Northern Star Employee Reviews

Clean and sanitize cooking equipment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2018
Safely utilized chemical cleaners, sanitized both interior and exterior of industrial refrigerators and freezers. Thoroughly cleaned food storage cook tanks at the end of the shift.
Pros
worked at own pace as long as work got done
Cons
company moved out of town
Clean and sanitize equipment for a safe cook product
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2018
Good company to work for, it was a union job that you had to work 6 month of probation before getting hired and if it would have not moved out of town i would still try top be employed their./
Pros
off weekends
Cons
company had a bad smell
Excellent place to work
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNJanuary 28, 2018
Northern Star is an excellent place to work at. It had great benefits including paid holidays and good compensation. Management was great to work with.
Pros
Excellent pay
some good some bad
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNNovember 9, 2017
Good coworkers, but bad management. Pay is on the high average side but the health insurance and dental are poor. Mechanics are unionized and belong to a ridiculous bakery drivers union. Terrible union that offers even more terrible benefits.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad union setup
It is what you make of it.
cip cleaner (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 23, 2017
Third shift CIP. You will spend a good deal of it wet.They give you a rain suit because of the chemicals but there is water flying in from everywhere. The floor is wet and slippery with potato. There is a lot of shoveling to be done. Do a good job or they make you do it over. The work schedual is posted, be sure to check it every day before you leave because it changes with out notice. If you miss a day you'll loose points. Safety meeting are not always posted clearly. You'll loose points for those as well. Favoritism is an issue, politics plays its part as well. It all depends on what part you work in
Pros
Wages& benefits are ok. high deductable
Cons
They own you.
I enjoyed it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Deer River, MNSeptember 17, 2017
Only thing bad I would have to say is that it was a Gossipy place to work, loved the adults I worked with tho. Great role models. Was very sad when i left
Pros
Easy
Cons
Not much to stay husy
Flexible schedule, interesting experiences
Photographer (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJune 13, 2017
A typical day included receiving calls from the photo editor regarding assignments, attending events to cover, conducting brief interviews, and editing photos for submission.
I learned a little more about photojournalism.
The most enjoyable part of the job was turning a hobby into a job throughout the school year.
Real world experience
Assistant News Editor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILApril 21, 2017
I've loved working at the Northern Star because it's real-world experience at the student level. I learned more at the Star than I have in my classes. There is only so much you can learn sitting in a classroom, and eventually you have to get out and get hands-on experience. Working at the star has improved my writing, reporting and editing skills and has helped me build my portfolio. If you are a journalism major at NIU, you should be working for the Star.
Pros
Real-world experience, portfolio building, improve yourself as a journalist
Cons
Stressful with classes, you start as a volunteer
A good strong workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNJanuary 30, 2017
Up bet environment on floor supervisor to oversee workers to improve performance and answer questions that you may have about equipment that you work with!
Get paid to play with your food
Floor Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNOctober 21, 2015
Lot's of work. You want hours? Have all the ones you want. Want internal job postings? We have them too. Want to share a joke with the GM? Go ahead. Do your stuff and, generally, have fun doing it.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Not happy with union local
Slow paced easy going job
Sales, customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 18, 2015
A typical work day consisted of stocking, inventory, customer service and sales. I learned a lot about handing a cash register, being a key holder which held a lot of responsibilities and how to sell products effectively. The management was great, it was owned by an amazing, caring couple who did there best to make us and the customers happy on a daily basis. My co-workers were great, there were only six of us so it formed a very tight knit family environment. The hardest part was to keep busy when it was slow, which was often. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers, all different types of people came in and you had to interact differently with every person who walked in and tend to their specific needs.
Productive and fun work place!
Supervisor & Gerald Buffet, Lead (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNMarch 14, 2015
Northern Star is a great work place to enjoy a multicultural driven job!

Very fair break periods.

Staff are great, compensation and benefits for skills and your work are good and fair with with todays economy.

Overall Northern Star is great company to work for if you have motivation and a driven personality.
Overall great place to work with even better people.
Reporter (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJanuary 19, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with the Northern Star. It really was the first job that gave me a chance in this industry. I fell the strict deadlines were a plus and really got me on track on what to expect from this type of work.
Worked with kids and families
Office Worker / Fund Raising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 29, 2014
Helped students with homework, talking out and about their problems. Helped with fundraisers and fieldtrips
Pros
helped kids
Cons
unable to solve all problems that was brought to me.
Great job, nice environment.
Computer Support (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 7, 2014
- Saved and created images with Norton Ghost
- Setup Dell Axims PDA with ActiveSync and migrated applications between
PC and PDA
- Upgraded and performed maintenance on systems
- Support internal and external users
- Performed builds on PCs, laptops, workstations
- Surplus hardware and document serial numbers
- Defrag hard drive
- Created User Name and Passwords through Active Directory
- Supported Office 2003 applications, and performed updates
- Perform Unix and Dos commands on Windows and Unix systems
- Perform application updates
Was a good company to work for
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNJanuary 30, 2014
There are no two days alike, every single day has a challenge and room to prove yourself. Learned a lot about working/managing production employees. Co-workers were very fun to work with, you can feel and breath the teamwork atmosphere. The down side of working for this company is the work schedule. You pretty much have to be single, otherwise it doesn't work if you try to balance your work and life with your family. The demand for you to be present at work is high.
But again, once you're at work the time goes by really, and I mean it, really fast, I guess that is always a good thing.
Pros
Bonuses, and hey they throw a really fancy party every winter for all non union employees
Cons
No time to off
our supervisor sometimes gives us good job lunches
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNOctober 21, 2013
I learned this job a lot of things that I didn't know before
I learned how to work as team
Great experience working with co-workers, productive atmosphere where it was easy to exchange ideas
Perspective Columnist (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJuly 22, 2013
I wrote opinion columns for Northern Illinois University's newspaper called the Northern Star. Some of the articles were advice pieces to help freshmen get used to college life. I also wrote about how to get good grades in your classes because school is very important and students should take it seriously. Sometimes, I heard students complain about the campus tours interfering with their final exams. Since that was an issue, I wrote about why the tours took place at certain times and listed good places for students to study. Every weekend, there was one topic for my whole section to write about. We described our favorite thing about fall, our holiday traditions, etc. The topics had to do with the time of year and what special events would be happening the upcoming week.

Once a week, I met with my co-workers to discuss column ideas. I really enjoyed that because we gave each other suggestions on how to make our columns more relatable to students. It was easier to come up with creative angles. In addition to writing about the weekend topic, we usually wrote 1 story per week.

Another thing I enjoyed about the job was the interviewing process. Since I was really interested in the topics I wrote about, I came up with questions right away to focus on my angle. I figured out who my sources were right away and emailed them. The interviews were well-conducted because they were really conversational versus question-and-answer.

The two hardest parts were getting all of the facts right the first time and getting interviews set up enough in advance of the deadline. I handled these
  more... issues by emailing my sources quotes and making sure that I got the stories right.   less
Copy Editor
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILJuly 16, 2013
Copy Editor for daily college newspaper Northern Star at Northern Illinois University.
Great Job
Sports Writer (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 24, 2012
Most enjoyable is get to write about sporting events which is a passion of mine. I've learned what it takes to write a article for a newspaper.