Northern Virginia Community College Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Inclusive community
CSGold System Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 9, 2018
NOVA is a great place to work with diverse group of individuals, great team work and strong leadership. Working at NOVA provides a tremendous learning opportunities and space to grow as individuals.
Productive learning environment
Lab Assistant/Biotechnology Course Aid (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work if given the opportunity. There is a strong emphasis on learning and personal growth. The hardest part of was getting a foot through the door.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Job security
great organization
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 4, 2018
Enjoyed working here. The staff, pay and hours were all great. I had a 2 hour commute to work that made it difficult to stay. Working with students was a huge positive.
Fast Pace Work
COMPENSATION AND CLASSIFICATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 28, 2018
In this position you must be willing to adapt to the many changes that come on a daily, weekly, monthly notice. Very fast pace. Very customer service orientated. You must be able to adhere to the policies and procedures yet accommodate your customer to get them what they need.
Pros
Able to work from home
Cons
pay
Loved what I did, but not the environment.
Student Life Events Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 26, 2018
The students are wonderful, and I absolutely LOVED working at NOVA, but the environment in the office I worked in was a bit toxic. Although I'd recommend working at NOVA, I wouldn't recommend working there for long.
Illegal Employment Termination
Retired Professor (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAJune 23, 2018
There are many good things about the mission of a community college and having a dedicated faculty to meet needs of students. Any employment includes of transitions and steps. Such was my case in being hired as an instructor, assistant professor, associate professor and full time professor.

Upon achieving all the position rankings, I was unlawfully dismissed from 17 years of employment. My best estimation is that the decision to prevent me to continue my employments is violation of EEOC rules against age and racial discrimination.
Pros
Opportunity for employment growth
Cons
Unlawful Employment Practices
VERY unorganized!
Campus employee (Current Employee) –  VAJune 21, 2018
The HR Department is a joke. Takes forever for them to get back to you and when they do they will tell you they have to call someone else and find an answer.

The management in some departments are poorly trained and nowhere as knowledgeable as they think they are or should be. Lots of power hungry and micro-managing supervisors will throw you to the wolves if your not a “Yes man”.

Pay is decent, but I would NOT recommend working here unless it’s going to be your second retirement. You will not advance if you have a mind of your own and have common sense.
Pros
Pay isn’t bad, state job, slow.
Cons
Power hungry, micro-managing supervisors. HR is horrible!!!
7uu
Education Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAJune 15, 2018
Fast paced but you'll get used to it, job is great for students that go to NOVA because since they're students at the college they learn more about it,
Pros
High Salary
Excellent
Work study Student (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 14, 2018
Fully recommended to any high school student before going to a 4 yr university. Wide range of courses much cheaper than university, great resources and professors. The math department and placement is a complete scam to get people to waste money on 6 credit developmental classes, which stop your degree progress. Liberal Arts Math is garbage.
Pros
Access to all collefe facilities, great environment
Cons
Low pay, limited hours
Many Agendas and Constantly Shifting Initiatives
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2018
State Government Job = Less than competitive compensation.
Educational Institution work schedule allowed for occasional generous leave opportunities depending on staff schedules.
After probation period job security is strong and the preference for internal advancement common.
Quality of management is highly variable from department to department.
Great starter job
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 29, 2018
I have learned alot of things working for NOVA, This is a great job to have if you are looking for a starter career in the educational field. It is not the place i would stay for the rest of my career.
What I learned
IT Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 9, 2018
I have learned many things during my time here. I have learned to play office politics as well play mediator between our customers and IT staff. I enjoy learning new things pertaining to my job.
High volume, fast paced.
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 9, 2018
A typical day at the office consists of troubleshooting a vast array of student/ faculty issues and concerns. Managing the calendars and appointments of Advisors and Specialist. Returning/ reviewing phone messages. The collection, distribution, scanning and subsequent disposal of sensitive documents.
Awesome experience
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 2, 2018
To me this is the perfect job to have while in college. They worked around my schedule, and the work wasn't that hard. With the job networking was made to achieve future success.
A typical day
Instructor II, Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAApril 29, 2018
Meet with the class, usually open the class time with a current event discussion and updates on our agenda for the week. Then, teach and lecture the textbook information with an activity with a group discussion, then end class time.
Pros
enjoyed the students
Cons
only part time
Great job
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAApril 26, 2018
Love working at NVCC because of all the people & staff made me feel like family & life was excellent & I would go back anytime I was welcome back with open arms
Much turnover in management
Interim Dean (Former Employee) –  VAApril 26, 2018
The college serves the community well with supplying qualified nurses for the workforce. Upper and middle management frequently change causing a disruption in job security for others.
Pros
Quality education
Cons
Poor management recruitment and retention
Good Place to work for student
Business Office Fiscal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 24, 2018
It was a good experience working with NOVA. NOVA is the best for student to work that place. I am enjoying what I do. I really like NOVA's work place to work.
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 19, 2018
good place for work, it flexible to your time and schedule. It help to gain more experience and prepare yourself for the next level of job. NOVA is good place for study job
A good College...
Professor (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAApril 19, 2018
Generally NOVA is an okay place to work. It offers very little long term advancement unless you have a doctorate. The college has been understaffed for the better part of a decade due to state budget cuts.
Pros
Benefits and diversity
Cons
Understaffed