Northwest Youth Corps Employee Reviews

A Life Changing Employment Opportunity
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 13, 2018
The NWYC is run by amazing people that have a passion for the work, lifestyle, but most importantly; the corps members. From the moment you enter the program up until the very second you leave, you are treated like family by the staff and other corps members. The hard work and discipline that is required in everyday activities can either make or break someone. My experience at NWYC has definitely made me.
Not Great but OK
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 22, 2018
Your day started at 7:30 and was hard grueling work all day till 4:30 PM. A lot of labor not for someone who does not like physical activity. Not something I would do again.
Youth Community Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 27, 2018
This non-profit was not organized and management did not communicate well with employees. A lot more information and training needed to be done before crew leaders went out on their own. The experience could have been a lot better and smoother if there was more explanation of duties and training.
Hardcore Fun and Hard work
Assistant Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 20, 2018
Worked as an assistant crew leader for a season. One of the hardest working jobs I have ever had but also one of the most fulfilling. Watching those kids give it their all everyday digging trail and clearing paths, made it worth it. I believe it is something wholesome that the world is missing and I think that every young man or woman should work one season with NWYC. Usually your day would start before the sun came up and end long after it went down. Most days were ten hours long for the crew members and about 13 to 16 for crew leader and assistant crew leader. They would have to plan out each day the night before and prep each day the morning of. On top of that there is about an hour of SEED curriculum that is taught to the crew members (kids). That is usually rotated between crew leader and assistant crew leader. The hardest part of the job is finding the get up and go to sometimes hike 5 miles just to work ten hours then hike 5 miles back to camp. Then get up and do it again and again. The enjoyable part was making your mark on the next generation and helping to mentor kids in a positive way. Watching them develop and grow a little as they each met the challenge that was presented each day. Seeing them come together as a team to move a 450 lb boulder then fill the hole in and retread the trail. All in a days work.
Pros
The views and the comradery
Cons
Poison Ivy!!!
Creates Financial Difficulty but builds experience
Steward of the Land (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 18, 2018
I would highly recommend this job to young adults living at home. It is not practical to work here and when you live on your own and have bills to pay. Make sure you ask questions and prepare to make very little money. The experience was positive besides the financial hardships. NYC provides opportunities to grow and find yourself. They offer many certificates that will help further possible job opportunities in outdoor government jobs. I made close friends and learned a lot. The leaders there are amazing and deserve way more than what they get.
Fun And Educational
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 30, 2018
In my opinion it felt fun just earning money doing Conservation work. I felt I learned much about different people's nature's. Today I feel like if I hadn't chosen Northwest Youth Corps I'd be incarcerated.
Pros
Beautiful Natural Scenery
Cons
In my opinion none
Northwest youth corps
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 4, 2018
It was an amazing place to work. the work was hard and helped the community, the people where passionate and helpful. Even the hard times where fun and had purpose.
Unpredictable, difficult, but sometimes rewarding job
AmeriCorps Northwest Service Corps Team Member (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 1, 2017
A typical day at work: trail work for 8-10 hrs, not including travel time usually
What I learned: many trail work skills, as well as group/teamwork, resilience in the face of difficult situations and change of plans, various certifications including Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Chainsaw, Leave No Trace
Management: Our project manager was not ver organized or helpful with answering questions or giving us our schedules and project specs in advance. My crew leader was very good though.
Workplace culture: enjoyed working with my crew members
Hardest part: not knowing our schedules in advance and not being prepared for what the job entailed because the job description was nothing like what we actually did and the interviewer had no idea what it would be like either. We all thought it would be "front-country camping (car camping)", so when we ended up needing to backpack incredibly heavy backpacks into the backcountry for 9 days straight with no outside communication and no previous experience with backpacking... that was an unhappy surprise.
I also did not appreciate having to hike in the dark when we didn't know where we were going or how long it would take. I would have liked our project partners to have come with us and shown us the way, and for them to have prepared us for what we'd be doing better.
Most enjoyable: definitely the beautiful places we got to work, especially Shi Shi Beach, Hurricane Ridge, and many other places in Olympic NP, Coleville NF, and Columbia River Gorge. I also enjoyed my crew leader and crew members, I made good friends.
