NorthStar Memorial Group Employee Reviews

Not Transparent
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 24, 2018
Very behind the scene management tactics.
Sales is the only thing that matters
Very deceitful management
"Good ole boy" Mentality
Found it to be very difficult to perform my position duties as I was required to to do other position duties on a regular basis, while the others did nothing,
Very segregated atmosphere, constant favoritism, very stifling.
Pros
Generous PTO time
Cons
Very clicky
Could be a great place to work, if you're not in IT
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2018
The overall lack of policies & procedures facilitates the perfect recipe for disaster to work in IT for this company. There have been 14+ Network Admins in 4 years, 6+ in just one year because of the poor management, expectations, clearly defined policies and procedures, and most importantly time to work on what you are hired to work on—which wasn’t Help-Desk level network troubleshooting because of a lack of proper troubleshooting.

There is no formal training on processes or *single* repository for information, let alone a clear path of where you are in a project vs where you are going, it's scattered over emails and OneDrive repositories that have been archived from ex-employees, that you have to dig through, and documents dropped in Teams Channels in File tabs, etc. There is no current Project Management software in place, projects are “managed” in excel charts and documents.

With 86+ locations, it is imperative that phone systems, network diagrams, and security systems are up to date for all locations, so you can functionally troubleshoot issues internally, without needing some “Craigslist field tech” to assist which is a roll of the dice whether they know what they are doing and can operate their own computer let alone assist in resolving the issue they showed up for. Due to the aforementioned, a lack of information on location system components, etc. ALL projects have unrealistic deadlines and poor track record for finding out information when things are dumped on you—it will happen—or getting into things for the first time. Things that should take 30 – 60 minutes
  more... can take up to 4 hours because of the random people you get to work with to complete tasks. No formal onboarding or training, my IT training was still not complete after almost 3 months with the company because people didn’t have time—me included—as I was always going from fire to fire. Many people are looking for an out, skip the career in IT here if you know what’s good for you, you’ll kick yourself for not heeding the warning if you don’t.  less
Pros
The team members in IT (Workers) have the patience of an OX and are great people to work with, anything outside of that I cannot honestly say. Benefits are mediocre compared to what is out there, unless you count what you will save burying the ones you love, literally--it's their business model.
Cons
More than I can list here that isn't covered in the review. They don't run LEAN IT staff, they run understaffed in IT.
Dream Job
Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
Great company culture. Leadership encourages employees to share their ideas and are dedicated to making NorthStar a company where employees feel just as valued as the people and families we help. They pay employees well and are quick to reward a job well done. Being able to have a great career while also working in a compassionate industry is what I've always wanted.
Pros
Great culture, open-minded & caring leaders, good compensation
Cons
Could be a little more structured but low-bureaucracy is part of the culture here.
Excellent working environment, chance to advance in the company
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLAugust 12, 2018
Great working environment, they give you the right tools to perform your job, has the opportunity to grow in the company, they take care of their employees
Pros
Benefits, good atmosphere
Cons
They give you second chance, depends on who is the person
Opportunity to start in the industry
Funeral Director and Embalmer (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 25, 2018
A good company for people just starting out or those who do not have the ambition to grow. Not ideal for those with talent/ experience or looking to excel in the in company.
Pros
structured
Cons
glass ceiling.
Great Place to work
Contract - HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working with the North Star Group. The management and the employees were all very nice and easy to talk too. My assignment was very short but I enjoyed working with all of them.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
No Cons
Lack of necessary components to function as it should.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 19, 2018
A typical day at work is chaotic and disorganized.

I gained a lot of administrative knowledge.

Management needs improvement. Student is only as good as its Teacher. Lead by example... Extreme Ownership.

Culture of workplace is very negative and unhealthy.

The hardest part of the job is by far the lack of team work and communication.

