NorthShore University HealthSystem Employee Reviews

Good employer on the North Shore
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 2, 2018
The work culture is friendly and the coworkers don’t mind pitching in to help one another. The benefits are good and there is a 401k that the employer matches. There is no paternity leave. And if you leave you get to cash in unused vacation and personal time. The dental benefits are not that good, but the medical benefits are great. They also have a wellness program that employees can participate in and earn up to $300 extra dollars per year in addition to the yearly salary. Also they have a free botanical gardens parking deal. I would recommend friends and family to work at NorthShore.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
No paternity leave and not so good dental benefits
Good place to start a career in the medical field
Patient Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILFebruary 6, 2019
I worked at the Niles location. Everyone there was really nice and friendly! NSU has a lot great benefits and discounts on traveling, cell plans and so much more! This is a great place to start your medical career! And keep going!
Pros
Flexible schedule, employee discounts
Cons
Lazy co workers
Great enviroment
OMA (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 21, 2018
NorthShore is a great company to work for, offer alot of room for advancement. Training is always provided which is nice benefits, time off. All great things NorthShore offers.
Pros
Paid time off benefits hours
Regional healthcare organization with teaching affiliation with University of Chicago
Emergency Preparedness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, ILJuly 17, 2018
Regional healthcare organization with a teaching affiliation with the University of Chicago Medicine. Offers solid benefits, compensation on the mid/low end for equivalent experience elsewhere.
Excellent place to work
Coding Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 12, 2018
I love working for NorthShore University HealthSystem. Management is amazing and I love how they offer opportunities for advancement. They offer flexible work hours and a good benefit package. They encourage teamwork and a healthy lifestyle by offering a wellness program with incentives.
Pros
Flexible work hours is the best pro
Outstanding Organization
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMay 23, 2018
Top caliber health system. Inclusive, collaborative, and supportive workplace culture. Strong mentorship and career development programs and organizational commitment. Patient-centered culture and market-leading associate benefits and compensation.
Good location,fast paced,excellent benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 23, 2018
Friendly fast pace call center, increased my medical terminology and learned medical codes while scheduling appointments,procedures and reviewing physician orders for accuracy. Learned HIPPA standard and the importance of maintaining and verifying patients information for accuracy, that would result in on time billing. Learned that listening skillfully would produce great results and rewards. I enjoyed my work experience at Northshore Unversity.
Pros
Friendly, opportunity for advancement, benefits
Horrible Management for patient access
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILOctober 12, 2018
The Managers are Horiible i could just sue this company for the Hostile environment they allow there arrogant managers to run. They are rude to their patient access reps and very arrogant to be a call center manager. They dont give you a chance and will fire you for 3 mistakes. No job security
Pros
Breaks. Pay. Cafeteria.
Cons
Horrible management
Culture of Diversity & Inclusion
Senior Coding Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILOctober 3, 2018
During my time with NorthShore, I was able to learn and advance my Medical coding skills via my peers & Manager. The environment was friendly, respectful and with a good team attitude. I felt I was very productive & an asset to the Coding Department team while there. I would without a doubt work for NorthShore again in the future if I were to move back to Illinois some day.
Pros
Supportive & Informative coding management team
Cons
Pay was a little below the average pay scale for the area
Draining and Stressful unit to work on.
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 11, 2018
Working on the Stroke unit is stressful, Management will not be concerned about your wellness of the job. Nurses do not help PCTs at all, The hardest part of the job is when you are assigned 3 nurses and all 3 of them is telling you to do small task at once, when they are capable of doing those task as well. It can get very overwhelming if you do not work as a team. On the brighter side the Patients are nice.

Want to know more about NorthShore University HealthSystem?