Pros
Got many useful certifications for free through NYC, made many friends, got to see many beautiful places, learned how to be calm in difficult situations and learned that I can get through hard times
Cons
Variable schedule, didn't know in advance where we were going or for how long, wasn't prepared for what the job entailed
Learning experience Great for entry level workers
Conservation Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 25, 2017
Working for northwest youth corps was a great learning experience i learned all about nature, what dangers to look out for on trails when your walking for fun or when your on the job.When on the trail you always need to look for branches that are overhanging caught on other branches, those are called snags. they can fall at any given moment sometimes injure and once in awhile can kill. The environment at NYC is great, your outside filled with the natural smells of earth, the breeze ( sometimes cool sometimes warm), you wake up with many others, work with many others. Northwest youth corps is great for working on self esteem. I would have to say the hardest part of the job, is waking up at 3 am and strapping the boots on, and immediately starting an uphill or downhill hike, not forgetting the rocky, slimy terrain. the most enjoyable part of the job is your in an environment that allows personal growth and healthy work conditions. constantly outside which is great for your emotional health.
Pros
beautiful enviorment, fun loving people
Cons
long hours, not many breaks
it was good
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 8, 2017
a lot of the time there was good for personal development as well as a educational experience.
the leaders and rover helped me in my time of emotional stress.
Excellent work, excellent people, great culture
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2017
Great place to work, nothing but good things to say. The people are easy to work with and the company has a good vision. The hours are long and the pay isn't great, but the experience is much more worthwhile than the pay. Crew leading is pretty much a 24/7 job, but it's worth every second.
Great experience but very hard work
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 16, 2017
Working for Northwest Youth Corps during the summer is pretty difficult but it’s a good experience. You definitely need to have the right mindset for it and it’ll set you up to work hard at other jobs.
Hard work but fun
Youth Corps Camping (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 22, 2017
I did a month long program with Northwest Youth Corps. I made a couple friends here. The work was hard but it taught me many valuable things such as how to work well with others and how to be a good leader.
Pros
Made some friends, good experience
Cons
Short breaks, gross lunch
Rewarding and fun outdoors
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 24, 2017
When I first was approached for the job I was unsure. After the first week I loved it. Every week was an adventure. No two weeks were alike. An awesome beginning job for anybody.
Productive and very hands-on
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJune 8, 2017
A typical workday would involve a hike of over 1 mile a day to the work site where we would either weed out plants, remove beetle kill trees from paths, build or improve trails
Pros
Transportation
Cons
Not free lunch, short breaks, lot of walking
Some of the best memories I've got
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 6, 2017
It's back breaking work that you feel the next day. You work long hours. You'll have blisters and bruises. You'll sleep like the dead you're so exhausted. You'll have the best time of your life. You're doing rewarding work, with a crew that'll feel like family, that you can look back at and feel good about. Would recommend 100%.
Pros
You'll never forget it
Cons
Bring a great pair of boots and a whole lot of moleskin
Hard working
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 19, 2017
I learned how to work in a crew aspect. Also I learned how to properly use tools and camp with little to no supplies. It gave me an appreciation for myself as well.
hard work
Forestry Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  northern idahoApril 18, 2017
woke up at 5 am to cook for a crew of 8 and got to work at 8.we backpacked with heavy bags down into the woods about 3 miles to rebuild foot bridges on hiking paths. we used crowbars, Pulaski, Axes, Shovels, Hammers, and Rock picks. We works with the US Forest Service and had to carry our supplies to the worksite up to 200 yards away sometimes having to carry materials up to 100lbs
Pros
hard work
Cons
Had to reuse 2 pairs of cloths for one week
Commuity
Trail work, landscaping (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 1, 2017
This was a community service type thing. We traveled and lived in the wilderness during this time and helped me gain leadership skills during my time there.
Fun and hard work in the outdoors
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 5, 2017
It is very challenging for a high-schooler, but you learn a lot of the natural environment and perform hard work maintaining trail systems.
Pros
Camping in the outdoors
Cons
Very little wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwest Youth Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5