NorthShore University HealthSystem Employee Reviews for Support Associate

Great people
Patient Support Associate, Cardiology (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJune 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my day is dealing with the patients. I love to interact with them and listen to their stories. I feel that my co-workers and I work well together to achieve a common goal, patient care.
Great Environment and Friendly staff
Patient Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILJanuary 19, 2016
I was used as a "dummie" for approval of a new position. I worked as an assistant resident coordinator for 3 years with the company. I never was given a corrective action, or disciplined for not doing a job well done. I was overworked and under paid, but I loved the job and loved working with the Residents at the clinic. I applied for the position once it was approved and was verbally told it was mine, because I have been doing it for 3 years and no problems had occurred. Needless to say the job was given to an outside candidate. I was disappointed and was assigned the role of registering and checking in patients at the front desk. That made me realize I am very outgoing and social. My customer service skills paid off, I am awarded awards of achievements given my patients, stating my "friendly smile and willingness to help refill meds and problem solve keeps them coming back to clinic".
So, something that I thought would devastated me, actually helped me value other skills I couldn't utilize in a closed space by myself.
Pros
The staff our wonderful, I love putting a smile on sick patient's faces, flexibility with the hours and days of work.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement or growth, ideas are thrown out and not encouraged, lack of personable skills from management.
Fast patient upbeat environment
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 14, 2015
This was a fast paced up beat office. I worked with many physicians of many backgrounds. In this role the ability to multi-task and switch roles was very mandatory and worked effectively for this environment.
Unhealthy work environment
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 26, 2015
Working for the medical group, as opposed to working for any other department at NorthShore, has not been a good experience.

The turnover rate is high for employees, as well as management.

There's no cooperation/communication between staff/managers.

Workflows are constantly changed.

Some managers do play favorites, while others don't even acknowledge the presence of their employees.

There's just a lot of unnecessary tension.

Corrective actions/Write ups are doled out when they aren't warranted.

I would not recommend applying to the medical group, if you're looking for something long term. Any other department, would be a better option.
Great group of employees but anyone that had a title didn't know who the heck you were nor did they care to
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 18, 2014
I was content with Northshore until everything started changing that didn't make sense and that's when employee morale went downhill. Most employees I knew weren't happy with management, the staff I worked with were overwhelmed and this is just the front desk! Everything is about money, how much you can collect and how much you can bring in through harassing them to come in when they don't need to or can't. You're just a number, they don't care about you. NS went through a workforce reduction but employees had the option to look elsewhere within, why the didn't they just suggest other job positions? They make it hard for you to advance to other opportunities.
Pros
Location, some staff, pay, if you were really good at your job
Cons
Benefits overpriced, made it seem like it didn't get a raise. Management, only treated you nice to get the best out of you otherwise they don't care
Productive and fun work envirnoment
Patient Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2014
I learned how to utilize the EPIC System. The doctors and nurses are very patient with the schedulers, they are willing to teach you every aspect of the office. My supervisor and co-workers are always willing to assist. The hardest part of the job was learning the EPIC System. I love my job and I am glad that they hired me.
Good company bad management
Patient support associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston hospitalJune 15, 2013
Work is made very difficult because of demands of management. There were many problems and HHIPA violations. Patients were overbooked and had to wait sometimes over an hour. Although most co-workers were nice a few coworkers were uncooperative, nasty and difficult to work with. Management was unprofessional and motivated employees through fear. Extremely difficult to get any time off and sick days were questioned. There are good departments at Northshore university healthsystem to work for but run from this department.
Pros
Being able to help co-workers, patients and Drs.
Cons
Not allowed time off, poor management, horrible coworkers

Comment – June 6, 2014

Fellow coworker accessed my medical records thus violating HIPPA. She also share medical and medication information with my fellow coworkers.

Comment – August 30, 2014

Practice Manager viewed my private Medical records violating Privacy law.

Easy to do job
Patient Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Glenview & Bannockburn, ILMarch 7, 2012
This job is easy to do, and doesn't require lots of skill, but does need lots of customer service to the patients.
Pros
free lunch, close to home
Cons
little advancement opportunities