember that you're a student first and an employee second.
productive and flexible work structure
Stock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MarquetteJuly 23, 2018
Northern Michigan University Marketplace main objective, as part of the university's dining service, is to feed the student with a meal plan. And my function as the marketplace stock supervisor is to ensure that the cooks are supplied with the materials that they need.

During my time as a supervisor, I learned how to increase production, and decrease waste. While maintaining a flexible schedule for the student workers within the department.
Pros
subsidized meal(plan)
Cons
pay difference between supervisor and worker $0.25 per hour
Good way to make some money while being a student.
Computer Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 18, 2018
Being a tutor involved a lot of waiting for someone to come in with a problem or ask for clarification on certain things related to programming.

Usually I would see someone everyday, particularly from people just starting to program and need some guidance to understand what it is they are doing or way certain programming practices make life easier in the long run.

The most important skill to have as a tutor is patience. Everyone learns skills at a different pace, and some students would not be capable of picking up concepts as quickly as would be ideal at times, but getting frustrated only makes the situation worse. This also means you can't coddle the person your tutoring or do the work for them. You have to keep breaking things down and wait for the gears in their head to start turning.

The best part is that even if you are getting few, or no, students coming in for help you are still getting paid. Meaning that if nobody needs your help you have the free time to work on your own homework or other tasks so long as you stay in the lab for people to find you. And if all your work is done: sit back, relax, and collect a pay check.

This is also an excellent way to refine your own programming ability. While being able to complete a task yourself being able to explain a concept or how to program something to somebody else really enhances your understanding of a concept far beyond simply absorbing the information and keeping it to yourself.
Pros
Relaxed environment, gain better understanding of skills you already know.
Cons
Few hours