Northwestern Energy Employee Reviews

was ok to work for before the changes
Technician Operator (Current Employee) –  Anaconda, MTMay 20, 2018
When management changed so did the morale. only got worse and is not looking to change for the better soon. Long hours worked for less pay then other companies doing the same job.
Pros
The people i work with.
Cons
How management treat its workers.
Dedicated, hard-working company with community mindset
Customer Associate (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 22, 2018
NorthWestern Energy is an excellent place to work. With fair compensation, a culture based in safety and excellence and fantastic upper-level management, one can be proud to say that they work for the utility company. They have fair business practices and are strong supporters of the communities they serve.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
hard to advance in the company-have to wait for retirements
Good Company
Corrosion (Former Employee) –  Butte, MTFebruary 2, 2018
NWE is a good company with fairly strong morals and ethics. Was treated well and always fairly even thought I was employed at a lower position. Great place to work.
Great place
Dispatch/Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Black Eagle, MTJanuary 2, 2018
I worked for NorthWestern for six years. I only left because I moved across the country. It is very difficult to get in, jobs do not open up often. I have since changed careers.
benefits
Cons
job advancement not available
Trade good pay for poor work culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  MontanaDecember 9, 2017
Northwestern Energy has a STRONG tendency to hire and promote relatives as others have said. In some cases, up to 4 relatives in management. HOLY conflict batman. This results in managers that lack experience and skills. Combine that with low performers that don't receive discipline and you start to imagine the work culture.

The pay and benefits are good, especially for the area of the country, but the work culture is lacking. The IT and technology applications are severely behind the curve, and the pace of change is turtle slow.

There are LOTS of employees grinding it out to retirement because the pay and benefits are good. By grinding, I mean just do the job - no new ideas, no self imposed challenges, nothing extra, just do the job making as little noise as possible.

Most disturbing to me was fact that the company doesn't make business decisions in the interest of the rate payer - EVER. All decisions are reflective of the impact to the shareholder. Most companies have a true drive in decision making to cut expense. This company makes some feeble attempts at that, but in the end would much rather spend more and add the cost to rates than cause an impact to the shareholder or their stock price. It makes for good retirement packages I'm sure. Having worked for 3 utilities, I've seen the difference between those willing to work to control cost and this. Night and Day.

I'm a big believer in CHARMA, and it will come around eventually.

Anyway, not trying to steer anyone away, but be advised: the job is good for pay and bennies, but you won't be challenged
  more... or promoted based on skills and knowledge.  less
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Work environment and lack of challenge.
Terrible advancement oportunities
Compliance (Former Employee) –  MontanaAugust 30, 2017
If your not related to someone at the company or formerly at the company who is/was in management you will not advance. The company is very behind the times in technology and innovation and could never be a technology leader as they are always looking at what other utilities are doing rather than being at the forefront.

Very high tendency to promote inexperience and those who are not technically capable. If you are capable you are forever going to be the workhorse and will not be promoted.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
No advancement oportunities
good place to work
Cash Remittance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Butte, MTMay 20, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Northwestern energy and the pay was awesome and the people also were awesome I was a customer service rep and a meter tech and a cash remittance specialist for them and I was always treated well
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
time off was hard to get as a customer service rep
Very great place to work. Safe, fun and very rewarding!!!!!
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTApril 25, 2017
While I worked for NorthWestern Energy I learned so much valuable information. They are by far the best employer i have ever worked for. I am currently trying extremely hard to get hired on with them right now in a different department in which i went to college for. Absolutely my favorite company.
Pros
Great work enviornment, great pay and benifits.
Cons
Clocking out to go home.
Good place to work. Pay was below standard.
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 6, 2017
I enjoyed my employment here but the expectations of the company far exceeded the pay and the training given. Very "call center" oriented. Satellite offices not given credit for work and time invested.
Pros
Very friendly staff
Credit/Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huron, SD 57350April 3, 2017
Most of the day is spent answering phones and helping customers with new service, transfer of services, collections, payment terms, and customers making payments.
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
Upper managements lack of communication
Electric & Natural Gas Provider
Electric Transmission System Operator (Current Employee) –  Butte, MTFebruary 3, 2017
Rotating Shift NERC Certified Electric Transmission Operator in a typical office environment. Office operates on a 24/7/365 day staffing.
Not a bad place to work
Technical Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTDecember 28, 2015
Overall a decent place to work. Really good people and not a bad environment. The training opportunities could be better..
Pros
good benefits
Cons
great place to work with many opportunities
Journeyman Gasman/Serviceman (Former Employee) –  north platte, neJuly 23, 2015
Learned how to work in a team atmosphere with a lot of different personalities. Learned how to operate advanced tools and equipment meant specificially for this industry.
Good company
Design Drafter (Current Employee) –  BozemanMarch 23, 2015
Good company to work for.

Day to day can be stressful with unhappy customers but overall fairly easy going.

Good group of co-workers.
Technical Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTFebruary 24, 2015
Helpful coworkers great work hours good compensation. There are great opportunites for advancement and it's just a fun place to work.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Not alot of extra IT training.
Toxic Office Environment
Dispatcher/Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTFebruary 5, 2015
NWE is a good company with great benefits. Office management is horrible. Very clickish in the branch offices - if you didn't 'fit' with the current group of ladies working there, you were going down. No full training or explaination for certain tasks, yet expectations of complete competency for them. Upper management did nothing to resolve issues, just basically backed up the individual who had been there for 20 plus years without actually getting a full account of any problems.
Pros
great vacation time, benefits
Cons
poor human resources, office management, inadequate pay for job
Great working experience.
Substation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Butte, MTSeptember 25, 2014
Northwestern Energy is a great company to work for with many advancement opportunities. Their compensation is more than fair for the region, and their benefits package is more than adequate for a single person (can't speak for spouses/families).
Pros
Plenty of advancement opportunity. Friendly coworkers.
Cons
Relocation options are not ideal.
Very few good things about working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Huron, SDApril 13, 2014
I had the non pleasure of working at this company for almost 5 years. I HATED the fact that they hire family of family consistently. Almost everyone I knew was hired because there stepfather worked there. Or they knew a manager or a supervisor well. The red tape and the bureaucracy was amongst some of the worst I have dealt with in my working career. I learned that they won't fire you no matter how bad you suck as long as you try just a little. I learned that they don't stick to their own policy and procedures. I learned they are a bunch of hypocrites. I would run far away and not put my resume in here to work EVER.
Pros
Lots of PTO and pretty flexible on vacation days and days off
Cons
They hire family and friends a lot - even if they are very incompetent.
Great, always doing different things, working in all sorts of subdivisions.
Hand excavation, Journeymen helper. (Former Employee) –  Marion, SDApril 12, 2014
I loved working for Northwestern energy's, putting in gas lines, setting up meters, using heavy machinery, even digging customers by hand.

loved it all, I drove a combination of 2 hours a day to get to my home base in Marion SD. It was a great learning experience.
Pros
Learning form Journeymen, doing different things every day.
Cons
The 2 hour drive and the bugs.
Very hard to get hired, experience gained outside company is not recognized.
Lineman (Current Employee) –  Butte, MontanaMay 22, 2013
The general attitude is " All pay is the same!" Management is intimidated by knowledge and ambition. The concept of giving the customers the extra effort when their power is off eludes them!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Hard to get hired unless you know someone, standards and ethics are very poor.