Northern Pines Mental Health Center Employee Reviews

ALWAYS in a state of transition
Mental Health Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJuly 2, 2019
Too many changes are continually forced on the employees with an impossible standard to meet. The learning curve is always steep, as the goals post is in a constant state of flux. Few things, if any, are clearly defined and well trained prior to other issues being changed or introduced.
Enjoyable Place
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Todd County, MNJuly 2, 2019
I would be lying if I didn’t say that Northern Pines isn’t experiencing some transition and difficulties. They are actively taking steps to improve overall workplace wellness, overall workplace communication, and workplace support. Northern Pines has great, friendly staff who are passionate in their positions. Northern Pines is capable of becoming a great company; but that requires the transition and some discomfort. You have to be willing to wade through it. I’d recommend this company to just about anyone.
Pros
Friendly work environment, improving supervision, improving accountability, competitive pay for the area
Cons
Staff turnover is high
Lots of changes, great people
MHP (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJuly 2, 2019
This last year or so has been hard with all the changes in systems at the agency--new system for mileage and new electronic records system. I think we are moving in the right direction but it doesn't make it any less difficult to be adjusting and correcting things. The staff here are wonderful and I look forward to seeing the continued growth at the agency. I really enjoy my role in the agency and the people I work with are the best.
If you want to be a client work here
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, MNJune 30, 2019
I worked here a couple years ago when the company was fun and the employee didn’t have to look over there shoulder continuously wondering what you were going to be in trouble for next. Since management changed two years ago things certainly have went downhill. The place is no longer fun, employees no longer enjoy breaks with each other they don’t go to the break-rooms, instead they hide out in either their offices or leave the building all together. I previously saw a post here as well asking where the BOARD of DIRECTORS are -I wonder the same thing.
I am ashamed to admit I even worked here.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Everything else
Poor work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJune 19, 2019
I feel compelled to write a review on this company. I was previously employed at NPMH and chose to end my employment late 2018 after many years of loyal service. The employees on the front line are putting their heart and soul into the work, with no support from upper management. In fact, employees now have nothing but barriers to overcome that are put in place by the micromanaging, incompetent upper management. Like other reviews, I agree that this company is an extremely poor place to work. Every other poor review on this site is spot on.

WHERE IS THE BOARD??!! Why aren't the problems being addressed?
Pros
Pto
Cons
Upper management and the changes brought by
Poor Management
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, MNJune 13, 2019
I was with Northern Pines for a couple of years and I have to agree with a lot of the other reviewers that the management there is just terrible. For a mental health facility, they don’t seem to really care about the well being of the employees. A lot of the staff do so much (and burn themselves out) and get little appreciation for their hard work.
Pros
Pto, Life Insurance, Great co-workers
Cons
Management, Stressful, High Burnout
Negative Culture and Poor Management
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJune 12, 2019
I was fully committed to this company for years. New management came in and that changed. I witnessed many colleagues treated poorly and experienced that myself. Several management decisions made no sense and compounded my distrust in their ability to manage what used to be a great company. Their is a lack of transparency and extreme nepotism. Efforts to problem solve put a target on one's back. The morale is poor and people are reluctant to share suggestions for fear of reprisal. There is so much turnover and so many comments about burnout. It's sad to see the Northern Pines I knew and loved become so unhealthy.
Cons
Unethical, poor management, disorganized.
Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, MNJune 8, 2019
Staff are belittled, work environment is chaotic, toxic work environment, and poor communication agency wide.
Staff are walking on egg shells daily with great concern that they will be next.
Individuals that have minimum clinical background are running this organization
And, it shows.
Pros
Great staff. PTO.
Cons
Mico management. Belittled. Chaotic. Disorganized.
I don't recommend.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 7, 2019
Communication and management at NPMH was extremely poor. Management often tells you what you want to hear rather than the truth; they also tend to pass things off to one another which was confusing. There was no direction, no support, unrealistic expectations, high stress, and very high burnout.
Pros
Pto, Flexibility
Cons
Poor Management
Growth and Support
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJune 1, 2019
Working for Northern Pines has afforded multiple opportunities for professional growth and educational advancement through offered trainings in evidenced-based practices. However, working in this field requires deliberate and consistent self-care to avoid burnout.
Abundantly Dysfunctional
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMay 11, 2019
If you want to experience mental illness within your employment consider working at NPMH.