The most enjoyable part of the job is serving families in their most vulnerable time.
Pros
Serving Families
Cons
Cost of Healthcare, Salary, Management
Be prepared to starve
Cemetery Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 4, 2018
Potentially this could be a great place to work but it takes a long time to build your pipeline. It takes three weeks to get paid and this will be a paper check not direct deposit.
The general sales manager worked previously as a used car salesman and uses these types of tactics to motivate the crew.
Overall the sales manager at my location was fantastic but he had to adhere to the general manger's direction.
Plan on working 6 months to a year to build your business. Additionally much of your commission is kept by the company for charge backs and perpetual care fees.
Pros
Competively Priced
Cons
Long time for money to come in, expensive health insurance, grounds are unkept
People were great
Human Resources Coordinator (contract) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2018
This was a contract position I was nearly promised full-time employment but never got it. Was released early when Perm Employee returned. I enjoyed my time there.
Culture is Brutal
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2018
There's no giving an opinion or forming your own thought. It's the boss' way or no way. Felt penalized for wanting to work, add input, making changes. Felt expectations were to sit and await instructions, even though I was in a management position.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No creative thinking allowed
Collaborative and Fun
Assistant to General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Days began with an all site huddle to gather the troops and get on thr same page. We celebrated, planned and encouraged one another for the day ahead.
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
Far from places to eat
IT management is very poor.
Network & System Admin (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2017
8 network Admins in 4 months because 1) NO documentations on procedures, 2) IT management has the network their head, and does not reveal information. You have to pull teeth constantly to get anything done.
Pros
pay
Cons
management needs to change
Can Be Great, but Not Easy
Sales Counselor (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 24, 2017
This is never anything I thought I would, but now, I can't imagine doing anything different. This career/industry is full of compassionate people, or maybe it is just the people I work with. Typical day starts around 8:30 if you are in "rotation". You help families make funeral and cemetery arrangements for their ones who have passed or helping them make arrangements ahead of time. It can very draining helping grieving families, there are some tough days. Mostly though, I find it very rewarding, both emotionally and financially. You have to care for other people and truly want to make a difference in their lives. My coworkers are great, yeah, we fight like family sometimes, but that is because we are close. The management team is super supportive, maybe a little reactionary at times. I know that if I need anything to serve a family, they will and have come through for me. The hardest part of the job is all the paperwork. There are a lot of forms and everything must be filled out properly. The thing that I enjoy the most is helping families and knowing that I am making a difference. Helping them by making pre-arrangements for themselves so their loved ones won't have to be burdened with it or guiding them through the process once a loved has passed away. It is an awesome responsibility and I have never worked at a place that has cared so much for their customers or their employees. We frequently get appreciation lunches, gift cards or even hand written thank yous.
Pros
People I work with and helping families
Cons
Can be some long hours
NorthStar
Crematory Operator (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 9, 2017
The pay was unreasonable. It was long hours with little pay. I learned how to cremate. The work place culture was unfriendly. The hardest part of the job was that even though I would go above and beyond it went unrecognized.
If you take care of NorthStar - NorthStar will take care of you.
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 14, 2017
They reward loyalty and hard work. They expect a lot, but give a lot. My experience has been very positive, I only wish I had this opportunity at the beginning of my career as a funeral director, but the company is only 13 years old and not around back then. I would never hesitate to tell someone to take a job here, it will bless their lives. I am suspect of the negative comments from others and surmise that they probably didn't have the work ethic, or positive attitude required to be very successful at NorthStar.
Pros
Loyalty, Transparency, Training surrounded by the best of the best.
Cons
Staffing is always lean.
Mediocre
Family Services Counselor (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMay 9, 2017
Administrative operations are lacking and outdated. The culture is positive. The work is important and personally gratifying, however the compensation is dated and insecure. Potential exists if you put in a tremendous amount of time, which depletes family and personal life; even so the potential is dependent partly on luck and partly on the innovation of the organization, which is mediocre at best.
Pros
positive work environment, important work
Cons
family/work balance seriously tipped in favor of work.
Sales
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  RestlandApril 9, 2017
Lack of leadership and advancement. 100% commission based and first couple years income of $40-50k is more realistic than $100k. Out Bound prospecting is a daily requirement. Some managers can get away with anything and lacks morals.
Pros
Helping people. Opportunity to make large weekly incomes.
Cons
Everything that is not a Pro above.
Smoke & Mirrors
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2017
I came in as a manager for the corporate office and was quickly swept off my feet. There were lots of "great jobs" and "keep it up, you're doing great" mentions for a few months, but at the same time there wasn't much of the same as a whole division.

I noticed 6 months in that communication on almost all levels of my division were last minute, making it hard to plan and hard to perform, yet somehow, it was easy to point the finger to the problems since everyone in my small division that moved on had the same point-of-view to what needed to change.

There lacked structure, team communication, working as a group (and remaining a group when things go wrong), and trust. No one in my division knew what other projects were going on except their own. There were barely team meetings, except when something was wrong, or due the next day and needed assigning.

Benefits were almost double what I paid for my family at other companies, including incentives/discounts, which added to the disappointment.

For those that are applying, carefully consider the team you could be working with. Look for structure, cohesion, experts vs non-experts vs those that think they are experts, and pay attention to tenure of the leaders vs their team. Also look at the benefit package up front.
Pros
monthly company internal events
Cons
bad communication, lack of cohesiveness, cliques atmosphere, last minute everything
Good Company to work for
Bilingual Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2016
They treated their employees well and the environment to work in was fun as well. Management worked really well us. It was my first attempt at collections and I learned a lot
It's a tough gig, but worth it.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 27, 2016
I've worked at different cemeteries, and this place is legit. They are upfront with the fact that this is some of the most challenging experiences that you'll face while helping others at a difficult time. This role will let you know exactly where your customer service skills are at

Is it a difficult job? One of the most challenging I've had.
Is it worth it? You get what you put into it. I do my best everyday and the rewards are there for doing so. I come back each day BECAUSE every day brings a new experience!
Pros
Spontaneous lunches, recognition for providing great service, management listens to concerns and ideas.
Cons
People are settling for second best when they don't utilize the services offered here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NorthStar Memorial Group. Our community is ready to answer.