Northwell Health Employee Reviews

Fast-paced organization to work for
Intake Scheduler (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
Work begins from the moment you walk through the door . This is a really fast-paced environment . The great thing about working here is that every one is here for the main goal - the patients .
Pros
Family-like atmosphere
Cons
Treatment from management
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NYJanuary 17, 2019
Strong mission and vision. For the most part, a good place to work, all depends on your director. Staff dedicated to giving best quality care. CEO is great.
Corporate
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Great Place to work and grow. Politics like everywhere. Wide range to learn through Northwell's Center for Learning. Northwell provides tuition assistance. Like any career finding the right team is critical to your success. Work Hard and Be willing to ask for help!
Pros
work life balance
Cons
benefits- poor maternity leave
Exceptional work experience
Staffing/Scheduling Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Management provides employees with necessary tools to help do their jobs efficiently. This is a place wherein employees total well-being is also a top priority. Employee compensations and benefits are top notch. Overall, a great company to work with.
January 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review! We are always looking for new unique ways to support our employees.

Top heavy in management positions
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYJanuary 5, 2019
I did not enjoy my time working at Northwell. The smiling faces and inspirational talks you heard and saw on the videos during the new employee Orientation were nowhere to found when I started working. Also, there is a ridiculous amount of people in management positions running a department. We need more actual workers instead of people dressed in suits deciding on what to have for lunch at 8am each morning. Also, if you aspire to get into the management clique, you better take a course on how to kiss one’s behind. As the months passed, I found myself searching for jobs on Indeed each day. Thankfully, I found another position elsewhere.
January 11, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Our leaders are helping us in our quest to define the health care industry of tomorrow, but are our employees team players made for unwavering support. Our organization is continuously changing, whether it is bringing on new hospitals/practices, coming up with refreshed values, or re-structuring our leadership teams. Be ensured that we are partnering with our leaders to ensure all of our employees are receiving the respect and support they need in order to be successful.

Facilities Manager
Corporate Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2019
The management was poor. Scheduling was always an issue. I enjoyed the work of the job but unfortunately the building was not run properly or efficiently.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
management poor
January 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we will make sure it reaches the appropriate people. Our leaders are helping us in our quest to define the health care industry of tomorrow, but our employees are team players made for unwavering support. Our organization is continuously changing, whether it is bringing on new hospitals/practices, coming up with refreshed values, or re-structuring our leadership teams. Be ensured that we are partnering with our leaders to ensure all of our employees are receiving the respect and support they need in order to be successful.

na
Recreational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sleepy Hollow, NYJanuary 4, 2019
One of the best hospitals in Westchester County for Psychiatric Population. All the patients are always happy to come to phelps. Management can be a lot better.
January 11, 2019

Thanks for your review! As Great Place to Work Certified for two years in a row, we are continuously partnering with our leaders and employees to make sure our mission, vision and values are living throughout our hospitals and facilities. To hear you’ve been directly affected by this is terrific!

Productive workplace depends on your location
Practice Office Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
It all depends on which location you work at, there are several. I was there for a few years loved my 1st location. Great co-workers, fun environment. Benefits are great, i felt like they really wanted me to succeed.

Other locations was disgraceful, supervisors, directors who ever was part of management took complete advantage. A lot of racism and favoritism. It got to the point i just had to quit because working in that environment was not helping my mentally.
Benefits
Cons
Different location, different rules a lot of favoritism
Great Place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYDecember 18, 2018
Great place to work. Lots of career Choices and room for advancement. Apply yourself and stay focused and you can grow fast and go far. Lots of networking opportunities.
January 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As New York State's largest private employer, our employees have the chance to move throughout our corporate locations, hospitals, and outpatient facilities. Thank you for dedication to our mission as a health system. We hope that you are able to continue to grab unbelievable opportunities in the future.

comfortable workplace
Clinical Dietitian (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 18, 2018
easy job not much growth for my field. friendly environment. good benefits, 403b, ptos, holiday time. fair support from admininstration. .................
Appears more professional, still waiting for changes to kick in
Director - Chemical Dependency Clinic (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYDecember 17, 2018
We are in the process of integrating with Northwell Health. In many areas, they seem to have many more people than we have had to do certain positions. This is a good thing as management has mostly had to act as cook and bottle washer. On the other hand, this gave management a real sense of what was going on in their area from top to bottom. I think Northwell brings a slightly different culture, I am happy that they appear to be very pro mental health and substance abuse treatment.

Hardest part of job is to continue to keep up with all requirements under Jacho, OMH, OASAS, etc. Seems like the paperwork keeps getting more and more and takes away from patient contact and satisfaction.

Most enjoyable part of job is seeing patients improve and benefit from our services.
Pros
helping us to stay afloat
Cons
losing paid medical benefit, distance to their headquarters
Case Manager
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYDecember 16, 2018
The day started with reconciling the census of the day with the census of the previous day. Interdisciplinary rounds were performed on all patients. Discharges of that day were completed. Insurance reviews were performed next,

I learned to prioritize and to work within the guidelines of different insurance companies and advocate for the patient.

Management was available to assist with difficult cases.

The hardest part of the job was dividing my time so that all chores were completed.

The most enjoyable part was when the patient was happy with their discharge plan.
Pros
benefits, time off
Cons
fast paced, would have like to spend more time with patients.
Productive and fun
Intern (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYDecember 12, 2018
Northwell Health provided me with an experience that I never thought was possible. Friendly and caring staff, along with instructors who will give it all to provide you with the best experience possible. Anyone looking to get into or further their skills in the healthcare setting should do it through Northwell Health!
Growth employer striving to meet patient needs.
Emergency Educator (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYDecember 11, 2018
An exceptional learning and innovation center with strong leadership and high standards for programs and quality initiatives. This is a unique center with a well earned exceptional reputation.
Support Staff
Exec. Asst. (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYDecember 11, 2018
Excellent work environment and benefits. Wonderful environment with man opportunities for advancement. The supervisors are dedicated to make your job a success at Northwell.
Productive supportive place
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 10, 2018
I worked under wonder managers unfortunately the main clerk associated with my department had a chip on her shoulder . However had I not had an accident I feel I would have won her over because here linear counterpart(who was a team player) recognized that I was a team player in and along with management was super supportive.
Project Manager and Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lake Sucess NYDecember 8, 2018
Great place to work. Need to contend with many personalities, but this is just part of the job. Focus is on the patient and care they receive and this is how it should be.
Pros
great medical and retirement benefits
Cons
heavy work load
Enjoyable
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYDecember 7, 2018
I enjoyed my stay, I was a good experience if anything I’d Change the ability to get full service I was part time a long long time, but overall good experience
I enjoyed my job and helping clients change
Clinical Staff therapist (Former Employee) –  New York StateDecember 3, 2018
Northwell did give us cost of living raise that was ended when mather was private
improved medical staff/ interns to accommodate our clients medication needs.
pace became very stressful because as an outpatient for addiction we were forced to take severely mentally ill patients our services were not able to manage.we did not have the ability or services to manage the population
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no overtime
December 8, 2018

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you did not experience the culture and values over 85% of our employees are. We have been working hard to incorporate our employee promise, mission, vision and refreshed values throughout all of our hospitals and facilities. Your feedback will be sent to the appropriate people.

Very good place to work and gain experience
Administrative Manager/Discharge Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2018
I've been with Northwell for 16 years and have grown from secretarial to managerial. Northwell thrives on promoting from within. The salary is competitive, but there are other hospital systems that pay more for the same title or job description.
Pros
great culture
Cons
too conglomerate
December 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As New York State's largest private employer, our employees have the chance to move throughout our corporate locations, hospitals and outpatient facilities. We hope that you are able to grab an unbelievable opportunity with us again in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwell Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwell Health.

Powered by Comparably