Management is unethical, unprofessional, along with extensive turn over.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, client or employee.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Unsafe place to work
Nice place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNApril 19, 2019
Management was ALWAYS helpful to me. I ALWAYS felt valued and felt that my opinions mattered. I always felt like a member of the team. My co-workers were simply amazing. We had an excellent team in my division. When I gave my notice they took the time to ask why and then went on to tell me that I would be missed and that I would always have a job if I ever wanted to go back to Norther Pines. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Great team members. Management helpful.
Cons
Some days got really long.
If you like to be controlled, micro managed, and bullied, by all means apply here.
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNApril 13, 2019
Once they got a new Director the place went down hill. This company is nothing but a profit driven nonprofit.
All they care about is that you get those productivity hours in. You will be controlled micro managed and bullied to do it. Do yourself a huge favor and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Helping clients improve their mental health
Cons
Great people to work with... not for
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNApril 4, 2019
This company was great to work for at the start then managament changed and the micromanaging increased. They do not trust their employees and treat professional people as children, monitoring and micromanaging every step in their day. There were always new tasks to do with no time to do them and expectations that are unrealistic. The people I worked with day to day were amazing and if it wasnt for those coworkers I would not have lasted as long as I did. Management has forgotten that their employees are people and does not care about the high level of burnout happening at their hand. Unfortunately with all the stress, burn out and micromanaging it is the clinicians and ultimately the clients who are suffering.
Pros
Great coworkers, so much knowledge
Cons
Micromanaging, unrealistic expectations, out of touch management, high turnover due to stress and burnout
Management Poor / Job Culture unethical
MHP (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 6, 2018
Unethical demands from management. Management is unable to be truthful at any time. Management makes personal threats via e-mail and in person if anyone speaks up about problems. NPMH changed management 18 months ago and has fell from being a great place to work to being a dictatorship style of management.
Pros
Co-workers are great
Cons
Great staff and fulfilling job!
Mental health practitioner (Current Employee) –  WadenaNovember 13, 2018
Northern pines mental health is a great place to work if you want to feel fulfilled in working the mental health field. People within the agency are willing to help with any questions or confusion staff are having. Communication does lack at times but this is improving from upper management. This agency provides many benefits including health insurance, life insurance, and you earn PTO every paycheck.
Pros
Benefits, great co-workers, fulfilling work
Cons
Communication
Learning Environment
Crisis Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Falls, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Northern Pines is a great place to get your skills developed as well as learning different positions that you are interested in. There is room to grow within the company and they will help you achieve your goals.

There is a new structure to upper management which has caused a lot of stress over the past couple of years for management and trickles down to all workers.

The employees that work at Northern Pines are wonderful; friendly and helpful. You can make some great connections.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Upper Management micromanaging programs
Excellent Vision for Mental Health Services
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNAugust 29, 2018
There will always be challenges working in the mental health field, however, I was very happy with the company and the services provided. I enjoyed my work and the collaboration among our team even though there was stressful situations we had to deal with at times. The connections we made with clients, and help we were providing made things worth it. Management was also very supportive when I would reach out, there are truly good people that care working for NP. Would recommend working for NP.
Pros
Supportive team, great training opportunities, generous PTO/holiday
Cons
pay average for field
A Culture of Toxicity and Cronyism
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNAugust 21, 2018
Northern Pines is a community mental health center that exists to serve the most disenfranchised and high risk populations, but the ability to serve these clients with the honor and care they deserve is hindered by the toxic culture of the agency. There are many staff members within Northern Pines that are bright and talented individuals, but their curiosity is often viewed as a challenge and their verve is stifled by management. Cronyism also plays a role in the poorly selected leadership team; from the Executive Director to the entire management team. As a community mental health center there is a blinding need to have a healthier culture and to support the mental health of the staff. This agency has the ability to be a cornerstone of the community that fosters collaboration in a growth and learning environment, but currently it exists as an unhealthy, low quality, shame based agency that thrives on dysfunction.

My advice: focus on shifting culture rather than paying lip service to values that don’t currently exist.
Pros
Trauma bonding with co-workers
Cons
Culture and management
find somewhere else to work
Mental Health Therapist, Clinical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJune 20, 2018
The supervisors were unavailable for questions or support, expected other staff to show new staff how to do the job, and the "team" members were cut throat and rude. The "team" and supervisors expected you to do your job with no training, no supplies, and no help. When you express your frustration and stress the supervisors will tell you what you want to hear but nothing changes. Best part of this job was the day I turned in my badge and keys!
Pros
Pto
Cons
No breaks, expected to do a job without the right materials

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Pines Mental Health Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7