NorthStar Home Employee Reviews

Stuck in a cubicle, on the phone, go elsewhere
Tech Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 26, 2018
I've worked in TS for two years now and I can honestly say quitting is a wise decision. You will spend your day in a cubicle staring at the screen waiting until the next call comes in. You have to push product and find ways to avoid giving the customer a physical visit to help them. Management is under qualified and it reminds me of a substitute teacher. Tech support was the most poorly ran department I have ever been a part of and I routinely questioned the seriousness of our bosses. I would recommend any temp agency instead of here.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
TS management, poor communication, cubicle
Excellent leadership, challenging job, rewarding for the right person
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 7, 2018
Phenomenal leadership and culture with a real heart for service. Knocking on doors is difficult regardless of the company you work with, but Northstar pays well and offers the kind of support to help one be successful.
Stress, Sky-bells, SA
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  OremAugust 29, 2018
Call center job. Entire day is spent in a cubicle looking at a screen while explaining to customer how to fix something over the phone. Most customers are VERY tech illiterate and are unable to do something as simple as reboot a phone. This is compounded by chats we are required to take at the same time. "Juggling" calls and chats quickly become a tangled mess of information and stress. This is made worse by managment routinely yelling out for us to "wrap up" our calls and constant pressure to hit a 6 minute call. All of this results in poor customer service and high turnover rate. Many times we're told to avoid sending help to service our cheap equipment due to a technicality. I still don't feel as if we value the customer. The environment of Northstar reminds me of a pop up ad: frustrating, scammy, and targeting the gullible. In all honesty, I wouldn't work here if you're a prospective employee unless times are lean and no other options exist. Northstar pays low, less than most retail stores and is on par with fastfood. The quality of management shows this daily as we often times have problems arise from their lack of competence and organization. For example, management warned about excessive bathroom breaks and threatened to remove scheduled breaks because of it. Instead of addressing an issue, a paniced reaction is the typical solution. There's a sense that management is kind of like an overwhelmed step parent, technically in charge and minimally listened to. Some employees get their job threatened over being late while another calls in for most of a month for several months  more... (not hyperbole) without getting fired. Morale is poor at best and TS is falling apart because of it. Northstar could be better but I doubt it will be. It's understaffed, frustrating, disorganized and sometimes comicly inept. If possible, go elsewhere.  less
Pros
Free Soda, free water
Cons
Sa, management, limted bathroom breaks
miss it
Smarthome Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 25, 2018
i miss door to door sales. i loved northstar. awesome pay, room for growth, the people and the drive for success. lots of travel if you choose to, especially in summer.
Pros
flexible, pay
Cons
no insurance, 401k
There's better places
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 26, 2018
Another Call Center job. You will spend most of the day trying to get 50+ year olds how to troubleshoot equipment where they are usually not technology literate. Management is mostly nice, but very inexperienced and quite can’t get a grasp on how to run the department. When an issue arrises like increase of absences, management will “punish” the department such as making employees call the corporate number and sit and wait in a queue and ask for a supervisor to call out instead of a simple message. My main gripe with the company is the deceptive business practices that you as a tech support agent you will always have to deal with the backlash. For example: Most people who sign up with North Star so they can get this doorbell camera called "Skybell". What the customer doesn't know is that Skybell Cameras are terrible products where I have been told by supervisors and head-managers within the company admitting they are terrible products(They literally treat it like a running joke within the company). Nearly half the calls you take will be about Skybells where the customer is usually angry(because they hardly ever work) and will just be having to send a replacement most of the time. For a company to knowingly use such a terrible-product as their main selling point to potential customers shows the lack of ethics this company has. Most customers are tech illiterate and will ask for a Tech to come out and help them, we are told to avoid sending a Tech out as much as possible which further aggravates customers. If we do end up deciding to send a tech(with no troubleshooting involved),  more... we charge outrageous prices of 130$-80$ while other companies like Vivint charge less than 50$. The department is stat obsessed and will display everyones stats on a TV to show who’s good/bad at their jobs as a way of shamming. On top of everything, the company laughably pays low compared to other alarm companies and you will be bombarded with emails from angry customers and policy updates from management on a daily basis(you will have to create a work email and expected to check your emails constantly). Tech Support is just a poorly-ran chaotic mess where you have to decide on really helping a customer or not for the sake of your stats. I would sincerely recommend other places unless you’re desperate for a job and should have no problem getting it as they literally hire anybody for Tech Support.  less
Pros
Free Drinks, Free lunches
Cons
Skybells, chaotic environment, stress
Stressful
Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 20, 2017
Typical call center environment. The company cares more about the bottom line than their employees and customers. My calls make me decide between not helping a customer like they need and hurting my stats. You often have to skip breaks because they won't let you leave your phone until the que is down. I've worked close to 7 hours before I got my break. They aren't flexible with your schedule and will not even consider changing your schedule when you ask. I prefer to help people but the there incentive to help them is non-existent because it means ruining your stats, which are used to calculate possible raises.
Pros
They pay for lunches
Cons
Look at my review
Why I am not leaving
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 24, 2017
This company has been so great! The people! The mission! The environment! I feel that in the eight months I have been there so far I have been given opportunity and the tools to grow! I am so grateful! That s why I do not plan to leave.
Self driven career with hungry atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 26, 2016
The skills learned on the job through training and actual experience will transfer into the rest of my professional career. I had to opportunity to connect with 1000's of people from difference socioeconomic backgrounds, which improved my communication skills greatly. I was able to learn and apply multiple closing techniques for a multitude of situations. The work days were very long and demanding and the pay was 100% based, meaning that I had to be very self motivated in order to be successful
Pros
Great experience, training, and atmostphere
Cons
poor life/work balance
NorthStar Home is a fun dynamic company
Advertising Director (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 17, 2014
I would recommend working for Northstar Home to anyone in or coming into the alarm industry. I have worked for two years in their back office as well as in the field for two years. their training is great and their benefits are antiquate.
Pros
Self Managed, Incentive Driven, Growing Company
Cons
Slow to Change, Back office can be out of touch, Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NorthStar Home. Our community is ready to answer.

NorthStar Home Reviews by Location