Ask a question
I love working with doctors and co-workers we all would joke or say somthing to make all of us laugh because we seen 200 paients a day,I love to help
Certfied Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, IL 60031November 25, 2018
I'm a fast learner I like things to be done correctly,I'm a people person and try to solve problems ,I sing in a Gospel Choir and I love it, I was dx with Lupus in 2008 well year's went by I was unable to keep due to pain and other medical issues, my doctor took me off and he did my papers and I'm on disability now, I'm still able to work part time
Pros
30 minutes lunch
Cons
15 minuts break
Great employer, only issue being salary versus cost of living in area
Senior Specialist, Laboratory Outreach Services (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 29, 2018
NorthShore is very much divided by departments, with some interacting across the entire system and others remaining isolated per site. I am only qualified to comment on our department, which does reach throughout both the hospital and medical group networks.
However, I will say that we have a great team and it has been one of the most supportive, educational, and fun work experiences which I have ever had. The only problem is that most of the NorthShore hospitals, Evanston, Highland Park, Skokie, and Glenbrook, are located in suburban neighborhoods with relatively high costs of living, and the hourly/annual salaries do not necessarily reflect that. So you are faced with either a long commute from somewhere in the city or one of the outer suburbs, or living on the lower end of the wage scale within the area.
Not a good place to work if you’re not management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 26, 2017
Lower level jobs suck. Management always wins. If you try to go to HR they will take management’s side every time. Not much room for advancement. They rarely support their employees.
Benefits
Nice job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
Love working there good pay in great management they’re very open about helping you with problems in your life in if you need more hours. Easy job to do
A good hospital system that includes research to further advance treatments.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 11, 2018
A good hospital system that has great research programs which help further the advancement for patient health and treatments. There are incentives and programs which allows employees to broaden their careers.
Pros
Free themed lunches/dinners, tuition reimbursement, employee help programs
Fun place to work
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 19, 2019
A really nice place to work and the area is a very secure for employees and patients, family and friends very clean environment for everyone even though it's a hospital it's a hazard free place.
Poor management breeds consistently low employee morale
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 26, 2017
This review is regarding inpatient pharmacy only. Management doesn't care about its employees at all and makes it clear that you're easily replaceable. Employee morale is consistently low and people aren't motivated to do their best work. Work-life balance is another weak aspect, but management doesn't bother to put in any effort to change anything because they don't have to work the challenging and undesirable shifts. You're just told that this is how things have always been done OR it will no longer be done a certain way that was approved in the past depending on what's convenient for them (very inconsistent and unfair). Many people are interested in seeking positions elsewhere and turnover is very high, especially for technicians. On the positive side, the health system itself is good and patients receive excellent care from our staff.
Pros
Advanced technology, good patient care
Cons
Terrible management, very poor work-life balance, low salary compared to other hospitals
Good Company, Horrible Management
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee) –  SkokieApril 13, 2014
Northshore is a company with great benefits. Even if part time, working 20+ hours a week is benefits eligible. However, management here is terrible. As PAR, I had trouble with one particular manager. The work culture here is also very strict, clocking-in is taken very seriously and your work-life balance may suffer.

They do provide intensive paid training, which was very beneficial for your job function. The job itself is not so bad, but can be stressful taking call after call, but is everything it is in the job description.

I would recommend this company, but only if you don't mind tough managers and a strict job culture.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks, bad management
Not a long term opportunity
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 8, 2016
North Shore has awesome benefits and pretty good compensation. However as a patient access rep., you are part of an assembly line, you can take 60+ calls a day with few to no break in between. Management will go above and beyond to point out every single one of your mistakes, but you will hear nothing when it comes to something that you did well. Patients are often frustrated with the call handling protocol, due to the call center system. The staff has no support from management and therefore, the company culture, at least in the PAC, is very miserable. There is a HUGE turn around rate, which I even noticed during my training, it was then that I should have ran for the hills. You can find the same benefits and compensation else where, don't waste your time or energy on this place-its not worth your happiness.
Great group of employees but anyone that had a title didn't know who the heck you were nor did they care to
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 18, 2014
I was content with Northshore until everything started changing that didn't make sense and that's when employee morale went downhill. Most employees I knew weren't happy with management, the staff I worked with were overwhelmed and this is just the front desk! Everything is about money, how much you can collect and how much you can bring in through harassing them to come in when they don't need to or can't. You're just a number, they don't care about you. NS went through a workforce reduction but employees had the option to look elsewhere within, why the didn't they just suggest other job positions? They make it hard for you to advance to other opportunities.
Pros
Location, some staff, pay, if you were really good at your job
Cons
Benefits overpriced, made it seem like it didn't get a raise. Management, only treated you nice to get the best out of you otherwise they don't care