NorthStar Home Employee Reviews

Stress, Sky-bells, SA
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  OremAugust 29, 2018
Call center job. Entire day is spent in a cubicle looking at a screen while explaining to customer how to fix something over the phone. Most customers are VERY tech illiterate and are unable to do something as simple as reboot a phone. This is compounded by chats we are required to take at the same time. "Juggling" calls and chats quickly become a tangled mess of information and stress. This is made worse by managment routinely yelling out for us to "wrap up" our calls and constant pressure to hit a 6 minute call. All of this results in poor customer service and high turnover rate. Many times we're told to avoid sending help to service our cheap equipment due to a technicality. I still don't feel as if we value the customer. The environment of Northstar reminds me of a pop up ad: frustrating, scammy, and targeting the gullible. In all honesty, I wouldn't work here if you're a prospective employee unless times are lean and no other options exist. Northstar pays low, less than most retail stores and is on par with fastfood. The quality of management shows this daily as we often times have problems arise from their lack of competence and organization. For example, management warned about excessive bathroom breaks and threatened to remove scheduled breaks because of it. Instead of addressing an issue, a paniced reaction is the typical solution. There's a sense that management is kind of like an overwhelmed step parent, technically in charge and minimally listened to. Some employees get their job threatened over being late while another calls in for most of a month for several months  more... (not hyperbole) without getting fired. Morale is poor at best and TS is falling apart because of it. Northstar could be better but I doubt it will be. It's understaffed, frustrating, disorganized and sometimes comicly inept. If possible, go elsewhere.  less
Pros
Free Soda, free water
Cons
Sa, management, limted bathroom breaks
Excellent leadership, challenging job, rewarding for the right person
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 7, 2018
Phenomenal leadership and culture with a real heart for service. Knocking on doors is difficult regardless of the company you work with, but Northstar pays well and offers the kind of support to help one be successful.
Stuck in a cubicle, on the phone, go elsewhere
Tech Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 26, 2018
I've worked in TS for two years now and I can honestly say quitting is a wise decision. You will spend your day in a cubicle staring at the screen waiting until the next call comes in. You have to push product and find ways to avoid giving the customer a physical visit to help them. Management is under qualified and it reminds me of a substitute teacher. Tech support was the most poorly ran department I have ever been a part of and I routinely questioned the seriousness of our bosses. I would recommend any temp agency instead of here.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
TS management, poor communication, cubicle
miss it
Smarthome Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 25, 2018
i miss door to door sales. i loved northstar. awesome pay, room for growth, the people and the drive for success. lots of travel if you choose to, especially in summer.
Pros
flexible, pay
Cons
no insurance, 401k
Why I am not leaving
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 24, 2017
This company has been so great! The people! The mission! The environment! I feel that in the eight months I have been there so far I have been given opportunity and the tools to grow! I am so grateful! That s why I do not plan to leave.
Stressful
Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 20, 2017
Typical call center environment. The company cares more about the bottom line than their employees and customers. My calls make me decide between not helping a customer like they need and hurting my stats. You often have to skip breaks because they won't let you leave your phone until the que is down. I've worked close to 7 hours before I got my break. They aren't flexible with your schedule and will not even consider changing your schedule when you ask. I prefer to help people but the there incentive to help them is non-existent because it means ruining your stats, which are used to calculate possible raises.
Pros
They pay for lunches
Cons
Look at my review
NorthStar Home is a fun dynamic company
Advertising Director (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 17, 2014
I would recommend working for Northstar Home to anyone in or coming into the alarm industry. I have worked for two years in their back office as well as in the field for two years. their training is great and their benefits are antiquate.
Pros
Self Managed, Incentive Driven, Growing Company
Cons
Slow to Change, Back office can be out of touch, Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NorthStar Home. Our community is ready to answer.

NorthStar Home Reviews by Location