Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter Employee Reviews

Very challenging work environment- but not due to kids; the staff and management treatment was unbearable and borderline unethical.
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARMarch 21, 2018
The kids may present a challenge if social work is new to you, but the experienced would likely really enjoy working with these kids.
The environment and staff are what’s toxic. But people create culture so the work culture always has the hope of improving; the foundational mission of this place is excellent and very worthy.
But until any change can occur, I will speak frankly to any person considering subjecting themselves to the judgment, gossip and slander, criticism, hazing, and pervasive dishonesty that ran from the top down through each shift worker encountered.
If you can survive it will be for the children; otherwise, the turnover rate speaks entirely for itself.
Pros
Free food, making a difference to the kids
Cons
No breaks, no phones permitted anywhere, misleading job advertising, bathroom breaks monitored and/or restricted
Worth It
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARFebruary 8, 2018
If you love working with kids and want to make a difference this is a great job for you. It is important to know before taking this job that it is NOT an easy job. Your buttons will get pushed, you will get frustrated, and you will cry. It is important to know that you will have a great support system and managers who will actually listen to you. You’ll have to remind yourself that this is about the kids and the kids come first. If you choose this job then expect to be challenged. It is 100% worth it though.
Pros
Free food, Pto, Good Benefits, Lots of Training
Cons
Short breaks, stressful
Family-oriented, meaningful work
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 5, 2018
Such an amazing place! The only job where I feel like I make a difference every day. The work is difficult and heart breaking but so rewarding! Pay is low, but the co-workers, work environment, and benefits make up for it. Chances for advancement within the organization. Amazing for college students- they have several schedules available and offer PT that works for students. I've been a part of the shelter family for many years and while we've had ups and downs, those who are committed to our Mission hold this place together to make a difference for all the kids we serve.
Pros
Free meals, awesome co-workers, super supervisor team, great benefits, flexible scheduling
Cons
Can be stressful, quick paced, requires lots of energy
The children are great but the work environment is terrible
Child Care Staff (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 19, 2017
I was employed here before and through the new changes being made, the child count is down and many changes are taking place that are neither in the best interest for the children or the staff.
Peer Reviews
Direct Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 14, 2016
They do peer reviews so everyone who does not like you gets to rate you- this is a popular contest not a true factor on what kind of work you do.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Mangment, Peer Reviews
Truly Makes a difference in the lives of children!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  ArkansasMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at work is just incredible. Never the same thing two days in a row! The employees work well together as a team, along with supervisors and case managers. Training was great when it was provided. We could have used refreshers on restraint training every 6 months or so, since we didn't use it very often. I loved the opportunity to promote to full time after working only a few months. And I fell passionately in love with the opportunity to work in the field! Definitely my first choice for a career.
Pros
Meals during shift, your breaks are highly encouraged, and super flexible with emergency life circumstances
Cons
Lower pay than other similar jobs in the area