Northwest Kidney Centers Employee Reviews

Love it!
Clinical Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WASeptember 19, 2018
Northwest Kidney Centers is the best company to work for. I feel beyond appreciated as an employee. I love my coworkers and all staff. If you want to be in the medical/healthcare field, APPLY! We have tons of openings.
Company that does not care much about their employees!
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 24, 2018
Too much politics within the organization. Focused too much on patients and totally disregards employees. Never gives incentives to extremely overworked employees.
Pros
Higher than usual wage.
Cons
Unhealthy work demands
At an Inflection Point
Business Analyst, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2018
As a project manager my work schedule and responsibilities are not representative of the majority of the staff; thus, this is a general review of the Company.

NKC is a company on the cusp of becoming a leader in its field or begin relegated to a historical reference. While the organization has taken steps to change - its current leadership team lacks the experience and capability to change its culture.

The issues with leadership is similar to other technical fields - there is an assumption that if one is good at their technical job (e.g. being a nurse) they should be naturally be a good leader (nurse manager). That is often not the case. Couple that flawed assumption with a lack of any type of leadership training and you get people in leadership positions who want to do positive but don't know how.

The culture is not necessarily bad, its just stagnant - trapped in a mindset from 20 years ago. Without talented leader it will be difficult to shift a 1990's mindset to the new millennium and sustain the change it is desperately trying to implement.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Lack of Leadership Skill
First outpatient dialysis unit in the world
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 7, 2018
I worked at NKC in the 80's as a staff and teaching RN. When I came back 19 years later, much had changed but also many things were the same. I was hired as a manager so my focus and experience was different. NKC actually valued my outside experience and were willing to listen to my concerns, suggestions for improvement.
Pros
Loyal to their employees
Cons
Dialysis reimbursement has been cut
Nkc
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2018
I have been volunteering with NKC since i was 16. I learned about kidney failure, Diabetes, and how the Dializer machine works. I checked patients in, assist with getting proper weight on each patient, and i also tour the dializer machine down and would set it back up. I also volunteered at main events once a year to educate about Diabetes.
Pros
Very educational
Cons
N/a
Excellent vision for patients, not good for employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2017
unprofessional HR department
clinical staff overworked, increase in employee error with potential patient endangerment
Managers not required to take leadership workshops resulting in poor management
Pros
free parking
Northwest Kidney Centers is a great place to work.
Hemodialysis Technician II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 1, 2017
I work eight hours a day on a typical day. I have learned to assist patients to improve the quality of their lives. Educate patients with dialysis questions and concerns. I may not have worked in all of the departments of Northwest Kidney Centers, but I do know there is a variety of dialysis treatments. Working at Northwest Kidney Centers you will experience and learn diversity, compassion, patience, and teamwork. The patients become a part of the family, for me the hardest part of working at Northwest Kidney Centers is when a patient has moved on and was not given the quality of care when there is not allotted time to do so due to the busy schedule. The most enjoyable part of working at Northwest Kidney Centers is how many lives you can improve.
A Sad Experience
Nephrologist Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 25, 2017
NWKC was a very painful experience. I rell do not know what to say about them. I feel that many of the patients were treated unfairly and there is a lot of racism that interupts the work of healing. It was very sad.
Pros
exelent staff and wonderful patients
Cons
poor supervision
stressful
Dialysis Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 24, 2017
Workload is intense not a lot of support from upper management. turn around time from patient to patient is very short. Would like more time with patients

Best thing is the patients
Pros
vacation time
Cons
not able to take vacation time due to staffing
Great company with an impressive legacy
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2017
This dialysis provider started the whole outpatient dialysis industry, they really care about the patients and are committed to doing the right thing. Any staff shortages are a symptom of the national nursing shortage and not the organization, they really try to get the resources that are needed and provide as much support as possible.
Pros
Caring team and a committed non-profit provider
Cons
Co-workers call in sick/FMLA often
Productive workplace with dome opportunity for growth
Dialysis Technician (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMarch 27, 2017
I have worked with Northwest Kidney Centers for 3 years. Starting as an administrative professional, and advancing into a clinical technician. The opportunity was great. I am now seeking further opportunities for advancement in a hospital setting.
we were often short staffed
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 2, 2016
the company did not pay the tech well enough to keep them from quitting. As a result nurses often worked overtime. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough tech help
Educational and supportive
Hemodialyis Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 6, 2016
The education department keeps us abreast on pertinent medicare requirements and continuing education. Weekly meeting with the manager. Good benefits and pto. Co workers are excellent team player. Nurses are supportive and helpful.
Pros
Good pay, long shift with overtime
Most of the time a hectic work place.
Dialysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 22, 2016
NKC was often a hectic work environment. with little support from management and staff. I experience a lot of employee turn over during my tenure. I would not work here again.
Nonprofit
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 22, 2016
Supportive social work department. The organization is patient- centered. The work environment can vary greatly unit to unit, but is an overall good learning experience for those coming to medical social work with no experience and desiring a clinical setting. As with any job, there are wonderful people and those that are more challenging to work with. The balance is overwhelmingly toward the good people.
The patients make it all worth it
Dialysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2016
This is a 10 hour a day job, with people continually watching you and running to tell management. A lot of down time, and the team work could improve a lot. The unit use to be in a different location, at that time the the time work was the best. There were times when you needed help and didn't even have to ask for it. Also at the other location the management was not breathing down your neck, this unit had the best ratings in the entire company.
Pros
The patients
Cons
This job is rewarding but working schedule is hard
RN (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 10, 2015
You can learn about machine, fisutla, and out patinet setting. One bad thing is working hours. It startes from 5am to 3: 30 pm. You have to move all the time.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 15, 2015
Very good benefits, friendly atmosphere. I just started working here, but so far I enjoy it. I would prefer to work days, but eve shift is not so bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwest Kidney Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about