Northwestern Medical Center Employee Reviews

PSS (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTAugust 3, 2018
NMC is a nice place to work, they have many benefits that are great including reimbursement for physical activity and tuition. A relatively small hospital so everyone knows everyone and is friendly.
Management Needs Work
Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJuly 31, 2018
I worked here for about two years and I loved almost all of my coworkers throughout the whole hospital. The biggest issue is the management. Ask anyone who works there and they will tell you that management needs some serious work. They would rather fire you before talking to you or finding out the truth. You are replaceable and not seen as a valuable human. Every little mistake you make is documented and brought up against you as a constant reminder that you’re human and you make mistakes. And the employee recognition program they have is rigged. When it comes down to it, management controls every little thing you say and do at work and at home. If you are someone who doesn’t mind being a robot, I highly suggest you work here. It’s too bad because this place has the potential.
Pros
Coworkers
Run far away and fast
RN (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJuly 4, 2018
Small hospital where many employees are related to each other. Entirely too many managers who often have very little education or experience. They cannot effectively attain patient satisfaction scores on their own so they pay the Studer group to help with this and incorrectly implement 90% of the philosophies. They are in a great amount of debt and use a very poorly implemented electronic medical record. Poor job satisfaction amongst almost all employees. Highest turnover rate I’ve ever seen amongst clinical staff (nurses and providers). Education is valued very little.

There is a reason why they have always so many job openings in this economy compared to all other hospitals in Vermont. Don’t waste your time applying here.
Pros
The pay is decent, but benefits pale in comparison to most other hospitals
Cons
Culture, environment, work-life balance, and little to no opportunity for advancement
poor management
Neurosurgical Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2018
There was poor management and often understaffed. Although we were well paid, the pay not worth the under qualified over demanding management. Very high turn over as a result. Which is a shame because the doctors and nurses were excellent.
Not good
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2018
Northwestern is very racist towards black people, my direct doctor I work with was a good person to work with. But the office management is very unfair and racist
Management needs review
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, VTMarch 19, 2018
Management needs professional development to understand effective nursing retention and recruitment. This professional development also needs to be extended to charge nurses, supervisors and those who influence working conditions. Too many nurses leave after being trained to their unit.
Pros
RiveVT wellness program on site, lots of activities
Cons
usually have to work through lunch/dinner
This place is somewhere to avoid
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Albans, VTMarch 16, 2018
Poor management. HR never took care or handled bullies. Allowed for hitting, throwing , name calling and torment. Went many times with problems with several nurses and nothing was done or ever handled. Even though there where many witnesses.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
people
A good place to work
Application Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJanuary 9, 2018
The job is not bad at all. The benefits are excellent. Most coworkers are pleasant to deal with but some doctors and nurses can be difficult to work with. They can be extremely demanding. I find myself caught in between my manager, company policy and the desires of the medical staff and it is impossible to please everyone.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and pay
Cons
My manager does not acknowledge hard work and dedication.
Good people but not great management
Wellness Coach/Registered Dietitian, (Full-time (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJanuary 5, 2018
Love the people but management from many different departments make people dissatisfied. I loved my coworkers. The culture is changing and the hospital is growing which accounts for some of the dissatisfaction. It's a small hospital which is great for a sense of community-everyone knows your name but at times that leads to a buddy-buddy type of management which can work against some people
Great place to start in the medical field
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 26, 2017
I learned so much from working in the emergency room. Billing and coding, chart tear down. Assignment of rooms. The thrill of the fast paced environment.
Pros
Work 3 days off 4
Cons
Stress due to trauma in emergency room
Great co workers!
Registered Nurse - Family Birth Center (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 29, 2017
Love everyone who I work with. Management can be tricky, but it can be at every hospital. I want to relocate so that is my reasoning for leaving the hospital.
Nice community hospital
Nursing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 22, 2017
Small personal feel, not just a number. I have enjoyed my time here but hours are getting harder to come by. New construction is beautiful, large single patient rooms. Good management.
Great people
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 7, 2017
Staff is wonderful, management cares about the employees, schedules can be difficult but typical hospital problems. Beautiful new buildings! Parking is a very quick walk away from the main building.
Pros
great people
Cons
called frequently for OT
Great people!
Menu Host (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTOctober 13, 2017
I would love to return . I have become the person I am because of NMC. I was taught how to be a better employee. I just can't say enough wonderful things about NMC. I see that it seems to be about me but truly they were the best place I worked for and I wish I could go back to show them my integrity.
Team player
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJuly 20, 2017
A very positive work environment, everyone is always helping each other and working as a team. Excellent benefit packages and employee wellness programs, which have plenty of activities offered of many varieties. Earned time gives you so many hours each pay period worked, and others are able to donate time in case of emergency.

Still working on different pay levels for those that have been here longer or know how to do more. Need a way for merit based pay as most are getting the same raise even if they've earned to get more.
Pros
wellness programs, earned time always accruing, helpful team player coworkers
Cons
need to be dedicated, willing to sacrifice a lot of personal time, may know more but get same pay
Excellent place to work
Shift Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJuly 20, 2017
I feel fortunate to have worked with such a great team of people, striving to provide excellent care and make a difference in their local community and beyond. The RiseVT Program at NMC is inspirational. There are so many opportunities for education, and community service available to employees of NMC and their family members. The benefits are excellent. Overall an exceptional experience.
Enjoyed the People
RN Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJune 12, 2017
Loved the People
Loved the Culture
Loved the exercise room on site
Loved working with the front line staff to do process improvement
Loved working with Patient Relations and service recovery
Hardest part of the job was the long hours and commute
orientation and training; needed more time
Ma
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VT 05478May 23, 2017
I wasn't much of a fan working at this place. The other staff didn't help each other as much as they should and the staff was overworked for the amount of work they should have had.
Excellent place to work!!!
Family Nurse Practitioner/Urgent Care (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 21, 2017
The culture and environment is focused on patient and community care. The organization as a whole is focused on retention and employee satisfaction. Awesome place to work!!
Great Benefits and good work life balance
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTDecember 30, 2016
For the most part working at NMC is a very positive experience. It is a great organization and there are some wonderful people who work there. The one thing I find frustrating is that when I have an idea I get shot down before I even get started. I get the message that, this is how we do things and do not try to question it. I am not sure if that is just in my department or if it is hospital wide. I would also like to get to know the senior management staff a bit better.
Pros
Benefits Galore!
Cons
Upper level managment not as accessible as other organizations I have worked at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Northwestern Medical Center Reviews by Location