Northern Trust Corp.

United States786 reviews

Found 786 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,270 reviews
trustbankbalanceconservativechicagopartnerclientculture

Flexible schedule and strong Cultur

Good place to work. You have to take charge of your own career and learning as work opportunities to learn and grow may be limited to keep up your skills.

Pros

Flexible schedule, Opportunities to collaborate, internal employee councils, total compensation

Cons

Ability to learn on job, career pathing assistance

Competitive salary and lots of learnings

Learnings and processes may seem to be not applicable to other companies once you leave. Competitive salary and benefits are being reviewed each year.

Northern Trust Corp. insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

There are other places

The lack of overall investment knowledge and practice is glaring and this includes the Senior management team.Northern Trust wants to send 60% of its workforce to India because the labor is cheaper.

Pros

Wear jeans

Productive Place to Work

I learned a lot while working at this company.You must have patience & willing to learn new procedures. My co workers were great & gave assistance when more information was needed.

Pros

Great co workers; very helpful

Cons

Position was temporary

Couldn’t get out fast enough

Was the longest six months of my life. Management was incompetent and constantly making mistakes. Was embarrassed at the service that was provided to our PE client. Old and poor functioning systems, no work life balance. Micromanagement. Awful. Would never go back.Pay was okay, but other benefits almost nonexistent. No work culture, no bonus.

All good

So far so. good.Goo experience.Understanding management.Good leaders.Flexible working hours.Good work life balance.Hybrid work environment.Diversity

Good place to be in. A safe work culture. You will safe and secured at job. All your concerns are always heard. You feel the belongingness in the company.

Great people and good culture

Northern Trust is a great global corporation with good people but low pay and there can be a lack of communication depending what department you work in.

Low pay raises

Great benefits. Company offers generous time-off. Must have the right connections to get ahead. Very minimal pay raises throughout my time there. Hard work is not appreciated.

Depends on which team you are in

Pretty bad work life balance. Clueless senior management. Lack of transparency and clear communication. Incompetent senior managers. Only the benefits were good

Pros

Fair pay

Cons

Work life balance

Large company with good growth opportunities.

Compensation is competitive and benefits are good. Lots of potential for growth. Some departments don't offer flexible schedule. Overall the company has a good culture.

Too many legacy people

Too many legacy employees who have been there 30+ years and who have no new, original ideas anymore and cannot lead by example. Not very innovative, technology is atrocious. Management a bit out of touch.

Pros

Culture seems to be “employee” centric, but really depends on which mgr and LOB

Cons

Benefits, technology, innovation

Productive fun environment

Great company to work for good pto good life balance good insurance plan and co workers which there’s was more remote work capabilities . And more opportunity to move up in the company otherwise I would have stayed.

Depends on your group

I like my team, very supportive. Could be paid more somewhere else though. Flexibility is great and so is work/life balance but again, depends on the team you are on.

I feel this is a great company to work for. There are a lot of good benefits and there is great culture in the workplace. Competitive pay and good work life balance overall.

Who's in charge anyways?

Senior management has established separately managed business units who see no need to coordinate strategy or plans for technology and infrastructure. As a result, data and information is highly siloed and systems do not interconnect well. Revenue generating business units have ample budgets for technology and staff with a lot of redundancy but corporate functions are severely underfunded and under-resourced. Best to seek roles in the business units.

Worked for this company for 19 years plus. In those years my position was underpaid, overlooked, and not respected as I should have been as my peers were.

Pros

Diverse

Cons

Poor Management

Depending on the department you know what needs to be done.

Been with the company 5 years and was only promoted once due to lack of advancement ability. Manager has favorites and will make it known if you’re in their circle. Manager will yell at you over the phone and then try to track back to make it seem like it never happened. If you try to report it would get told you have no proof.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Pay, hostile environment, section manager, retaliation

Good place to start career

The people are really really nice. The office is really nice and the views of Chicago will never get old. The office environment can feel toxic at times, depending on department. Management is very stubborn and I personally don't have hope that things will change with regards to retaining talent. Can feel like the company doesn't care about your learning develpment depending on team/department.

Pros

- Good work/life balance, you rarely if ever have to work after 5pm, - Flexibility, just get job done, - You won't get fired unless you try, - People are nice, - Nice view of Chicago from office

Cons

- Little Structure, - Progression feels slow, - Lack of transparency, - Don't learn much, - I personally spent months literally not doing anything which hindered learning, - A lot of complaints about compensation from employees

Best job I ever had

Best job to work for when I was there.Sadly due to COVID-19 my department was terminated.I did enjoy my time the 5 years of being there as well miss the staff and management.

Pros

Morning meetings, fair rotation, great communication.

Cons

Late comers for dining

Management issues

Not supportive. Too much politics and favoritism. Unrealistic expectations that were not measurable based on limited resources and lack of system enhancements.

Pros

Cons

Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Trust Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northern Trust Corp..
Powered byComparably