Northwest Florida State College Employee Reviews

Former Director-Contract
Program Director/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLMay 31, 2019
Nice, pleasant atmosphere with great management and employees. Contract positions create an unstable, insecure work environment. Some turnover in administrative positions but I would work there again. The nature of education is based on enrollment and productive numbers. Being a state college, tough decisions, have to be made, it's usually, not personal but business. The president and most upper management, believe in students, being a priority.
Pros
Employee relationships, salary/benefits
Cons
employee turnover, contract positions
A great place to work where you are treated like family
ABE/GED Instructor (Current Employee) –  Niceville, FLApril 17, 2019
Even a part-time employee is one of the family at NWFSC, and everyone is treated with kindness. The Adult Education Department is separate from the College in many ways, but we are all still one.
Pros
Many campuses so easy to work close to home.
Cons
Main campus sometimes feels remote.
Tyrant
FL (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 27, 2018
Those who disagreed with the administration are labeled "organizational terrorists." I'm not kidding. Look it up in NWF Daily News. Out with the old in with the new.
Slow pace quite environment
Career Services/Tester Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 30, 2018
nwfsc is ok, the pay is not much though. Management is making changes that increase recruitment. Overall think it is a good place to learn a new skill and establish a work history.
Pros
longivity
Cons
work hours
Low Cost Tuition - Uncompassionate Leadership
N/A (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 20, 2018
College terminates employees regularly each year. Employees are on an annual contract without job security or advancement. Brings in people with connections to existing leadership (nepotism and cronyism) sending hard working employees away without consideration. If leadership doesn't care about their employees, how can they care about their students? Marketing campaigns all show and no practice. Upper leadership benefits while subordinate staff suffer. May go to merit based pay (another means of preferential treatment for the favored few). Legislators have offices on campus ... political favor. It's who you know, not what you know at this college. In many cases, classes are offered once every 2 years, so if you miss out on a class, you have to wait an entire year or longer to get the class you need to graduate.
Pros
Low Tution
Cons
Uncaring Leadership
Loved my job until the true colors of out new Present became visible. His main goal is out with the old in with the new. Prestige & Money #1.
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLMay 19, 2018
I loved my job and working with all the students that came to our Campus. My supervisor is an asset to the school and a joy to work with. Our students appreciate the help we have given them and we enjoyed helping them. But as of June 30 2018, my supervisor & I have been eliminated.
Pros
Good hours for a part time position.
Cons
No benefits at all.
Don't work here!
professor (Current Employee) –  Niceville, FLJanuary 14, 2018
The upper management has zero respect for their employees! The college is totally dysfunctional!

We are being managed by people with little experience in the field. They guess at solutions to problems then blame the faculty if the solutions don't work

Employees are expendable.

We have no step increases and haven't had a raise since 2009. You will not survive financially at this college
Pros
Free parking
Cons
No raises, no advancement, poor management
Great place to learn and work
CLASS TUTOR (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 14, 2017
North West Florida State College is a wonderful school!

There are so many people and resources in place to help all students succeed.

My boss was the head of the department and I was hired to be a tutor in some of his classes. I would sit through the lecture and then walk around the room checking with the students to see if they needed additional help.
Pros
Great campus
Cons
Has lost the small twon feel now that it's a state college.
Easy-going workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLDecember 3, 2017
I was able to learn how things worked in the education department. My boss was very understanding any time an issue came up dealing with my daughter, as I am a single mom.
Loved this job
Scribe/transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 10, 2017
I enjoy helping people and this was my opportunity to do so. This was also a great learning experience for me. I was also a college student myself so it was great to be in a different class helping a student.
Pros
When needed you were contacted
Cons
Contract job paid monthly
Northwest Florida State College
Career Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 9, 2017
I worked at one of the satellite campuses and loved it. Because of it's size, I was tasked with multiple responsibilities. With just getting my degree, was exactly what I needed. I learned so much from working here and the faculty and staff were AMAZING for the most part.
Pros
Small Campus
Cons
Small Campus
Best Employer
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLApril 13, 2017
It was the greatest experience of my life. Walking across the campus was pure joy. I would still be working there today, but I had to relocate. Best employer ever!
A great place to learn and develope skills.
Financial Aid Specialist II (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 18, 2016
Obtained my degrees from this institution. Experiences a multiple array of work environments and learned from all of them. Enjoy the opportunity to work and learn and excel.