Northern Tool + Equipment Employee Reviews

Productivity
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 6, 2018
Is a good work environment fun place to work learn a lot drive forklift lear how to put molding together how to open the mold how to operate the machines
Pros
Bonus
Fun but stressful
Cherry Picker Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 2, 2018
They don't have much concern for holidays or family is an easy job pays well and gives you 40+hours most of the time but it is very tiring having to carry things that weigh 75 pounds while being 30ft in the air on a cherry picker while listening to country music all day and then get home at 12am if you live close and then you don't get over time until after you complete your 40 hours.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Tiring, repetitive
lots of changes
Welding Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Faribault, MNNovember 27, 2018
The company has changed very little in how they do things and now they are trying to make a 20 year leap in the processes and systems all in one year. it makes for exciting changes but also causes some stress.
Pros
Good people and solid company to work for.
Cons
The constant changes can get a little hard to keep up with.
Great Company to work for with Excellent Benefits
Senior Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 13, 2018
I have been in retail for over 30 years of which 7 of my years have been with Northern Tool. I can truly say I have enjoyed working here better than any other company I have worked for. The company really cares about the well being of their employees. The hours are great, the pay is above average, and the benefits are awesome. The environment is very relaxed and there are many opportunities for management and the associates to earn extra money. Fun and Exciting place to work.
Pros
Hours of operation, Benefits, Pay, and Fun Enviorment
Cons
Very few stores in the area must move to advance
Very Good Culture.
Change Management Leader (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNNovember 10, 2018
Northern offers a relaxed and friendly work culture. We are allowed to wear very casual attire to stay comfortable. Management is very open door and will assist in every which way possible.
Very Produstive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 4, 2018
Here at Northern Tool & Equipment we all get along well. . We Work as family and are ALWAYS looking out for the best interest of the customer. I would consider it a very nice place to work
Pros
Everything is great
Cons
every job has its cons
Productive and Motivating.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Pequot lakes, MinnesotaOctober 29, 2018
I would come into work at 1:00 P.M.. I would be on the phones until 7:00. I would get on chat at that point, and be on there until 9:00. I would get two 10 minute breaks and an hour lunch typically in between that.

Management was great, they all did a wonderful job helping reps, with desired needs.
Pros
Good work environment, Free lunches
Cons
Sitting for long periods of time.
Daily Summary
Lead Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 16, 2018
Emails and phone calls
Great employees
Good work life balance
Fun events for staff
Opportunities for advancement
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
great place to work.
Product Placement Specialist/cashier/sales (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2018
Really enjoyed my time working for a great company, many benefits to working here, great management, coworkers, products were amazing. Enjoyed helping customers with their tool needs
Entertaining (for retail). Very useful experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 3, 2018
Learned several useful skills that are translatable to many other jobs. Learned the importance of customer service.
Very friendly environment among the staff.
Management was often not on the same page when discussing priorities.
Pros
Very friendly, flexible hours, each day could be different
Cons
Management somewhat difficult to work with (each had a different goal in mind)
Terrible employee treatment and customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 26, 2018
During my time at northern tool i was promised the world to get me in the door and treated horribly soon after i was hired. I would not reccomend this company to anyone looking to do something worth while with their time. Both the store managers were terrible and the assistant manager is stealing from the company and has been for some time.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Everything else about the job
Horrible communication Horrible management
Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 24, 2018
They pick and choose which rules they want to enforce. Was told that the handbook was in reality guidelines not actual SOPs to be followed. They do not comply with general rights of people have no regard or knowledge of the law and if they want you gone they let you know. You constantly have to adjust your approach because every time they ask you to complete a task they change how it's done. My manager and her moods are a joke. She doesnt even try to hide her feelings towards you. I wish I could show you pictures.
Pros
The customers are pretty cool
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced, lots to learn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LASeptember 20, 2018
For a Customer Service person this is an excellent place to work. Company management is not organized. Scheduling enough staff per shift a problem. While it was a good experience management did not have enough control.
Pros
Business system consistent
Cons
Never enough staff per shift
Okay to work there
Packer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCSeptember 19, 2018
Okay place to work but not if you're interested in advancement. Just don't like the environment and short hours. Hot climate, not recognized fire doing great work.
Cons
Reduced hours
Steady job
Licensed Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Management was great. There were opportunities to grow and become a permanent employee in this temp position. We worked as a team to get the job done.
Failure To Change
Sore Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 9, 2018
Inconsistent accountability of staff. Upper Management not true to their word. Insufficient training. No work / life balance. Low Salary for hours and time worked.
Benefits
Cons
No Upper Management support
Fast pace work place with customers.
Warehouse Lead/Forklift Operator/Management (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Normally, i work every day shift and experience high traffic during 11am to 2 pm. You really have to hold customers' hands when it comes to customers service at northern tool. A lot of customers don't really know how to use some of the products. So you have to explain to them how is used. You have to be careful not to tell them the wrong information or the next day or 2, they come back with a complaint about our salesperson customer service. It is very sensitive.
Pros
benefits, day shift
Cons
low raises, word of mouth training, very few employees, low payroll budget
Too relaxed with a lack of accountability.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
They justify allowing individuals to underperform by stating they are a "people company". Accountability isn't something that's stressed throughout the company in regards to performance and attendance. There's not much pressure on manager's to meet metrics as corporate companies. They believe in giving people chances, which can be both positive and negative in certain situations. NTE's insistence on being perceived as a "people company" has led to several underachieving stores. This has created an environment of minimal accountability and affected store appearance and productivity.
Benefits
Great place to work!
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Great place to work, had the best schedule in the world! Relaxed work environment. Management was very helpful along with training. I learned a lot from working at this company and was often recognized for my hard work.
Pros
Great work hours!
Cons
Short lunches.
Productive and Fast Pace
Seasonal Assembler (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNAugust 31, 2018
Start your day early but done by 4pm. Work can get repetitive but it is assembly. Some heavy lifting but have equipment to help with the really heavy movement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Tool + Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight