Northern Tool + Equipment Employee Reviews

Poor management at the moment
Sales Associate, Cashier, Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 13, 2019
I was top 5 for part time sales in our region. Once our old boss left the new manager picked favorites and my hours were cut by 10 a week. Unrewarding and don't expect to do good things and get noticed unless you kiss...
Changing culture is ruining a past great work place.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousApril 11, 2019
I worked for Northern Tool for over 10 years and what I thought was a great and loyal place to work has become like any other retailer. After all those years, the family atmosphere I felt within the company has gone out the window. For most my time there, I felt a sense of pride whenever I said I worked at Northern Tool, but With an ever growing company, comes the realization that there is no sense of loyalty or pride in the employees that have been around who helped and sacrificed for the company.
Benefits
Cons
New management and growth is ruining a one time great employer.
Overall Experience
Industrial Battery Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCApril 9, 2019
The company is a good start but not enough money to survive. It doesn't have any growth. It was a great opportunity because it taught me so much. Grateful for the opportunity
great products
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 26, 2019
Northern Toll fast paced sales driven employer. Always dependent on add on sales warranties and credit card apps.lack of Managment at times expessaily during weekend hours low staff
Pros
Great products
Cons
pressure sales
Good place to be
Copy Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 26, 2019
I worked for Northern Tool for over 10 years. They have an outstanding commitment to work/life balance and, in the main, set realistic expectations for their teams. The Kotula family lives by the values they have set forth.
Sometimes stressful.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 19, 2019
This is sometimes a stressful work place due to the lack of workers. I understand a budget, but only 3 people working for time to time leaves someone open to injuries. They need to find a better staffing arrangement to prevent injuries.
Pros
The pay is good.
Cons
To many rules
March 25, 2019

Thank you for the 4-star review! I am sorry to hear that staffing seems to be an issue at times. I will share your information with our Retail Operations/leadership team. We appreciate your feedback.

Great place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, scMarch 18, 2019
I was there for six years and if there had been no scheduling issues that I was having due to personal issues in my life than I would still be there today. The management is really great, and most of us are more like a family than a work place. However there is workplace moral where we can have fun and also give respect when the time calls for it between management and other associates.
March 25, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at Northern! We love getting feedback like this. Thanks, you made our day. :)

False promises
Credit Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pequot Lakes, MNMarch 13, 2019
Northern promises work from home opportunities as well as career advancement and flexible schedules . I have been waiting over a year for these "benefits" and keep being told soon..
March 18, 2019

We are sorry to hear that you have not been able to get on the work from home schedule yet. If you have not done so, please reach out to our HR Department to discuss your concerns. I have forwarded your feedback on to our Contact Center leadership team.
Thank you for your feedback.

Dead end job with no advancement opportunities
Returns Processor (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCMarch 12, 2019
I wasted 15 years of my life working at this company. I worked in almost every department, and tried multiple times to move up. Even if you know everything about your department, if an opening comes up they will give it to someone who already the title of “lead”, even if they know nothing about the job -what a joke. They treat employees like children with days where they have you wear your Northern shirt and what do you get? A CANDY BAR! Management is condescending and sarcastic. RUN do not walk away from this place..so glad I left!
Pros
Paycheck if you’re desperate
Cons
Too many to list!
March 18, 2019

Thank you for 15 years with us! We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience working here. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. Even if it is not necessarily feedback we enjoy hearing, it is important for us to hear, as this can help us improve. I have shared your feedback with our management team at Fort Mill.

Productive Workplace
Northern Tool & Equipment (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 7, 2019
a place to work well with other and to meet people learning about the merchandise. Great experience to work with customers and getting to know how to help in the store with others.
March 18, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your job at Northern.

Wonderful place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 5, 2019
This company is a gem to work for. Please consider them for your next employment. A Little bit of an increase in pay would mean the world to the employees. Maybe consider adjusting the bonus structure to allow for more potential.
Fun place to work bu very long hours due to short staffing
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAFebruary 26, 2019
NTE is a fairly well run company but they are trying to do to much with to few employees. Multitasking is an understatement. When store has good general manager it is a more efficient and fun place to work. Due to high turnover rate of hourly and management the store is constantly in training mode.
Pros
Opportunity to move up within store.
Cons
Long hours, schedule changes often.
March 4, 2019

Thank you for your review - we always love hearing from our employees! We appreciate your feedback regarding staffing and turnover. I will forward your feedback on to our retail operations team.

Fair
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2019
My experience at northern was good . Great staff & management. Whiched company would compensate according for a person's hard work. Overall not a bad place to work .
Pros
Fun and always something new
Cons
Pay
A great place to work great team effort
SR service technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2019
My day starts off with checking work oders , diagnoseing recent brought in equipment and making estimates. Having meets with management on service dept. Customers and stores make readies equimemt. The work enviroment for me was fun and enjoyed itvery much. The hardest part was not having proper training in new equipment the store brought in.
Pros
Love the working enviroment
Cons
Pay raise
February 14, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time as a mechanic with Northern!

Worst Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pequot Lakes, MNJanuary 24, 2019
Get treated like garbage by customers and Supervisors daily. Worked there for 2 years got 1 small raise and I was full time. Daily grind was tough on my back because sitting in a small cubicle for 8 hours constantly on the phone takes a toll.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
January 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you didn’t have a good experience while working for us. If you have any specifics you would like to share regarding your time here, please reach out to us at talent@northerntool.com.

Just Run the Play
Senior Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  kansas cityJanuary 22, 2019
in general the company wants robots not thinkers or problem solvers. The lack of control of inventory leaves lots of out of stock holes. No detail check in of received product leaves inconsistent inventory. Mandatory following of PlanOgrams that do not work with proper merchandising standards leaves product out of reach of customers, and sets up a opportunity for high level of shrink. The worst part in communication upper management doesn't want to hear problems or solutions for them. For a privately owned it is unstable for growth until inventory challenges are solved.
Pros
company sells what they make
Cons
insults "just run the play" and shut up your opinion is not wanted
January 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sharing it with our Retail Operations leadership team. We are always looking for ways to improve and grow as a company. The power of one individual to make a difference is a vital part of our culture and critical to our future success. If you have more ideas on how we can be more efficient or grow sales, please pass those along through the proper channel or reach out to someone on the HR team at talent@northerntool.com.

It was ok
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 17, 2019
It was a good work place but it lac benefits and that was a big deal for me. Alot of safety hazard also. The ventilation was horrible . The people where great tho.
Enjoyable place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 10, 2019
Northern offered a big box store options for buying but in a small store family atmosphere. The company started out as a family business and still feels that way to this day.
February 14, 2019

Thank you for your review! Even though we are growing, we really try to keep the family feel to the business, so we are happy to hear that our employees recognize that.

Ok job
small engine mechanic (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 14, 2018
Ok job with very few opportunities for growth don't promote minorities if a new management come along look out you may be out the door but if you're just for a job it's an ok place to work
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very few chances for minorities to grow
A good place to work
Product Placement Lead / Salesman (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MODecember 10, 2018
Management cares about employees, they tried to make the work environment easy going and did a pretty good job. Everyone worked as a team setting up the new store. Management did not play favorites.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Tool + Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight