Northwest Federal Credit Union

Northwest Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA55 reviews
Lack of management review
The quality of my work experience at NWFCU declined sharply after two years with my reassignment to a different manager upon the departure of the Controller, to whom I had previously answered. Whereas in the past I was given tremendous autonomy to perform my tasks as required, with little supervision, my new manager engaged in the practice of micromanaging the work of all of her subordinates. She questioned work that I had been performing for over two years and that had been signed off by auditors and NCUA officials. I was not able to do anything right by her, and after enduring this for 1.5 years I gave notice. My departure has caused me financial hardship, but my mental health was declining while under this manager. I had met with HR twice, and nothing was resolved. And as the accounting department was small, I had no option to transfer to another division.
Pros
First two years were wonderful, very good benefits, work/life balance
Cons
HR ignores the complaints against their managers, corporate climate was beginning to change in a negative way.
Fast Paced Customer/Employee Focused Extroverted Company
The work was challenging, the company has many employee morale activities, the benefits are great. The company seems full of extroverts and they are mostly morning people. Not a lot of wiggle room for people who are neuro-atypical or introverted. No real telework policy in place but some alternative work arrangements.
Pros
Employee Morale activities quarterly, weekly popcorn, fun events
Cons
Rigid schedule. Extrovert-centric
Software developer
Began my career at Northwest Federal Credit Union. I was able to start out as a teller and work my way up the chain. I went to school while employed there and moved into the IT department prior to graduation. Great company to work for.
Collections
This place likes to talk about diversity and inclusion but what they practice is something entirely different. If your time there wasn't what you thought it should be, you should contact the EEOC
Pros
It was a job
Cons
it was
Overworked and Micromanaging managers
The pay and benefits were good. Bonuses and COLA was faded out around 2013-15. The management teams were a click. If you wasnt part of it...you lose to move up.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Very poorly managed
Poor management, especially at the highest levels. Incredible levels of inefficiency and ineptitude. They constantly started new projects or made decisions only to realize they don’t have the resources or ability to carry through, and then had to backtrack or come up with difficult workarounds, to the detriment of both employees and members.
Some what stable job.
Turn around has been sever and it seems that change is mentioned but at the top it is still the same.

Signs of growth are apparent but trust and empowerment is not evident.
Pros
Growth is apparent
Cons
Volume of work is causing a huge reduction of ROI.
Bad Management
I was trained by a girl who only worked there 8 months and never did processing before. I was teaching her more than she was me! Bad decision. I was undervalued. It was hard to go to work each day
Great company to work for
Small company but value their employee. Have small IT group. Most development is on premise. Slowly getting into cloud development. Organize often social gathering to keep employees happy. Also, offer lots of opportunities to volunteer in communities in DMV area.
Good Place
Had to answer phones calls through out the day barely had breaks and lunch was to short, learned quick, had good members and bad but manageable. Sometimes you would go without eating because it was too busy.
You won’t last long
It’s exciting when you first start but a few months after you realize they are full of it. Don’t trust anyone!!! Middle management under high stress and confused because executives are unrealistic. Most importantly the technology sucks! It’s hard to be efficient and fast with slow computers and software. Department training is peer training which puts you at risk for not knowing everything you need to know in case certain things occur, it will be your fault. Either you will leave on your own or be forced out because of small things that they stack against you. Not all departments allow you to move within NWFCU, keep that in mind. Also, very little if any career development expect for middle management who are already under qualified. Not sure it’s worth it but you can find out for yourself. Unfortunately, I didn’t work from home, you’re more than likely to last longer if you do. Not ever department has that option.
Pros
Pay, benefits, co workers and paid volunteer
Cons
Management, Technology (slow out dated software and computers), high turnover rate
good place to work
northwest is becoming more and more like a bank. management keeps taking things away from employee and not offering replacements. it used to be a member focused organization, but now it is trending towards sales numbers.
Consumer Lending not a family
I did not like working for NW CU. The lending team micro managed. They do not have the proper training. Management team ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NEED TRAINING. The lead does not know how to talk to her employees.
Pros
Popcorn Wednesday
Cons
No overtime
Worst Job I Ever Had!!!
As it has been said previously these people are a joke!!! Management is horrible and have no clue what they are doing. Anything that makes sense they do the exact opposite. Some of the team leads shouldn’t be in their positions because they give incorrect information, they’re never on the same page. Employees are overworked with the high call volume and they can’t get anyone to stay because the work environment is horrible not to mention if you don’t pass the clearance you’re fired. Personally I think they hire people who they know will not pass but just to have someone working there for about a year or so they hire them. Don’t get sick either because they’ll be quick to show you the door. Run far away from this place they have no regard for your health or well being just want a robot available to take calls!
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Everything else is a con
I would never recommend anyone to work in the Collections Department
OThe management there is no good they do not care about the employees and they are not trustworthy they will write you up for no reason at all and make you feel like you are working in a prison
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Horrible management
Salary good /Management poor
This company does give you flexibility in your day to day as far as working and your duties. Salary is good but management is lacking. Management is not on the same page and have people watching your every move soon as you mess up.
Pros
salary and flexible working hours
Cons
management is all over; nobody on same page
Understaffed and Overwhelmed
We grew exponentially over the past few years with indirect lending and we did not have the infrastructure in place. It's getting to the point where it is impossible to complete our daily work. Management has told us that it is not in the budget to hire new people. It is a great jumping off point if you would like to start a career in the financial field.
Great work environment, they truly invest in their employees.
They truly do care about their members and employees. The people there are great, all very nice and down to earth. All of upper management that I had the opportunity to meet was very kind, professional, business oriented, and worked not just for the credit union and its members, but also for its employees.
Fun and casual
Typical day: Meetings where your words are used against you, mandatory lunches, and being buried under tasks. Be seen and not heard, agree with everything, and work until you are replaced.
Productive environment with a keen focus on member service
This was a good work culture and environment. Everyone is focused on providing exceptional member service. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting internal and external member needs. The hardest part of the job was not being able to complete daily tasks. Overall, it was a great experience for me.
Pros
Work environment, staff, culture, and exceptional benefits.
Cons
Volume of work at times was a challenge.
This place is a joke!
Manager's are conniving, self serving and incompetent. Favoritism and taking care of their lunch buddies in the workplace is first among all else.
CEO is in over his head

This place must have paid the Washington Business Journal a ton of money to be named one of the area's "Best Places to work"> Because it is anything but.
Pros
If you are one of the few "IN" with management your are in good shape
Cons
If you are not "IN" with management your days are numbered starting 1st day in the door.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwest Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8