Northshore School District

Northshore School District Employee Reviews

United States48 reviews
First-year teachers are assigned a mentor teacher, who observes and advises in a non-evaluation capacity. Curriculum is provided in most cases, and support from administrators have been great.
I love working in this district. The professionals here are inspiring and I learn from them every day. The schools I work in feel like a family. One definitely has a sense of belonging and feeling like you are part of something bigger.
Having worked in various situations for the district the main thing I've seen as a track coach and a music intern is passion. For all the situations I was in there is always a drive for improvement and an atmosphere to foster learning and healthy competition.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
You can work as much or as little as you like. Office support is fantastic. Sometimes joining a crew at various schools is uncomfortable, as they have been working together for many years, and you are an outsider. Other than that, it's fine.
Managers are angry all the time. Split shift is a hard day. Typically I was out of my house for 12 hours a day but worked less than 7 hours a day. Tough on your body
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
The people I worked with at Northshore School District were some of the most reasonable and friendly people I have ever met. I would encourage anyone who was thinking about seeking a job at NSD.
A passive/aggressive environment where your professionalism seems to be constantly called into question. The work day starts early at 7:05. It is difficult to find time to fit your required 15 minute break in two times a day which means they never happen. The hardest part of the job is dealing with students who choose not to work..
Avoid this district, terrible group of people
Working there. Not supportive, competitive, any other district better. Nasty administrators and other teachers are difficult and competitive.
Pros
Cons
Awful
I had a great experience working for Northshore! The staff was friendly and fun but it also challenged me professionally. If you have a desire to help students with disabilities, then this is the district to work for.
Public School district pre-k-12th grade. Worked as a substitute paraeducator. Always have work available everyday. as a substitute you do not receive benefits.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Northshore School District?
NSD is a great place to work. The staff is friendly and willing to work with you. The students are great too. Each school is different as it is a large district but it is a great community.
they post jobs that are no longer available. then send you a note to fill out their full application. but your not considered.
THEN, they send a request to your reference.

BUT your not getting an interview.

their response?

for me to call my references to tell them not to respond.

HOW CRAZY IS THIS?

WORST PART, THE PEOPLE MANAGING IT DON'T SEE IT AS A PROBLEM.

YOU DONT CONTACT REFERENCES FOR PEOPLE WHO AREN'T SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR JOB.

THE REFERALLS ARE TIME CONSUMING AND ARE MEANT FOR REAL JOBS.

SHOWS ME WHO THEY ARE. DON'T WORK HERE
This is an awesome job for a stay at home mom or retiree. hard to make a living with all the off time due to school schedule. Lots of half days and summers off
Pros
family friendly
Very welcoming and team-based work structure. Great place to work and was as good of a first job that I could ask for. I wish I could have worked there for longer than a summer before going back to school.
Northshore has an amazing amount of great staff. The student body is more diverse across the district than most realize. The building cultures were warm and welcoming, and there is a great deal of support at the district level.

I was very happy at all the schools.
Pros
Warm and welcoming district, across the board
Cons
Can be tough to get a continuing contract due to the competitiveness
There is a lot of job security in this position but it is possible to have a principal who is not qualified for management and that makes doing your job, which involves so many facets, difficult to complete.
Great place to work. Nice people to work with. Management very helpful and the training is excellent. I would recommend this job to people that have kids in school or retired.
Pros
Great management
Lots of communicating and working with another. It's a great area to build friendships and gain experience whether the job is temporary or long term.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
pay
Good job for a stay at home mom or retired person wishing to work a few days a week. Some of the regular staff are friendlier than others. If you haven't worked there for a long time, you definitely feel like an outsider.
Pros
Short work shift
Cons
Fitting in with exisiting staff
NSD was my long-term internship while I completed my bachelor's degree. I was hands-on with VM servers and machines. I recommend this to anyone working on a degree. I worked on Linux and Windows and learned the ins and outs of a medium sized system while performing the duties of a Systems Administrator.
Pros
Many good people and a lot of delicious pot luck lunches.
Cons
you work hard and they can be strict as it is a school system
The people I worked with were nice, the manager was competent, but leadership was often out of touch with the needs of the staff. Pay rate was so low that they failed to attract a large number of staff, which made it possible for underperforming workers to keep their jobs for too long,
Pros
Working there as parent of school age children
Cons
under appreciated and under compensated
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northshore School District. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Northshore School District Reviews by Location