Northern Virginia Community College

• Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

The Best Place I Ever Worked

Providing an excellent education was the top priority there, and the management was entirely supportive. The facility was well maintained, well stocked, and thoughtfully designed. Lab Safety was a priority as well.

Pros

Excellent support and work environment

Cons

Like anywhere, being an adjunct keeps the costs down, but ultimately makes you feel like an outsider looking in.

Working as an adjunct professor can be difficult.

Working as an adjunct professor is difficult. Much better to have be a full-time professor. There's not a lot of control over the number of classes you receive each semester. Colleagues are nice.

Pros

Ability to pick the classes you want

Cons

You don't always receive them. No benefits as a part time professor.

Stable state government position

Stable higher education employment. Lack of benefits and raises for part time employees. This position provided useful professional experience and enabled me to network with multiple departments.

Great place to work as a student

Just like the title says. Super flexible and the pay is fair. I also really enjoyed my coworkers and manager. I would recommend others to work here given my experience.

Pros

Flexibility, coworkers

Cons

Limited in number of hours they could give me

great

Although the pay is kind of low but there are many learning opportunities. great teams and great supervisor. they provide us with many trainings and the schedule is very flexible.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Nice Pay For College Student

Worked as an assistant, it was ok, not the best job but it paid enough for a college student. I had a lot of fun working there since I was able to do schoolwork while on the job.

Pros

good hours, good staff

Helping students in need is fulfilling

Reading and writing for students with disabilities has been an eye opening experience. Seeing how they work and the struggles they face everyday, I had given no thought about it before. I'm really glad I took this job. The job is freelance where you fill out invoices and send them through email. You read and write for students, while they are in class and outside of class. Scheduling is up to you and the students. I've helped three students and they've been very nice to work with. I recommend this job honestly! Pay is decent and I got a raise after working two months.

Pros

Very flexible schedule, students are great to work with, easy job, freelance

Cons

Short hours since you have to be with the student, paychecks only since the website to sign up for electronic deposits is really outdated

You're just a small cog in the giant NOVA machine.

Great work-life balance, two different presidents and two different re-orgs in the past few years have driven processes and work-place satisfaction into the ground. Faculty and staff are unhappy and it shows!

Okay workplace for adjuncts but needs systemic change

It goes without saying that adjuncts are not compensated fairly at any institution. Adjuncts definitely got thrown under the bus by NOVA during COVID and were not provided adequate resources to teach courses online. Adjuncts were required to take uncompensated training courses to teach classes online, and the courses themselves were poorly designed. That all said, NOVA isn't the worst place for adjuncts. There are some professional development opportunities and administration trusts adjuncts to teach courses according to their expertise. There is no upward movement and adjuncts are rarely considered when full-time positions open.

Pros

Decent workplace culture, competent leadership

Cons

Terrible compensation for the area, no opportunities for advancement

Part-time benefits were great

The part-time benefits were great at NOVA. We were given constant increases in pay. The campus closed for the winter holiday for all staff not just the instructors. Cared about the safety and security of staff/students. The hours were great for part-time employment.

Pros

Technology training

Good place to start your career

This is a good place to start a career. There are few growth opportunities but you learn the skills you need to move on to other jobs in the future in the career path you choose. Schedule is good. Flexibility is good.

My supervisor was excellent to work with.

I had a very positive experience at NOVA. The staff were all very supportive. I had a very flexible schedule which allowed me to study as a student as well as an employee.

Pros

Work/life balance. Fun environment.

Cons

I was a work study when I first started and was able to get a part job here. Great place to get connections and a great place to make friends. You will not regret it.

Overall underpaid and overworked for the area

You work really hard or learn to be rude in order to even give yourself some time to get all of your tasks done. Often, students and faculty are allowed to belittle staff, forcing staff into compassion fatigue. Overall great place if you don't interact with students because you aren't overworked. IF you are in a student facing position, you will be overworked and stressed out.

Pros

Casual Dress Code, Job Security, Tuition Assistance

Cons

Difficulty getting respect as a student facing staff member.

Alright place

Not a bad place to work at. Didn't feel like there was much room to grow or do anything else. Transition over to working remote was handled pretty well.

Good place to start working

Pay & benefitsPay was for a college entertainment level job. Its also part time so was decent for what it was.OverallThe college is a good place to start working. It gives you good exposure to the upper management of the college and provides many opertunities to meet people and gain experience.

Great place to work at.

NOVA is a great place to work at. They offer many trainings and opportunities to grow your skills. They are very in tune with current events and climate of the country. I love the diversity and inclusion they foster. The one not so good is my pay. I am underpaid, however I feel that the pay structure has gotten better since I was hired. NOVA is a great organization to work for and a wonderful school to attend.

Helpful staff and faculty with lots of professional training opportunities.

Great place to work at. The faculty and staff are very helpful and supportive of their adjuncts. Schedule is flexible and we have a lot of opportunities to teach in different settings.

Pros

Free training online

Staff is super friendly

Great place to work at, everyone works as a team and treat each other nicely. If you ever don't understand anything they have your back. At the same time they don't hold your hand through everything and make you figure out your issues on your own.

Giving to the community; Supporting students from around the world

Workforce Development; ACLI - American Culture and language institute. advising students and adults for ESL (Speaking & Writing) Assisting the students was very rewarding

fun and innovative place

you spend most of your time with friendly staff and faculty. big organization gives you the feeling of being part of the bigger purpose. great place to learn new things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Virginia Community College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Northern Virginia Community College with

• Northern Virginia Community College
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?