Northside Independent School District

Youth Leader15 reviews
United States15 reviews

northsideteacherstudentdistrictkidschoolchildsubstitute

Love it

I love working for NISD. Staff is really supportive and encourages you to succeed. The hiring process is fairly quick but it depends on when you apply.

Best experience could ask for

The children you work with will impact you for the rest of your life. You will meet some of the most amazing kids. You will constantly be on your toes. They may drive you crazy at times but you will have endless love for the kids.

Northside Independent School District insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose

I teach kids to understand

My job is very friendly with employees and students as well with getting along with parents to connect what’s been going on around school and in class.

Youth leader/ teacher

Amazing children to work with the employees were also very fun to work with. Constant team work was involved, work and play went hand in hand. Managers were also very cooperative and helpful. Some children were difficult to discipline but nothing ever got out of hand, mostly all behaved children. I learned how patient and caring i truly am and i also mastered being authoritative while also being fun!

Fun working with kids

Learning Tree is great because you get to work with kids. One thing I hated was how set and structured they expect the kids to be after an 8 hour day at school. Most site leaders are expected to micromanage the youth leaders, which makes for an awkward and unsupportive work environment. Another thing is the lack of respect the program recieves from the hosting campus. Learning Tree is a good stepping stone and experience, if you plan to be a teacher, or work full time with kids.

Pros

Working with kids.

Cons

No benefits, low pay, lack of support

Fun Workplace - Perfect for College Students

Great place to work if you like working with elementary school students. Perfect schedule for a college student looking to make some money. Unfortunately it is more of seasonal work, therefore no paid vacation days are given.

Summary

I enjoy position but I would not like to continue working in the position with a Bachelor's degree. I would love to further my career with NISD's Learning Tree After-School Program in a higher position.

Overall enjoyable

you are given a classroom of students, and are given a strict schedule to follow. the most difficult part is trying to fit everything that they want you to teach the children in such a short amount of time.

Cons

strict rules

Relaxed but Fast-Paced Job

I would have to say that this position has been the best position I have had thus far, in terms of part-time and pay. Though I didn't quite like the 'workplace culture', I did enjoy the time spent with my co-workers and the children. That said, you certainly learn a ton while working for Learning Tree; I myself learned not only how to assist and guide children, but too how to relate and work with them. Working with K-5 pushed me to relearn and exhibit high levels of patience and compassion - and in a positive manner. I loved my time with the kids, and I found the staff of Learning Tree to be enjoyable and insightful. I also received my First Aid license under NISD/Learning Tree for free.

Pros

Free Trainings, Learning Experiences, References

Fun working Environment

Working with Northside Independent School District as a Youth Leader was a great experience. I learned a lot from the kids. I would recommend anyone who wants to work with kids to work with learning tree.

Pros

Great Staff

Cons

Low Pay

Best job ever.

Probably one of the most best jobs I have ever had. The one thing I love was show my manager showed companionship with everyone and proved to be a great mentor.

Pros

Get to be around kids all day.

Cons

N/a

Productive and fun work place. Perfect job for young college kids.

This job has been great while I am going through college. It fits with my school schedule. The kids are well behaved and respectful. Co workers are nice and professional. Boss is nice and professional. Cleaning up is my least favorite part of the job, but it's not hard at all. Being around the kids and interacting with them everyday is the best part in my opinion.

Pros

Works with my college schedule.

Cons

No benifits.

Fun Environment, Great Training

Great district to work for, provides adequate training. It is a part time job and you work with the school schedule, so holidays you have off. Unfortunately you do not get paid for it.

Cons

seasonal

Great workplace with positive culture. Controlling and disciplining students can be challenging. Management is very supportive and mentoring.

A typical day of work starts with the end of the school day, the students check into the after school program, then are transitioned outdoors for an active health oriented curriculum called CATCH (mostly games), after that we transition back indoors and distribute a snack. When snack is done we go to a class room and let them do their homework while we provide tutoring if necessary. When homework time is up we teach our curriculum. After that we give them outdoor recreation time. All the while parents are checking their children out and the class size dwindles. Managers are awesome and very helpful.

Very good program to work for, just limited on hours

Learning Tree after school care is a great after school program to work for. A typical day would consist of helping students with homework and then teaching a provided lesson all while having to deal with issues that arise throughout the program, I worked with 4th and 5th graders. The way that management works is that there is a specialist that has about 4 to 5 school, then a site leader which is at each of the schools. Both persons support the actions that you take with the class, whether is be a behavioral or a academic action. The hardest part of the job was not knowing how the students were going to act, it changed day to day. The most enjoyable part was that you could see the students grow and mature throughout the year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northside Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits