Northwest Academy Employee Reviews

If you love to help kids this is the place you need to be .
Dorm Parent (Former Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVFebruary 1, 2018
It’s a great place if you’re good with kids , you have to have patience and be on your feet at all times , if you’re there for just a check then the jobs not for you , it’s bigger then a paycheck it’s guiding kids to the right path .
Pros
Free lunches, help kids, understandable bosses, fun environment, great co workers
Cons
I can’t find one
Was a great private school
Elementary & Middle School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2017
Northwest Academy became First Baptist Academy and Houston Christian High School. It is no longer in business. It was a great private school in the 1980-90's.
Fast-paced but no benefits and no advancements
Dorm Parent (Former Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVSeptember 15, 2017
This is a family owned business. This facility houses kids who have been to jail/juvenile detention centers and have mental health issues. There is no actual management, the turn over rate is high, no benefits (even for full time employees), no rehabilitation for the kids, everyone is severely underpaid, and no advancements. The only benefit is being able to help the kids with whatever issues they had and be supportive of them. A typical day in a position there consist of being in charge of about 16 kids; 1/16. I had to make sure they were up by a certain time, dressed and ready to go on there day. I was basically their guardian for 8 hours. When it came to job security there really was none. One day you had a job and the next you are gone for unexplained reasons. Also people quit in a matter of a week due to no communication of the administrative staff and the frustrations.
Pros
Helping the children
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, underpaid
Dont work for this company
Former member (Former Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVSeptember 13, 2017
It's a family business it's all about what they want, they play favorites. They do not care about their staff. You do get to help kids who do have Behavior and mental issues. That is the only good thing about this job the impact you will get by helping the children. It's all about the money for this company. They let employees for no reason no job security with this company.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, lack of respect, lack of training, lack of control, it's all about who you know, lack of appreciation
Place needs improvement
Dorm Parent (Former Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVMay 30, 2017
It is a family business. No one knows how to communicate with the employees. Screaming and disrespectful Upper-Staff. Some are racist and you are under paid for the job.
Cons
No respect. No structure
Beautiful Setting!
Life staff (Current Employee) –  Naples, IDMay 15, 2017
I enjoy the people I work with and the setting is beautiful. I feel like I am helping to make a kids life better by being here and it's rewarding to see the transformation from when the kids get there to when they leave. Each day is different and I like the variety. Some days are stressful but still manageable. My coworkers are part of a team working toward the same goal and I feel like my contributions are noticed.
Pros
great meals for staff, flexible hours, beautiful setting, excellent benefits
Doing Meaningful Work
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Naples, IDApril 26, 2017
Working with students who have gotten off track and need clinical and academic support to get back on track is fulfilling, meaningful and rewarding. It makes it easy to get up and head out the door to work each day knowing that I am helping to make a difference with students and their families.

Being witness to the personal growth of a student from day one of enrolling into Northwest Academy to graduation day when they share their gratitude to Northwest Academy and the lessons they have learned. They often share it was a difficult journey but one that saved their lives and got them back on track.

Northwest Academy is owned by Universal Health Services, which has been recognized by Fortune as a “World’ Most Admired Company.” UHS makes it their mission to serve their clients/patients first while delivering high quality healthcare. UHS employs more than 77,000 individuals throughout the U.S. and has offers incredible benefits from health, dental and vision insurance to 401K and stock sharing.
A great company where you can make a difference.
Life Staff (Current Employee) –  Naples, IdahoApril 13, 2017
Northwest Academy provides a career where you can make a direct impact on the lives of troubled kids regardless of your position. You become a part of their lives and see the results of your work as they progress through the program and get healthy. The pay and benefits are very competitive, and the atmosphere is professional and fun. Management is a part of the team and I feel like my contribution is valued. I also appreciate the common goal of getting these kids healthy and retaining employees who contribute. The most enjoyable part of the job are the trips out to hike, bike and ski with the kids.
Pros
Free Meals, Pay, Benefits, Hours
Well, the food is good.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Naples, IDMarch 22, 2017
Atmosphere is a drama filled trainwreck. Management is poor and lacks integrity.
Therapy? How can you have a therapist who disciplines you when you tell the truth? Poor kids, they deserve much better.

NWA is a warehouse for kids who smoked weed and their rich parents couldn't deal with it.

....but the food is good.
Pros
Food
Scam
VOLUNTERY CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Naples, IDNovember 30, 2015
This place scams families with kids that smoke weed out of 90,000 dollars. Does not help the children, just keeps them out of society.
Pros
Cons
everything
Working at Northwest Academy has been very rewarding
Academic Director/Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Naples, IDApril 25, 2014
I have felt valued, and the skill set I bring to the school is appreciated by our students and their families. My first position was providing both the supervision of the academic department as well as the advising position for students seeking post-secondary options. As the student population increased, I was given the opportunity to create my own department, providing this service to students and families - and even sometimes kids of colleagues who may benefit from my expertise.
Pros
Colleagues creating a team approach
Cons
None at this time
Very pleasant place to work.
Amateur Radio Volunteer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVOctober 6, 2013
the Administration was very helpful and the students were well mannered and eager to learn Amateur Radio. All students who took the FCC license exam passed on the first try.
Productive, life changing environment.
Academic Aide (Current Employee) –  Amargosa Valley, NVAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at work for myself is just sitting in my little office grading online assignments. I occasionally am allowed to interact with the female students, but only if they need to be tutored.
I learned how to use Odyssey Ware, and how to grade assignments.
There really isn't a hard part to my job, but the most enjoyable thing would have to be when I get to read assignments that have to do with the student's future goals, or past experiences.
I enjoy all of my co-workers.
Pros
Free lunches
busy doing work
Math Instuctor (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILMay 2, 2012
i learned a lot from NWA such as class room management. everyday was different depending on which group of students were present at school.
Pros
summer school
Cons
35 hrs per week