NorthShore University HealthSystem Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Not a good work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILOctober 23, 2017
Northshore is an okay for your first job. Learn as much as you can, then start looking for a better job. Manage is cut throat. They will Lie, and it will come down to your word vs theirs. HR will ALWAYS side with management. Even if you're right, you're
wrong. Favoritism is so ingrained in this organization, words can not discribe. I worked in Glenbrook, as a registered nurse.
Pros
Most doctors
Cons
Management!!! No question, Awful
Great experience and amazing learning environment
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 10, 2015
I currently work as an RN on a Medical-surgical/stroke unit. We have many different types of patients on our floor. I have learned so much in the past 6 months. Although many of the patients on the unit are complicated patients, it is a great learning environment. I learn new things everyday and am so thankful for the experience. My co-workers are very friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of the job is that being a new graduate, sometimes I get underestimated. I am an extremely hard worker and I do my absolute best to make sure my patients are well taken care of and I provide a good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the smile on a patient's face when they realize they are in good hands. It is very touching to hear a patient compliment you and know that I am here to take good care of them.
Pros
Getting underestimated as a new graduate
Cons
Great learning environment and great co-workers
RN (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ilAugust 19, 2015
Working at NorthShore University Healthsystem is a great place to work. With good nurses, doctors, residents and medical students this helps make a great team to be a part of. My co-workers are very helpful and also are team players to get the job done. The hardest part of my job is sometime not being able to stay with my patients through their deliveries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to witness life being brought into the word.
Educational and interesting
GI Lab Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, ILMarch 27, 2015
Everyday is new and exciting. Will I be administering a pillcam, giving sedation, assisting in G-Tube placement, or charting biopsies? Many days it's all of these things!
Teamwork is key in the GI Lab as we all have our specific roles ---nurse, tech, and manager ---we all need to work together to achieve the best outcome for our patients.
My GI Lab has won Patient Loyalty Awards --- I am proud to say that I work for NorthShore University HealthSystem.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Being on call
Look Elsewhere
RN (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 25, 2012
The management is awful here--there is such a top-down mentality that it absolutely leaves me infuriated some days. I've never considered changing my profession till I came to this hospital. The staff go to work to put in their hours and leave. The middle management is so thrilled at their power, that they don't encourage continued education or advancement. The uniforms given are of poor quality, yet mandatory. There is so much unnecessary red tape for even the simplest things, it honestly makes me sick. This hospital is one big facade for the patients. I was truly disappointed.
Pros
12 hour shifts
Cons
poor attitudes, power-hungry managers, red-tape, top-down mentality, sub-par benefits.