Northern Trust Corp. Employee Reviews

Fun Work Place
SQL Server Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
• Developed system standards, architecture, scenarios, detailed screen specifications and documented logical and physical data model.
• Designed and implemented tables, functions, stored procedures and triggers in SQL Server 2008/2012/2014 Participated in gathering user requirements and System Specifications.
• Extensively used Joins and sub-queries for complex queries involving multiple tables from different databases.
• Deployed packages to SQL Server and file system in 2012 and also used the new Project based Deployment introduced in 2014 SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) to deploy the 2014 packages.
• Involved in Performance Tuning and query Optimization.
• Created PL/SQL scripts to extract the data from the operational database into simple flat text files using UTL_FILE package.
• Assisted in production OLAP cubes, wrote queries to produce reports using MS SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) and Reporting service (SSRS).
• Designed SSIS Packages to extract, transfer, load (ETL) existing data into SQL Server from different environments for the SSAS cubes.
• Involved in Analyzing, designing, building &, testing of OLAP cubes with SSAS and in adding calculations using MDX.
• Involved in creating Star schema cubes using SSAS.
• Created and Managed OLAP Cubes using SSAS.
• Creation of database objects like tables, views, materialized views, procedures and packages using oracle tools like Toad, PL/SQL Developer and SQL * plus.
• Extensively used bulk collection in PL/SQL objects for improving the performing.
• Created Datasets in T-SQL, stored procedures for SSRS.
  more... Created Parameterized reports, linked reports, Cross-Tab reports, Drill down reports & Summary reports by Using SSRS.
• Created multiple cubes in a database solution with multiple facts in a single cube with shared dimensions.
• Created hierarchies, partitions and perspectives as and when required based on the complexity of the cube.
• Developed ETL's using transformations like OLE DB Source, OLE DB Destination, Derived Column, Data Conversion, OLE DB command, Slowly Changing Dimension, Union All, Script Task, Flat file Source, Flat file Destination, Conditional Split.
• Developed Event Handlers for executing Stored Procedures and storing the rows Inserted, rows Selected, rows Rejected, rows Updated and rows Unchanged in appropriate SQL Tables.
• Using Checkpoints in packages to enable the package to run from the point of failure.
• Prepare documentation related to database design, objects security and rules.
• Involved in Performance Tuning of SSIS Packages, reports, Views, Stored procedures using SQL Profiler and Tuning Advisor improving performance and scalability.
• Migrated Databases from MS SQL Server 2008/2012/2014 R2 to Microsoft Access using SSIS.
A equal opportunity company that provides good employee benefits and opportunies for advancement for those taking up the challenge.
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cook County, ILJanuary 24, 2019
I was fortunate enough to work with a group of very capable and responsive IT personnel whose motto was always 'How can I help?'. The attitude is 'we can do it' and many times, members worked beyond their stated hours to help when needed. Hardest challenge is prioritizing the various projects due to funding and resources as everything is always important.
Pros
Generous employee benefits
Cons
Deadlines imposed by regulatory requirements.
Flexible work enviroment
Associate Fixed Income Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Northern Trust offers a flexible work environment. The people there are great to work with but the compensation is in the middle of the road vs. their peers.
Great place to work and grow.
Transmissions Monitor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Very positive, competitive and productive environment to work in. The dress is business casual and the coworkers are very easy to get along with as well as work with.
Very nice place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Northern Trust is a great company to work for the people were very friendly and very kind management was great treat everyone equal gave a balance work life.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Company has many opportunities for advancement
Multiple positions in Banking and IT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
Overall I enjoyed my years at Northern Trust. A lot of job opportunities for movement. The Salaries on are the lower side though, received a large increase in salary after leaving. There were frequent management changes however for the most part did not negatively impact my day to day job responsibilities. Few opportunities to work remotely, no company wide policy, decision left to your manager.
Pros
Benefits, Work Envoironment
Cons
low salary, no opportunity to work remotely
Excellent facilities limited location.
Commercial Lending Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2019
I highly recommend Northern Trust. Employees are treated with high regard. Pay and benefits are comparable if not slightly higher to the industry standard.
Pros
Stability in the banking industry
Management at my last role within Hedge Fund Services was lacking.
Account Manager, Sr. Consultant, Investor Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2019
Working hours were usually 7 am - 6 pm

Learned more about myself than anything else; what I enjoy and what I dslike

Learned alot about managerial styles; both the positives and the negatives

For all my years at NT, the team atmosphere and workplace culture was genuinely positive. However, due to managerial decisions towards the end of my career with the firm, I felt there was a lack of training for new employees

Keeping composure with deanding clients

Building relationships with your clients and receiving positive feedback from them
Pros
Nice facilites
Cons
Slightly disorganized from a managerial perspective
Racism, sexism, good old boys club
Administration (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2019
Racism, sexism, and the good old boys club.

Paid-off complainants of various race-related lawsuits throughout the years. Typical "establishment" culture.
Pros
Sustainable medical benefits with economical co-pays.
Cons
Racism, sexism, and the good old boys club reign supreme.
Nothern Trust
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
When I first worked for Northern Trust-Chicago as a consultant, the workplace culture was challenging and a very enjoyable place to be. When I returned years later, the environment has greatly changed. A huge amount of IT related work has been offshored. In many cases, employee benefits are being slashed and many employees are just hoping to make it to retirement. Scary place to work.
Good Company
Trust Officer / Sr. Tax Acct. (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2018
Great company to work for. I do not feel comfortable leaving further comments or reviews because Indeed requires me to leave reviews for every job I've ever held.
secure
Senior Consultant - Hedge Fund Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2018
one of the big positives of working at northern trust is the job security. depending on the department you are in you can be in the steady 9-5 if that is what you are looking for good place.
nice place to work
Tax Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2018
I love the culture of the company, it has been great working there. I am just ready for something else. the position that I am in there is no advancement. I would like to advance in my job.
benefits
Cons
advancement
Good company
Sr Consultant Client Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2018
Professional environment, good company to work for for mature employees. decent benefits. Not recomended for recent graduates
Nice place to work
Consultant - New Business (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2018
Great benefits, and surrounded by professional and enjoyable colleagues. The open floor plan leads to great collaboration and sharing of ideas for bettering the experience for internal and external clients. I've not worked for a company that promotes community involvement and engagement as much as Northern.
Pros
vacation time off
Cons
compensation
To ceo
Corporate Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  ChicagoDecember 13, 2018
Stop hiring 'diversity' if your culture refuses to promote them. Focus on unprofessional staff, managers and HR personnel that continue the disrespectful treatment of others.
Northern can do better
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2018
Been here for about 12 years and i feel i am not where i should be. The department i've been has not helped me get to a high level paying prospective and professional
Great company but compensation needs to be more appropriate
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2018
The company is known for its excellence in client services, which is true. The employees consistently go above and beyond to make sure the clients are happy. The company itself has a great work life balance, where a typical workday starts at 8:30/9 and ends around 5/5:30 (as many employees have children to tend to). However, with the phenomenal growth that the company has experienced lately, It would be more appropriate to have larger incentive bonuses paid out. Other banks and financial services companies pay out 2-3X what Northern Trust does. Now, money doesn't always translate to having a great experience with a company, however the company ends up losing great staff as employees on your team search externally with competitors for those attractive compensation packages. Typical excellent workers need to be paid 40-50% of their base salary as their yearly bonus to keep them attached to the company for the long run.
Cons
compensation
No comment at this time
Sr. Infrastructure Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2018
I worked as a contractor for the Technical Infrastructure Project Management Office. I worked on various infrastructure projects starting from initiation through implementation.
Difficult promotions small bonuses low salary
Client Associate (Investment & Trust) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 6, 2018
Difficult promotions small bonuses low salary nice office . Very easy to get stuck and not grow. Nice people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Trust Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northern Trust Corp..

Powered by Comparably